R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default MRX-3 Braking help?

Do you have your brake adjusted so that you can get the perfect amount of braking when applying full brakes? Whenever I apply full brakes I get lockup. I am not sure if this is normal. If there is a way, how do you adjust the brake to make it more or less sensitive? Yes I am an amateur...no making fun.
JInaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Default MRX-3

Do you run your car on the track or the street?
onthegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JInaba
Do you have your brake adjusted so that you can get the perfect amount of braking when applying full brakes? Whenever I apply full brakes I get lockup. I am not sure if this is normal. If there is a way, how do you adjust the brake to make it more or less sensitive? Yes I am an amateur...no making fun.
When I set the throttle/brake linkage I do the following:
1. Set the linkage mechanically so the throttle is closed and brakes are free when servo is neutral.

2. Apply brake with the radio...try to turn the wheels.
A) If wheels are completly locked, adjust EPA on radio until less brake is applied.
B) If wheels are not locked, return servo to neutral and adjust linkage mechanically to take up the "slack"
C) Repeat No. 2

It is a little trial and error...and the breaks will sometimes grab hard initially until they wear in some.

Doug
Old 03-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Tech Addict

I've found that most of the time initially it will grab hard and lockup. You will need to get some heat into the car and brake pads to get them to fade a little. I found that if I dial out the brakes that when it starts to fade, I lose too much. So I just take a few laps pretty easy and get some heat into it.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthegas
Do you run your car on the track or the street?
I have been running it in the street.
I think I see that you are getting at. The dust and dirt in the street allow the wheels to easily slide when they lock?
JInaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Default Brakes

JInaba, you are exactly correct. No traction, you spin out. Im sure your brakes are working fine. If you were on a clean surface, you wouldnt have any issues.
onthegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #7

If you can I'd definitely go to a local track if there's one near you because like night and day diffrence on a clean treated track.
Fred P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
Tech Champion

First of all you need to set up your EPA ( End Point Adjustment ) on your transmitter to set maximum limit of full throttle ( lets say 78 % ) and maximum limit on brake ( lets say 35 % ). You should test it until the servo doesn't make buzzing sound in either full throttle and full brake position.

You need to keep adjusting the collar / spring stopper to fine tune the throttle springs. Look at the carburator opening. Take out carburator air restrictor to see the position of carburator slider clearly at full braking and idle ----> both must be the same position, and finally full throttle position ----> open wide.

For braking, you need to continue adjusting the collar / stopper until the brake disc is moveable ( you push the car on the floor ) but you feel it is stoping / slowing down.

Re-adjust the collar / stopper at the track if braking power is too hot or too soft.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote