Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best engine for 1/10 scale

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'll take the good cheap motor that is just as good if not better than the other over inflated prices of other engines any day IMO, i can't afford the big buck engines being a budget racer, but if the Red Dot can keep me up with other racers then why is a cheaper "priced" engine a bad thing, and i mean a cheaper priced engine not a cheap inferior made engine, not sure how they can justify there prices (high priced engines)
Old 11-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

And thats why I said, just my opinion. If you are keeping up with the higher priced motors, it is because of your driving.If you are running on smaller parking lot tracks, a lower price motor is fine. I will tell you, there were no Ninjas or red dots in the main at the nationals last weekend. And very few Ninjas in the half finals, and I don't know of any red dots.
But my advice would still be, get what you can afford.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have to step in here... the Picco JLR motor is extremely powerful.... likely one of the most powerful .12's on the market, on the dyno the motor rips hard and puts out numbers that embarass alot of the more expensive "Race motors" ...check out the dynoes of the JLR and compare it to some of the other popular .12's that have been tested.... Actualy if i'm not mistaken the highest HP .12 ever tested on the X-Dyno is a modded JLR..the thing made over 1.2 HP and 38 oz/in TQ.... the power curve is extremely broad and the motor holds great power in the upper RPM's...... I know some people dont hold much faith in dyno results..... But regardless the JLR is pretty much the king of the dyno..if a motor is faster its definitely not because its making more power...

Here is a dyno of both a stock and modded JLR...go to nitrodyne and compare the results to some of the other .12's that have been tested.... this JLR is no slouch..

Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

here is a modded Sirio EVo III for comparison

Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

And here is a tweaked CRF...

Old 11-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

And here is the OS Speed TZ .12.......... IDK ut this OS sure dont make a power anything like the JLR... and in fact when you compare the powerbands pretty much nothing touches the JLR..... War Picco !

Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Do you have one comparing the red dot with any Nova Rossi. I would like to see it compared to the 353
I don't think either of the motors you show are really "race motors"
Old 11-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WARDO
Do you have one comparing the red dot with any Nova Rossi. I would like to see it compared to the 353
WARDO WASSUP what about the SIRIO
Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GMartinez
WARDO WASSUP what about the SIRIO
Are they still making motors?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WARDO
There is likely a dyno of the 353 somewhere... But unfortunately I have never seen it.... As it stands right now that modded JLR is the highest powered .12 to be tested on a X-dyno....... not only are its peak numbers big, but its power curve is huge... so its not a strung out peaky mill by any means.

From what we are finding onthe dyno, the Picco motors, especialy the modded ones are making the most power in their class of engine....The Novarossi's may be the finest motors on the planet, but they dont seem to make the raw power the Picco's are capable of... we have a Picco 28 making 90 oz/in TQ and 2.3 HP... a Picco 21 making 1.8 HP and 69 oz/in.. and a Picco .12 making 1.2 Hp and 38 oz/in......... Interestingly enough all these motors make huge amounts of tourque for their class, and their powerband tend to come in earlier then other engines..... this can fool a person into thinkin the motor is falling flat on top end...as the mill experiences such a strong rush of power early in the RPM range....... A Picco is on the downcurve when some other motors are still climbing up..which will give the other motor the illusion if having more top end.................. But when you see the motors dynoed you see the Picco still hold excelent top end on par with anything else.... the difference being the Picco has a massive midrange hit other engines dont seem to have......
Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If the Sirio isn't a race motor, what is?

BTW: Jeffrey Lin was in the semi at the nats. While my IDM engine is not exactly a Red Dot, it is a brother to the engine. I and Brian Bosley were both in the semis at the nats running the IDM. I have raced using the IDM three times now and horsepower is not a problem. It has the most bottem end power of any engine I have ever driven.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

I did not see his sheet on the sirio, only the crf and the red dot.And do you think the guy that started this thread,could get the same engine Jeffry Lin was running? Scott Rister, Bought an off the shelf, no mods,Nova Rossi, from Ashford hobbies, and got into the A. And I know two people that run Sirio, and their motors are NOTHING like the ones you can go buy from the hobby shop.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

By the looks of the Dyno sheets it not worth getting Modded motors these days.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
You what??? you hide behind your words, exactly,,,,,,,,,,,,just what I though!

i don't know you Kamikaze but what you have been posted here really is low.

not only does it NOT matter what someone elses past consists of. but it is vindictive to try and pull someone down and place them in the gutter when they experience a setback.

it takes a REAL man to let bygones be bygones. Only little men kick and hurt another man when they are down. You say you have big balls, but it takes a lack of heart, and a little man syndrome, to act the way you did. Who cares what you know, who cares who you spoke to, who cares PERIOD!

infact your name dropping of who you spoke to, etc etc, who supports you and who is against EdwardN is again evidence of your little man syndrome, trying to create a impression that you are supported by these "other" people when infact these other people would never knowingly participate in your gutter kicking as you are doing.

Toy cars mate. Toy cars. and i don't care how much money you make selling them. they are still toy cars, and no one outside of this hobby thinks highly of what you do. Your business gives nothing back to humanity, nor does it extend any important social cause...so for all intensive purposes you are just another person of the millions on this earth. SO SHOW RESPECT TO OTHERS!

good engines in my opinion:
OS TZ good decent package, and is very quick when modified lightly. really you can't go past it.
JL red dot from what i have heard. look into it

good engines but slightly more pricey
-Sirio (but the evo 3 had conrod and some bearing issues. It is common practice to replace the conrod on the sirio after 10 litres)
-Novarossi 12 SCT
-ninja, ok, but i would go sirio over ninja. just personal opinion
-max MF tuned (very pricey, but geez what a motor! i'd recommend going for the OS though)

pipes make or break an engine sometimes. i like the novarosssi 2630 with the short header for long tracks or the medium to long header for short tracks. this pipe works great with the sirio, ninja, novas, and OS.

Last edited by TomB; 11-19-2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Xr Turbo
By the looks of the Dyno sheets it not worth getting Modded motors these days.
well the AB modded engines have set X-Dyno records in every class he's tested, what more do you want ?....likely the most powerful modded motors your going to find anywhere period.....look how the modded JLR smashes the other mills....including the MM modded Sirio EVOIII

well if you want big power...here it is....

Last edited by Maximo; 11-19-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.