Wiki Posts
Search

HPI RS4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Default HPI RS4 questions

Hey everyone. Not really NEW to the RC world but I dont know everything about it. Also, new to this site. Anyways....I just bought a used but BARELY used HPI RS4 and I finally got it started and it seemed like it was running rich since i would go through a tank in about 1-2min. But now, when I try to start it, its trying to move the entire car. Some of my friends said the clutch is melted or a spring broke and the clutch is fully engaged now? Would that be the reasons? Do I have to change the entire motor out?

Also, I was looking for an exhaust for this motor...but since it is quite old i didnt know what would fit on it. But if you guys say I need another motor, what should I go with that will bolt right in? (not looking to break my pockets).

-Ant.

I appreciate all the help.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

So, you're racing the stock engine, right? Is that a Nitro Star .15 FE or something else?

About that problem, I agree that it is the clutch. Just buy a new set of clutch shoes and springs from tower hobbies or your LHS.

About the engine, why don't you go for the HPI engine replacement plan and get yourself a .12 or .18?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PocketAce
So, you're racing the stock engine, right? Is that a Nitro Star .15 FE or something else?

About that problem, I agree that it is the clutch. Just buy a new set of clutch shoes and springs from tower hobbies or your LHS.

About the engine, why don't you go for the HPI engine replacement plan and get yourself a .12 or .18?
bc im a noob and just got this yesterday. lol. I will take it apart tomorrow and see what has happened on the inside. the car starts but takes off in an instant. so I assume it is stuck engaged.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

It could be the clutch engaging too early. try changing the clutch and clutch springs. leaving the springs installed for long periods can soften the springs due to the continuous tension.

If the clutch were stuck the engine should stall as soon as you let off the throttle. So aside from the clutch check your engine tune and the clutch bearings.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Genius
If the clutch were stuck the engine should stall as soon as you let off the throttle. So aside from the clutch check your engine tune and the clutch bearings.
That's what it sounds that happened. From the first post, it looks like the car moves forward and then stalls, what would translate in a bad clutch.

OP: The HPI engine replacement program lets you send them the old engine and get a brand new one for a special price. Read the following link for the engine exchange program which yields some very inexpensive good engines:
http://www.hpiracing.com/engineexchange/
Old 01-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Addict

I appreciate it guys. But since im not a RC guru, i barely know what ya'll are talking about. lol.

I changed the clutch and I still had the saem result. It stayed engaged. I dunno, might have to take it to a pro but I really dont want to put a ton of moeny into it if it is so old and not worth it. Also, i cant get the motor out. Seems like he used loctite. I will try my best.

-Ant.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Turn on your radio and check your carb opening. At idle and braking it should be around 1.5mm.