Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I use starter box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default How do I use starter box?

I just bought a new starter box and I was wondering if I put the car on top of the pegs or what to start it? I am very new to this hobby and any help would be great.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

AtomiK;

Place your Car/Truck on Top of the Starter Box and align the Engine Flywheel and the Rubber tire on the Box. Move the pegs around until you can just set the Car down and it is perfectly aligned. Do a couple of test starts, to make sure everything is lined up correctly. That's it!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, once I got the rubber wheel to touch the flywheel, but it didn't turn the flywheel at all. I have the Ofna 1/10 scale starter box, it is RTR and it is the black one.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Battery(s) charged, plugged in?

Switch turned on?

Put the car on the box and PUSH DOWN.

(You may have to adjust the contact switch.)

(Make sure the box is turning in the correct direction)
Old 04-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

remember - it's not called a 'bump' start for nothing - when i first had my ofna 'true start' ( yeah - sure) box i smoked BOTH motors within about 10 starts - the motors (2 -550's) don't make that much that torque and i burned both motors just trying to break in my sts12 - a new motor has tremendous compression! i held it down too long one time instead of bumping it and YIKES - smoking starter box! just BUMP that new motor....

btw - i bought a big-ass single motor starter box from happy hobbies and it has 3 times the torque of those crappy ofna starter motors - turning over a new motor with this box was no prob! ofna box works great on motors that are completly broken in....
Old 04-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yup popsracer I got the rubber wheel spinning and everything, just it couldn't turn the flywheel.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:09 AM
Tech Regular

have you got it going in the right direction ? ? the motor will still turn but i dont think it will ever start.... just thought i would make this suggestion cause u could run into this problem later on....
Old 04-11-2003, 05:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just got a starter box a few weeks ago...I just about toasted the starter box motor 'cause I didn't have the flywheel lined up just right. The rubber wheel was actually rubbing on my chassis. Like Popsracer said...make sure the flywheel and the rubber wheel are lined up perfectly. If not, you'll have smoke. Smoke is NOT good! Trust me,...you can't put smoke back in a motor!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

AtomiK;

'cybertoolzz' touched on a good point. Make sure the Engine's Flywheel is free to turn. If the Piston and Sleeve are stuck, the flywheel won't turn and the box is no way going to "Bump" it over.

Never burned up a Box Motor. I did Blow the Rubber Tire off one though with a Mild-Maxx 19T in it (too many rpm's).

Last edited by popsracer; 04-11-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by popsracer

Never burned up a Box Motor. I did Blow the Rubber Tire off one though with a 19T in it (too many rpm's)
Hehe 19T....*slap*