Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jdesotojr
My stock dm1 - spec that I ran with at the GT worlds in the open class was just around 4000 grams. I would look into the Max Velocity carbon fiber parts. There were cars as light as 3000 to 3200 grams running in the open class.
I have the Max Velocity parts in my GT1, they're very nice but make no difference in weight at least in Kyosho's case, maybe in DM-1 that seems 400gr heavier.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR
Dragon racing is poor quality
Originally Posted by Raman
its an improvement over the stock GT blue plate special.... and for the price, it can't be beat.
Originally Posted by Gonzo RR
Well we'll see! I mean the stock chassis is not all that either
Originally Posted by spooky 1
Gonzo, the dragon chassis is a decent upgrade from stock. The one Mika mentioned can be modded to work with very little done. The weight on these cars can vary, but my open car is in at just over 3200 grams and our spec minimum here is 3450. The lightweight universals helps and the titanium hinge pin set from lunsford works well.
Plywood would be better than that blue mystery Metal Kyosho makes

+1 Spooky the dragon chassis is a decent upgrade for the IGT & IGT2.

IMO Price between the dragon and Kyosho makes it a no brainer too.

I use a ST-R chassis as of now but have used 2 different dragon chassis for 3 seasons with out any problems with fit or strength so you should be fine.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by *1speedy

I use a ST-R chassis as of now but have used 2 different dragon chassis for 3 seasons with out any problems with fit or strength so you should be fine.
Plywood!

I like the Dragon chassis!

Desoto you keep bringing up the fact that the Ofna is heavier than the Kyosho. From what I understand you bought the car a few days before the race, right? You weren't sponsored by Ofna prior to the race were you? If you were so concerned about weight, why didn't you race the Kyosho?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rpespo
Plywood!

I like the Dragon chassis!

Desoto you keep bringing up the fact that the Ofna is heavier than the Kyosho. From what I understand you bought the car a few days before the race, right? You weren't sponsored by Ofna prior to the race were you? If you were so concerned about weight, why didn't you race the Kyosho?
Thats a loaded question.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GREAT! THANKS! i'm looking forward to try the dragon chassis
Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Gonzo, you'll be fine, just try to listen to Bernie & Mike, they know what time it is, OK
Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

I really love how this class have grown but there are alot of ways to make this class grow so here's my two cents. How about trying to push a class for foam tires at some events because alot of guys have two cars or more like myself and would love to see some of the more establish guys run these cars as well so don't start bashing my idea because our objective is to put water on our Gt class and watch it grow to a ultimate class
Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The reason why we haven't pushed foam tires is because they can be costly. A good set of Ipanema rubber tires can cost you about $65 and last you several racedays of hard racing. A set of foam tires maybe good for one raceday (if you don't chunk it). Plus, your ride height doesn't change with rubber tires whereas with foams, it changes as they were, thus changing the handling of your car. The first set of Ipanema rubber tires lasted an entire race season for me (7 races= 21 qualifiers and seven 15 to 30 min mains {depending on what the program called}) before they started to fade any. Can a set of foam tires do that?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by JLock
The reason why we haven't pushed foam tires is because they can be costly. A good set of Ipanema rubber tires can cost you about $65 and last you several racedays of hard racing. A set of foam tires maybe good for one raceday (if you don't chunk it). Plus, your ride height doesn't change with rubber tires whereas with foams, it changes as they were, thus changing the handling of your car. The first set of Ipanema rubber tires lasted an entire race season for me (7 races= 21 qualifiers and seven 15 to 30 min mains {depending on what the program called}) before they started to fade any. Can a set of foam tires do that?

I agree! With these cars rubber is the way to go.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbo713
I really love how this class have grown but there are alot of ways to make this class grow so here's my two cents. How about trying to push a class for foam tires at some events because alot of guys have two cars or more like myself and would love to see some of the more establish guys run these cars as well so don't start bashing my idea because our objective is to put water on our Gt class and watch it grow to a ultimate class
+1 I AM WITH YOU

Originally Posted by JLock
JLock have you ever run the BSR foams that Lee at Winners circle sells?
Or just the crappy Ofna foams that wear out real fast as your description says.

I have 5 races = 15 qualifiers and 5 20-30 min mains on them.
So to answer your question they last a lot longer than 1 race day EASILY.

Also a good set of BSR Foams is $64.00 bucks. Don’t knock it till you try it.

If you go by ofna foam I agree they do not last but if you search around there are GQ, BSR, & others that work GREAT.

99% of us at Blue Diamond run foams so please don't tell me that it's just me.

Foam tires for this application have improved greatly ask Lee at winners circle.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

+1 I AM WITH YOU

JLock have you ever run the BSR foams that Lee at Winners circle sells?
Or just the crappy Ofna foams that wear out real fast as your description says.

I have 5 races = 15 qualifiers and 5 20-30 min mains on them.
So to answer your question they last a lot longer than 1 race day EASILY.

Also a good set of BSR Foams is $64.00 bucks. Don’t knock it till you try it.

If you go by ofna foam I agree they do not last but if you search around there are GQ, BSR, & others that work GREAT.

99% of us at Blue Diamond run foams so please don't tell me that it's just me.

Foam tires for this application have improved greatly ask Lee at winners circle.
Well, I am glad that they work for you. But you still did not match the longevity of the rubber tires yet that I have run (and still use). I spend enough on foam tires for my 200mm and 8th scale Lola car and I enjoy not having to spend a ton of money on foams for my IGT. This is another reason why I like running GT cars. With the right care and rotation of tires, I can spend less than $200 for three full sets and go at least one race season easily. With my 8th scale, I remember a recent race where I spent over $300 just for the three-day race weekend alone, and I am not counting on what I spent on my 200mm that I also raced that weekend.

I can see regions having foam tire racing classes but I like the rubber tire better. To me, less expense, no chunking, and can run them almost anywhere (from dusty concrete to prepped asphalt and anything in between). I am not knocking you, just stating my preference.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey guys I just started a little business and was wondering is their anything you guys might want to to see in carbon fiber for your GT cars Kyosho or Ofna Dm1. LMK

www.snrgraphite.com
Old 05-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by williamw
I agree! With these cars rubber is the way to go.
+1
Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

I'm with JLock I prefer to race with rubber instead of foam. I have a tire truer but those that do not have one can really spend tons of money if the track is not properly set up.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Rubber is the best way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.