MRX4-R or 960-07 honest opinions please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRX4-R or 960-07 honest opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

I drove serpent for many years, and have now switched to the MRX-4R. My main reason for switching was because I had become very frustrated with Serpent announcing a new car seemingly twice a year. It seems that there's always some upgrade, the 950, the 950R, the 960, the 960 07! My first serpent was a serpent Excel. It seems like there's been a hundred models since then. I was very impressed that Mugen models don't change very often. They make a good base car, and it wins for a long time.

That's why I switched. Now, what I've noticed since switching:
1. The parts. Serpent has a separate part number for each side of the car (e.g. right, left upper control arm). Mugen, you get both, and also the spacers. In the long run, the parts are cheaper.

2. Setup. The serpent (IMO) is a car of beauty, but there are just too many settings, and it is very difficult to find the perfect combination of all of the settings. I've got springs for every color of the rainbow from my serpent days. I have only needed white spring (all around) for my Mugen. The Mugen is definitely easy to setup.

3. Durability. I'm not an A-main driver which means I bang the occasional board (it also means competition is steep where i race!). The only part I've broken on my MRX so far is my steering servo horn. I was notorious for breaking control arms on my Serpents.

4. Instruction Manual. In this area, Serpent gets the nod by far. They have a better manual than Mugen.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i agree with BIGTACO also. Forget this innovation and newer design crap. It won't help you if you can't learn to drive what you have to begin with. If you don't have the vehicle, it won't help you to get something that your shop doesn't have parts for.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BP Vortex
Why not a Motonica ???
I drove a Mugen till last year . I say that the Mugen is easyer to drive and to set it up . The serpent is a very good car too but need to be understanded better .

Now we have changed to motonica . The first one wasn´t so good and this is true . Not bad . But not so good like a mugen .
Now we have tested the R type of motonica and I say that this is the car of the future .If you thing that a mugen is easy to drive than you will remain impressed how quite to drive is the motonica . Fast direction chandes but always easy to drive .

But if I have to choose between Serpent or Mugen , I will drive a Mugen . For me the best car after Motonica !!!!
1) almost nobody drives it yet
2) I can't find parts for it
3) I can't find the kit anywhere (haven't looked online that much)
Old 04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dredd
1) almost nobody drives it yet
2) I can't find parts for it
3) I can't find the kit anywhere (haven't looked online that much)
In case you consider the Motonica, you'll find everything you need for it here.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by areal
Yeah, but I have a thing against buying from overseas. I still think you should look at what the LHS around you carry because you never know when you'll need a part quickly.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dredd
Yeah, but I have a thing against buying from overseas. I still think you should look at what the LHS around you carry because you never know when you'll need a part quickly.
In a situation as myself, I have NO choice but to order EVERYTHING I run. I don't know of one, not one Hobby Store in the entire state of Colorado that carries cars or parts of any 10th or 8th scale. Unless you want the NTC3 or the Traxxas nitro RTR thingy. Other then that, NO Kyosho, Mugen, Serpent, Slide, Team Magic G4S, Motonica (not in US yet) etc. I can't even get a set of foam tires unless I want to spend 25.99 for a pair of front 26mm foams and even then the selection is 3 boxes on the shelf. About the ONLY thing I can get localy is paint and a body if I'm SUPER lucky.

My point is, some of us HAVE to order every single part of any car that we choose. All the way down to engines, clutches, tires, gears, air filters and even batteries. I have had to order ALL of my onroad racing equipment for over 10 years of racing. I had NO choice at all. So whether I order here in the states or over seas, It's all the same other then the amount of time it takes to get to your door. I would love to support any LHS, but I can't if they don't carry ANYTHING at all. I have had to learn to buy lots of extras because of this situation. So yes you will have a few exspensive orders to try and cover any breakable parts. And it trully sucks when there is a right this and a left that. But this is how some of us have to do it if we want to race at all.

So with my entire onroad racing career being 100% internet or some other form of ordering, I don't see an issue with it at all. If I order parts anywhere in the states, MOST hobby shops will have it at your door in 2-3 days. You do need to plan ahead early in the week if you need parts for your up and comming race for the weekend. Just need to have an inventory of everything you have so you can find out what you need. Plus you want to have a pretty good inventory of parts anyway, because at the track...if others don't have the part, there usually isn't a hobby store near by regardless. So I wouldn't let ordering trully be your desiding factor, definitely get the car you want...if you can decide that is.

I'm not telling you this to dicredit what others are telling you, but I did want you to understand that "ordering" isn't as big an issue as some make it out to be. Good luck, and what ever decision you make I'm sure will be the right one. Sometimes you need to go with your gut feeling as all cars out there are very fast and very drivable. Again, good luck bro!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Serpentd I agree with you about ordering part for our cars. I live in an area where there are some hobby shops, but they do not stock the latest parts of highly competitive cars like the Mugen or Serpent. As for Motonica, It has not hit the shores of the US. The car looks good though.
Now BIG Tedx, You drive well!! I have seen you run your Mugen! You are right about the competition in your area. You have MAJOR MAJOR competition that lives within 100 miles of your area!! You make B mains with your car, hell I'm trying to make it on the list! In 1/10 I'll make it.. Not gonna be easy.
Going back to the subject. I like my 960. The 07 version of the 960 is damn near the same as what I am running already. I upgraded the gas tank lid, breaks and installed CVD's last year. Most Serpent drivers upgrade their rides continuously. It's sort of like computers in a way.
Mugen upgrades their cars also. The way I see it is that if you practice with your car and learn the inns and outs of it, it really doesn't matter.

Last edited by GHETTOTEACHER; 04-02-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by areal
Hey areal, dude thanks for the heads up on the Motonica and all. I have appreciated the information you have been posting and keeping us informed of this car and everything. Thanks much!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Serpentd
Hey areal, dude thanks for the heads up on the Motonica and all. I have appreciated the information you have been posting and keeping us informed of this car and everything. Thanks much!!!
No problem!
If you have any doubt or question I'll be happy to help!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good advice one and all. Some say the Mugen is loose some say the 960 is loose , surely this comes down to setup.

Love the look of the Motonica and it is obviously seriously fast but 827 Euro (US$1100 or Aus$1360) is out of control when you can pickup a 4R for half the price brand new from just about anywhere on the net.

I checked out the Evolva the other day , seems to me to be built a bit light ie. Mugen and Serpent seem to be a bit bulkier around the front and rear ends.

Keep the comments coming , it's very informative .
Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by azcau
Love the look of the Motonica and it is obviously seriously fast
But a pain to find a good set-up for....
1 of my fellow teamdrivers runs one and did a lot of modification to get the handling he wanted......
With the new version, these problems might be solved ofcourse.....
I checked out the Evolva the other day , seems to me to be built a bit light ie. Mugen and Serpent seem to be a bit bulkier around the front and rear ends.
But even then the Kyosho is probably the strongest of the 3 cars....
Old 04-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mugen. Parts are cheaper. But ultimately it comes down to what is available in your area.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Man, just get a Mugen! That sloves those other problems.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pooh2
Man, just get a Mugen! That sloves those other problems.
do you take your mugen to bed every night or what!....
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M7H
do you take your mugen to bed every night or what!....
Yep!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.