Community
Wiki Posts
Search

teflon brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default teflon brake pads

I was just thinking of the teflon brake pads that I put in my mtx4 a few weeks ago and was wondering if anybody ever tried making their own pads. Something like a low grade sand paper or similiar and just cut out the shape and slap it on the brake disc might work. I bought 2 sets of teflon pads @ $11 a set. I don't know but I sure we can cut out our own material. Has anybody tried something similiar? The teflon pads work great but $11 for that little thing?????

-- Wario
Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Those $11 pads have lasted in my car for over a year and half, knowing I never have to worry about it when I head tward the corner at full throttle, jab on the brakes and the car slows down consistantly. I would say that that is a good value. but if you are wanting to try something, I would say that the teflon sheet of assocateds chassis protection would be something to try.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Those $11 pads have lasted in my car for over a year and half, knowing I never have to worry about it when I head tward the corner at full throttle, jab on the brakes and the car slows down consistantly. I would say that that is a good value. but if you are wanting to try something, I would say that the teflon sheet of assocateds chassis protection would be something to try.
True. I'm not trying to be cheap here but why not just do just cut out your own? Can you imagine mugen's mark up on that thing. It does its job well but it's still a flimsy piece of teflon that I would say is worth $2 at best. When I ordered it, I thought it would be a solid piece of teflon brake shoe or a coated one. I'm sure some people here did their own pad.

-- Wario
Old 04-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

prob could be done.

just wondering, is the teflon pad worth upgrading to?
Old 04-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

anyting that provides better more consistant brakes for racing would be beneficial.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What about the blue brake pads , does anyone have any info on how those perform?
Old 04-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Forgive me for saying this, but those suck! Very inconsistant, and if you get a drop of fuel on them, I hope you like driving without brakes. I ran them for 1 qualifier and about half way through, I lost all brakes and went from 0 to 80 on the radio and still nothing. I thought that the linkage fell off.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm going to have to disagree with you rcfoolz. I drove with the blue pads during the entire Winternats in all the qualifiers and the A-Main and the car was braking consistently all week long. I have also used the same pads in two state races and the RC Pro Series race since then and they have worked fine.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

I'm using yellow teflon pads......... still braking and braking and braking....... three years old now.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The blue ones will absorb fuel if it gets spilled onto them and that is when you will loose your brakes.