Search

installing 2 speed gear box

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default installing 2 speed gear box

Hi,
I've just installed a new 2 speed gearbox into my car. I haven't finished re-building the car as I may have a problem. When I turn the rear wheels together, they are very tight and difficult to turn. When I put the car down and try to push it along, there is quite a bit of resistance. This isn't normal is it ? What could be wrong ?
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
32819toon
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

what car is this? and u meant the rear gear diff right?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 AM
Tech Addict

Hi,
Yes I mean the rear diff, sorry if I confused. The car is a kyosho Alpha GP 3.
Regards,
32819toon
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

Hi again,
Another observation I've made. When I turn the wheels at the rear, should the spur gears also rotate, and as the engine is in place, also turn the gears on the clutch bell ? They are not moving. WHen I move the spur gears, the wheels sort of rotate, but not much. I've stripped everything down again and I can't see that anything is wrong with the assembly. Can anyone shed any light on to this ?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone ????
Old 01-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is the brake locking?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

Hi caggers, thanks for the reply. I suspect it could be the brakes, but how can I confirm this. As you've probably guessed, I'm quite new to this. I also suspect the one way bearing which was pre-installed in the kit may be in the wrong way round as the wheels rotate in the reverse direction. What do you think ? I'm worried that as soon as I start the engine I'm going to strip the gears.
Regards,
32819toon
Old 01-23-2007, 04:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 32819toon
Hi caggers, thanks for the reply. I suspect it could be the brakes, but how can I confirm this. As you've probably guessed, I'm quite new to this. I also suspect the one way bearing which was pre-installed in the kit may be in the wrong way round as the wheels rotate in the reverse direction. What do you think ? I'm worried that as soon as I start the engine I'm going to strip the gears.
Regards,
32819toon
You shld be able to remove the spur gears and possible remove the clutch bell and check the 1 way bearings.

Facing the spur gears (rear on ur left and front wheel on ur right) turning the spur gears anit-clockwise (wif engine mounted) should be smooth and when you spin it clockwise, they shld engage. Correct me someone if my interpretation is wrong. Is your engine new? as some new engine are hard to spin in beginning however when it fire off it shld be easy to turn again.

Check your 2 speed changer ensure they got smooth edge or flushed on the surface before the smaller spur gear are inserted.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 AM
Tech Addict

Hi,
Thanks Black Widow.
I stripped it down again last night. It's rotating now, but does stop. I suspect it could be something to do with the brakes. I can't tell though as they are within the diff casing. How will I know ?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 32819toon
Hi,
Thanks Black Widow.
I stripped it down again last night. It's rotating now, but does stop. I suspect it could be something to do with the brakes. I can't tell though as they are within the diff casing. How will I know ?

Check your linkage. when u throttle, does the car move smoother? or when u release the throttle you feel the restrain?

if so, u might require a self-made spring to recoil or release the rod to free the brade pad just incase it really caught jammed or readjust the linkage rod setting again.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Black_Widow
Check your linkage. when u throttle, does the car move smoother? or when u release the throttle you feel the restrain?

if so, u might require a self-made spring to recoil or release the rod to free the brade pad just incase it really caught jammed or readjust the linkage rod setting again.
Thanks for the reply Black Widow. I haven't even built the car up again yet. I have put a new engine in aswell so I think I'll do the run in on the engine before I do that. The wheels are rotating now which is the main thing, it's just that it jerks a bit. The spur gear turns fine and it also turns freely when I turn the clutch bell. The jerking only occurs when I turn the rear wheels together.
Thanks,
32819toon