Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I have a question about gearing. I run the stock gearing 17-59 1st and 23-53 2nd which is a 6 tooth difference. I plan to use a 16-59 1st and a 21-54 for 2nd. Will the gears still line up with a 5 tooth difference?? By the way I love the car!!! It is very tough and drives GREAT. Seems ROCK solid. Troy
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by insanewulf
I have a question about gearing. I run the stock gearing 17-59 1st and 23-53 2nd which is a 6 tooth difference. I plan to use a 16-59 1st and a 21-54 for 2nd. Will the gears still line up with a 5 tooth difference?? By the way I love the car!!! It is very tough and drives GREAT. Seems ROCK solid. Troy
Be careful when using smaller pinions / spurs...... the clutchbell will touch the 2nd gear housing. You must check that even in stock gearing form.

Stock gearing is already low....... maybe you set up the centax clutch not right ?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I run on a small parking lot. I don't know the length of the straight. Anyone else run this gearing. The ratio is 7.95:1 and 5.5:1 stock is 7.48:1 and 4.97:1. Troy
Old 08-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool COOL CAR

Originally Posted by asw7576
Here u go......... remember : thick Y wires
HI ITS DREW IM AUSTALIAN AND LIKE RC RACING I HAD A SUPER HORNET BUT IT SNAPED IN HALF GOD DARN IT
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-4R-af.jpg  
Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Hy today i ran in my engine.. It took me forever to tune the clutch properly. And theres a problem i cant set my gap like the crankshaft isnt long enough or something. I have a problem with accelariton topspeed is ok. First 1-2 meters it isnt going anywhere then it rotates like it shoud. I have already shortened the gearin(16 pinion) but still the problem exists. I also changed the sping at the clutch from ultra hard to standard, ive changed the whole clutch. I made spring setings from 0.6~1.7mm it was no change. Anyone else had the same expirience..

Oh btw im driving Mtx-4r and a C5 ninja plug..

Please answer,thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

jet: same problem: set spring at 8.9, put 1.0mm total of spacers under clutch bell and I cannot get .3mm of play...somewhere around .17...I tightened the clutch spring to 9.6 with no help...

only thing works for me is take .2mm out of clutch bell spacers
Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

No that didnt solve my prob. I found out that the trust bearings are different..

I measured it and it was 4.35 i put in a new one and it was 3.95... And so i couldn set my clutch gap. I also found out that i mixed two bearings . One of it has bigger balls and bigger "runaway" another smaller balls..

And when i put both of them together(smaller balls to smaller bushing, bigger to bigger) both were 3.95 and now i think it will work perfectly.

Regards,
Nejc
Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jetforce
Hy today i ran in my engine.. It took me forever to tune the clutch properly. And theres a problem i cant set my gap like the crankshaft isnt long enough or something. I have a problem with accelariton topspeed is ok. First 1-2 meters it isnt going anywhere then it rotates like it shoud. I have already shortened the gearin(16 pinion) but still the problem exists. I also changed the sping at the clutch from ultra hard to standard, ive changed the whole clutch. I made spring setings from 0.6~1.7mm it was no change. Anyone else had the same expirience..

Oh btw im driving Mtx-4r and a C5 ninja plug..

Please answer,thanks
Is a very strange issue... sounds like your flywheel isn't correctly seated on the cone or the flywheel cone isn't seat at their place. Disassemble and double check that flywheel cone is on their place and touches the inner race of the front bearing. If you leave a gap there, you could snap the crankshaft and meanwhile run in some problems like the one you're describing.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asw7576
Be careful when using smaller pinions / spurs...... the clutchbell will touch the 2nd gear housing. You must check that even in stock gearing form.

Stock gearing is already low....... maybe you set up the centax clutch not right ?
I don't think the touching issue has anything to do with the gearing, as all the gears are the same size, so the motor always stays at the same place (ditto for the clutchbell & 2nd gear housing).
Before anyone complains, of course not ALL gears are the same, but for example 2nd gear pinions from 21-24 (or whatever they are) are all the same diameter. The teeth are machined a bit off standard for this to be possible, but this is done on all race cars that I know, to make life easier, so you can use all the pinion/spur combinations.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

@corse

Read my post above yours...

Regards,
Nejc
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

corse: phew! thanks, you solved my issues, I took everything off got my auto tools and cranked the nut holding the flywheel and the flywheel went down alittle and I can set everything perfectly. This thing has been bugging me for weeks
Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default Rear Diff

What difference does changing the diff oil viscosity make? For instance, if I go up to 30K in the rear, how will it effect the cars performance, compared to the 10K included in the kit?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by va_connoisseur
What difference does changing the diff oil viscosity make? For instance, if I go up to 30K in the rear, how will it effect the cars performance, compared to the 10K included in the kit?
You will have more on throttle steering when the track offers enough grip..

Cheers
Old 08-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Tye
Tech Rookie

Exclamation I am stripping spur gears...any advice?

I am stripping both spur gears, Not at the same time but they are both stripping. I feel that I am pretty good with setting gear mesh...maybe not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tye
I am stripping both spur gears, Not at the same time but they are both stripping. I feel that I am pretty good with setting gear mesh...maybe not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
use search threads in mtx4 forum ( not this mtxr-r ) and show the results by posting.

Or go to nitrokb.com.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.