Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Wahhh are you serious? Man...hehe. I have this tiny Trinity 900mah pack I'll use and do the cut battery mod too. LW 2speed and shafts are on the car as well. Stockers are trued and are lookin fresh for the track. I won't bring the 8th since I'm well use to that car.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GBagRacing
Hey Hark, here's one for ya. Figure out how to loose the stock battery cover and you can knock off 13g of weight. Even the big clunky front diff cover is lighter than the battery cover.
A lighter car isn't always better. I drive an R40 thats almost 2004 spec and my son has a bone stock R40. He usually drives in the novice class where the extra weight is a good thing. The more hacking and bumping that goes on, the better a heavier car does. During the start of the race, he usually ends up with good position cause his car pushes (okay punts) the other cars out of the way. The extra weight also makes it easier to drive smoothly.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Anybody have any firsthand experiance with the Sanyo 1000mah AAA batteries. This place is selling the hump packs for pretty cheap. Was thinking about picking one or 2 up.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SANYO-6V-1000...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ive got a 1000mah sanyo pack. Looks very similiar to that pack....im sure its the same. Short wire and lots of power I gather. Havent charged it up yet as im waiting on my speedmind pack to show some wear.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I did the battery cover mod last night and using the TrinityAAA hump pack. The front does have less weight than the rear now, though I wonder how it's going to handle. I'll try it out later on today.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

I did the pack mod a fair while back, and thats how I ran all my cars with the centre mounted battery. I never really noticed a major change to the handling.

I always try to run my cars at 1730g or thereabouts as that is the legal weight. I super lightened my R40 at one point below 1700g and it works well, but you really need to adjust your setup to compensate.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys,
I seem to have a problem with my clutch. I ran my R40 for the first time the other day. A little background on the car to help with diagnoses first. I got this car from a guy in Florida, now the Mega ZX12 thats in the R40 was tuned for that weather down there and I am up in Chicago. I left the settings where they were considering I dont know anything about this Mill. What happen was once the car got warmed up, the clutch would remained engaged after I let off the throttle. If I braked the car it would stop but would continue to creep along abit.
I richened up the setting from there in fear that the tune may be too lean. Now the clutch engagement problem seems to have subsided after richening the settings. But I would like to know what the real problem(s) are that is causing this too happen. I would think that it will happen again once I start leaning the mill out for racing.
Thanks for the replies
Old 06-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PoPRC
Hey guys,
I seem to have a problem with my clutch. I ran my R40 for the first time the other day. A little background on the car to help with diagnoses first. I got this car from a guy in Florida, now the Mega ZX12 thats in the R40 was tuned for that weather down there and I am up in Chicago. I left the settings where they were considering I dont know anything about this Mill. What happen was once the car got warmed up, the clutch would remained engaged after I let off the throttle. If I braked the car it would stop but would continue to creep along abit.
I richened up the setting from there in fear that the tune may be too lean. Now the clutch engagement problem seems to have subsided after richening the settings. But I would like to know what the real problem(s) are that is causing this too happen. I would think that it will happen again once I start leaning the mill out for racing.
Thanks for the replies
The clutch nut just needs to be tightened down to raise the engagement point of the clutch. Just insert a small allen wrench through the hole in the clutch bell to reach the slot in the clutch nut. Tighten 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn at a time until you get the clutch to engage where you like it.

As for the motor, the carb settings can vary quite a bit depending on the atmospheric conditions, fuel, and type of track you run at. Its really not set it and forget it.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Joining the R40 crowd!!

Just raced my R40 for the first time Sunday. Pretty much stock LW shafts, Sirio .12-trp pro. I did O.K with it broke a pivotball piece. Took T.Q. and won the main So all and all really satisfied with the car. I have ran HPI nitro cars for a while all the way from the nitro 2 to the Super Nitro even ran some HPI Mini Nitro.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Fast Harry or anyone?

My buddy bought your HPI R40 2004 edition. I was wondering if I could get some pointers on the setup of the car Like springs, tires, mabye a body that works best? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.. Eric B K.C Mo. AKA the DotJumper
Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dotjumper
Just raced my R40 for the first time Sunday. Pretty much stock LW shafts, Sirio .12-trp pro. I did O.K with it broke a pivotball piece. Took T.Q. and won the main So all and all really satisfied with the car. I have ran HPI nitro cars for a while all the way from the nitro 2 to the Super Nitro even ran some HPI Mini Nitro.
Great to hear you did well! I started with HPI's with a RS4-2 then Racer-2. Where do you race?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dotjumper
My buddy bought your HPI R40 2004 edition. I was wondering if I could get some pointers on the setup of the car Like springs, tires, mabye a body that works best? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.. Eric B K.C Mo. AKA the DotJumper
You can check here.

http://www.pro-hobby.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6
Old 06-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default help

wondering if the r40 is better than mtx-4, i'm looking to get back into nitro, i have a serpent 705, but can't get parts where i live (kansas city) so people let me know what you think. thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Addict

Hobbytown OP has R40 parts on the wall. Which one is better? maybe the Mtx4 but I have seen more MTX3 that looks faster. I think the R40 drives very nice. And the 2005 model is at least equal to all the Mugen cars.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default thanks

thanks for the info, i think that i'm going to get the r40 hara edition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.