Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikaR
Yeah, but it's not quite that simple.

To convert 1/8 onroad to GT, you'll need to find a body that fits (dimensions not the same)
and I'm not convinced front onway and rear spool would work well with rubber tires, you'll need diffs for that.

Easier to buy a RG car (RG=rally game) and then modify a 2-speed onto it if necessary (=track is big) like I did

Most Italians run their RG cars on tracks built temporarily on parking lots as far as I know.
Belts work fine there since they are wide & strong enough, 2-speed is not needed (in fact rules does not allow one).
There shaft drives are not a common thing, instead belts are.
+1

There’s also the fact that these Rally Game cars would crush and totally destroy a typical 8th scale on-road chassis on impact into a pile of broken pieces.

The simple facts on these types of belt driven Rally Game chassis are the following:

They are far more advanced than conventional buggy based GT cars.

They’ve been racing in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Venezuela and several other countries for several years longer than we’ve been racing our GT cars in North America.

They race on the same types of rubber tires as we do at our North American GT races. Not foams.

They have been limited to only being allowed to race with single speed transmissions, according to their existing rule structure.

We are raising the bar and allowing them to be raced with 2-speed transmissions for greater speed potential and more fun.

They have not been permitted to participate in our GT World Championship events and deserve our respect & support too.

Nobody is saying they should be allowed to race with the current crop of buggy based chassis in heads-up competition.

Nobody is trying to damage or disenfranchise buggy based GT cars or our established GT Spec & GT Open class structure; we are only welcoming Rally Game belt driven race cars to our new GT Outlaw category.

We are only extending a warm invitation to our extended International GT family to have fun with us at our 2012 GT World Championships in beautiful and tropical Barceloneta Puerto Rico on March 21st to 25th.

How can anyone of us find fault with that?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

Thanks for the info
I am wanting to try 1/8 onroad again but these cars are just too fast and my reflexes are getting slower with age
Hence I might want to try RG or Outlaw GT to tame the car a little. This class might pick up over here in the states so would like to be ready when the classes start
The only problem I see is the RG chassis are very expensive that is why I wanted to get a 1/8 and convert it so I can use the 1/8 in some races and the RG in some
Thanks

Jspeed
I dont think Outlaw GT is not a good class, in fact I want to get into this class bec it may get bigger with the whole GT class getting more attention
RG would be good for those 1/8 racers wanting to slow down a bit and just have fun

Originally Posted by MikaR
Yeah, but it's not quite that simple.

To convert 1/8 onroad to GT, you'll need to find a body that fits (dimensions not the same)
and I'm not convinced front onway and rear spool would work well with rubber tires, you'll need diffs for that.

Easier to buy a RG car (RG=rally game) and then modify a 2-speed onto it if necessary (=track is big) like I did

Most Italians run their RG cars on tracks built temporarily on parking lots as far as I know.
Belts work fine there since they are wide & strong enough, 2-speed is not needed (in fact rules does not allow one).
There shaft drives are not a common thing, instead belts are.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

DRRC,

Will the GT Outlaw Belt-Drive class gain momentum in North America?

Will other North American racing series, other racing events and tracks owners allow them to participate in their own specific “GT Outlaw” class or will they continue to exclude them or just ruin the existing GT Spec or GT Open class rule structures by just making it a “free for all”…… with a no rules approach at their races?

It’s really hard to predict what others will do, as we've all experenced during the 2011 North American racing season.

What we do know is they are much more advanced and some of them are a more expensive proposition than some of the buggy based GT cars we’ve become accustomed to race in our established GT Spec & GT Open categories in North America.

However, these types of Rally Game belt-driven GT cars & their dedicated owners do deserve an opportunity to race and to be enjoyed during our 2012 GT World Championship event.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Smile "sidewinders"

On the first pages of this thread, GT's were the new kid on the block with mixed acceptance factor and pleadings not to morph into 'multiple classes'.
Now, we've had several race seasons and incredible developments of our technology....i'm really glad we got to lose the darn 'pullstart'. There is a distinct advantage to pulling that new toy out of the box, changing to 'race tires', tweaking the brakes, getting a serious (or sirio..pun) engine to 'dial-in' the little Kyosho GT. Several levels of performance can be generated out of one of our cars in one table session and wrench set.

I'm glad to see that questions have arisen as to what we'll have to compete against this coming season. My choice is to stick with the Kyosho GT, running 'spec' and 'open' as currently defined. (such as it is) Shaft-drive cars have been affordable and a defining characteristic of the class.

I visited the sites on the new "sidewinders" and you have to be impressed with the Italian technology.....wow. Keep watching the Euro, we may all be able to get one before the summer is over.

'Sidewinder-Beltdrives' to me sounds better than 'outlaw' but the first 'sidewinder i ever saw was on Thorp Raceway in Pomona, CA.

What's going to keep the 'outlaws' from making a 'King-of-the-track' challenge on an 1/8th scale....i've seen Spooky run 1/8th scale 'B main' times with an 'open' Kyosho GT in Las Vegas.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Here is the inscription form for the 2012 GT World Championships

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GTSincripcionmundiales.pdf (94.4 KB, 193 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Here we go fellas, GT World Championship racer registrations have started!

For more event information and specific GT class rules please visit:
www.gtworldchampionships.com
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default HotBodies D8 GT

Originally Posted by txaggie08
For those still doing conversions, Has anyone done a conversion on a hot bodies buggy? It's a ve8 and not a d8, but it's the same concept.
I have converted the HotBodies D8 and raced it with much success. Posted all parts need and used and building tips on this thread with pics. Will try to find them and repost.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default HotBodies D8 GT

Originally Posted by tundra1989
I have a hot bodies Lightning 2 pro converted to an igt car.
I looked at useing a d8 chassis but the problem I saw was with the narrow chassis. The clutch bell for the 2 speed did not have enough room with the fuel tank mounted.

Not true buddy, I used the Gt2 2speed and Ofna 2speed clutch and the D8t tank for more fuel capacity and fit perfectly. Tank is direct drop in, you do have to push back motor mount holes and rear center diff holes to fit 2speed about 3-4mm. but car worked and looked factory made. Some on this thread can back me up on this. Will repost parts and building tips even basic setup info.

Viva GT!!!!! Will be happy to help anyone with questions!!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello GT Family !!,

Any chance for anyone of you guys to attend the COPA DEL PACIFICO event in LIMA - PERU ?

Dates : March 1st to 4th.

Track :

Classes :

- 1/10th Nitro Sedan (IFMAR Rulebook)
- GT Class (shaft based, rubber tires, US$ 280 max pricing engine, GT Body)

- Hotels are cheap, country and city is safe, cheap for fun, track is beach side, come and enjoy !

Come one !!, attend !!

cya !
Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Peru looks like a good time. Sorry I can't do that.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

+1 Would love to make it one year.

Would be excellent to make the serious trip up to Machu Picchu too.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Come on guys !, lets do some GT racing in Lima - Peru ...

So far we already have confirmation of couple international drivers :

- Germany x 1
- Brazil x 4
- Chile x 2
- USA x 1

Hope any of you can make it ...

cya !
Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Addict

Smile 'Race Spec KYOSHO GT'

Great photo of Peru.....wish i could make that race.

Heads up Kyosho fans, the info for the 'Race Spec GT' have surfaced on Amain Hobbies site and shows March delivery date. Was wishing they would do short chassis but this is trick enough that i will seek out some 'large' tracks for this baby. Clete, i got my eye on you!!!

If anyone else sees a listing for these, please post. I got enough drool on Amain.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Great car for sell!!!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post10155749

Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Jerry,

Drop in on Barceloneta Puerto Rico on March 21st -25th, its a big track and a lotta fun!

See ya at the Worlds guys & girls!
www.gtworldchampionships.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.