Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
I can't tell because I did the Audi A5 with regular tamiya paint and the R5N with the new paint but I think the Audi is lighter from the start because it's thinner.
After painting they came out equal though, both weighing 103 grams so the paint is lighter but don't know how much.

Here is the R5 I just finished up, the light paint is really thin, so I had a couple of bleed throughs.

Now only the weather has to cooperate, because I'm completely ready to drive. Rain predicted for tomorrow and sunday.
I see... And also it might be affected that the R5 doesnt have the whole front windows cut out.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default please!!! visit our site!

mbrasilracing.blogspot.com
a lot of photos and videos about rc in Brazil
tks.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well managed to drive the car today.
Arrived at the track pretty late because I had to watch F1 qualifying.
Track was very dirty and traction was next to nothing.

But the acceleration of the car is incredible.
The launch out of the corners is just crazy, and considering I had quite a bit of wheelspin and the car was sliding a bit it will actually improve when the traction comes up.

Also the time the car needs to 'set' it self into the corner has been greatly reduced. Reactions to steering input are almost instant, in the first couple of laps I was way too early with my braking and turning into the corner.
This is a thing which really amazes me, because I actually went to a slower steering servo.

The top end has also improved, and this when I wasn't able to go full throttle through the fast sweeper which is before the start of the straight.
The engine actually out reved itself at the end of the straight, even on new tires. So next time I will go to a smaller spur too see if top speed will be even higher.
Today topspeed was 106 KM/H constantly.
Maybe hit 110 when the traction comes up, these are speeds the fastest 1/8 guys are hitting.

So all in all it was a great first test/shakedown for the car. No crashes, no issues what so ever.
Didn't had time to test the new body's or the Capricorn tires, but this only makes sense when it will be a bit warmer and traction is improved.

Only thing I might have to change is the weight distribution, it is too much towards the rear I think.
Under hard acceleration it's hard to change the direction of the car, it just want's to go into a straight line.
I will check this when traction is up, if it still occurs I will have to move some weight around. It actually makes sense because a lot of the weight was taken away at the front and put back in the rear.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Well managed to drive the car today.
Arrived at the track pretty late because I had to watch F1 qualifying.
Track was very dirty and traction was next to nothing.

But the acceleration of the car is incredible.
The launch out of the corners is just crazy, and considering I had quite a bit of wheelspin and the car was sliding a bit it will actually improve when the traction comes up.

Also the time the car needs to 'set' it self into the corner has been greatly reduced. Reactions to steering input are almost instant, in the first couple of laps I was way too early with my braking and turning into the corner.
This is a thing which really amazes me, because I actually went to a slower steering servo.

The top end has also improved, and this when I wasn't able to go full throttle through the fast sweeper which is before the start of the straight.
The engine actually out reved itself at the end of the straight, even on new tires. So next time I will go to a smaller spur too see if top speed will be even higher.
Today topspeed was 106 KM/H constantly.
Maybe hit 110 when the traction comes up, these are speeds the fastest 1/8 guys are hitting.

So all in all it was a great first test/shakedown for the car. No crashes, no issues what so ever.
Didn't had time to test the new body's or the Capricorn tires, but this only makes sense when it will be a bit warmer and traction is improved.

Only thing I might have to change is the weight distribution, it is too much towards the rear I think.
Under hard acceleration it's hard to change the direction of the car, it just want's to go into a straight line.
I will check this when traction is up, if it still occurs I will have to move some weight around. It actually makes sense because a lot of the weight was taken away at the front and put back in the rear.
Sorry, what did you test? The capricorn gears?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Glad to hear the shakedown went ok...better than Chandhok's...LOL

I don't remember what set of bumper foam end support you ended up using, but if standard, there's an opportunity for improvement there.
Hard optional foam and large plastic bumper will add some good 30 grams to the lower front balance.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cobra zz

I don't remember what set of bumper foam end support you ended up using, but if standard, there's an opportunity for improvement there.
Hard optional foam and large plastic bumper will add some good 30 grams to the lower front balance.
He will just probably cut out his current foam and place his high-density weights there.

Glad everything went good, DS.

Well, right now according to your scales, your 45%-55% Front-Back. You should maybe make it like 48-52.

I am currently waiting for Capricorn composite and aluminum pins. Probably will purchase this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290411685406

12mm thick so I can lower the tank 4mm. Also buying a low-profile servo tomorrow in the next few days.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
Sorry, what did you test? The capricorn gears?
Yes it's one of the things, if you go a couple pages back I've posted all the mods and parts I fitted to my car. It was 200+ under legal weight.
Made it legal again by putting some Tungsten in the car.

Originally Posted by Cobra zz

Haha Chandhok, the guy actually did all right, only the team is a laugh.
They needed two days to fix some hydraulics.
I use the standard bumper, when I move some weight to the front I will put it under the front diff.

Originally Posted by Riketsu
He will just probably cut out his current foam and place his high-density weights there.

Glad everything went good, DS.

Well, right now according to your scales, your 45%-55% Front-Back. You should maybe make it like 48-52.

I am currently waiting for Capricorn composite and aluminum pins. Probably will purchase this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290411685406

12mm thick so I can lower the tank 4mm. Also buying a low-profile servo tomorrow in the next few days.
Yep, that's the weight distribution.
I actually thought the 45-55 would be right on the spot because of the wider rear tires, bit like you said I will probably try something in the 48-52 range.

Battery is a good one, it's pretty hard to find such a thin one. Thought the Life type of battery's were much thicker.
I only have one day of experience with the Team orion low-profile one but just from today I think it's pretty good. It's the fastest low-profile you can buy which works in a 1:10 GP car.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I can't tell because I did the Audi A5 with regular tamiya paint and the R5N with the new paint but I think the Audi is lighter from the start because it's thinner.
After painting they came out equal though, both weighing 103 grams so the paint is lighter but don't know how much.

Here is the R5 I just finished up, the light paint is really thin, so I had a couple of bleed throughs.

Now only the weather has to cooperate, because I'm completely ready to drive. Rain predicted for tomorrow and sunday.
R5-N or A5 which one best ?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
R5-N or A5 which one best ?
Don't know yet, haven't tested them yet.
But I really like the A5's looks, with my limited knowledge of aerodynamics I think the A5 will be better, the front of the A5 is really good aerodynamically speaking.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Most 8 scale cars are running short gearing to be fast in the infield. 10 scale cars run the tallest gears they can find. With equal drivers an 8 scale is 1 1/2 to 2 secs faster per lap than a 10 scale. With out the INS box and tall gears an 8 scale can reach 75-80 mph easy down the back straight.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Don't know yet, haven't tested them yet.
But I really like the A5's looks, with my limited knowledge of aerodynamics I think the A5 will be better, the front of the A5 is really good aerodynamically speaking.
I'm used A5 is best , but not have test R5-N is good or bad ?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HoboShop
Most 8 scale cars are running short gearing to be fast in the infield. 10 scale cars run the tallest gears they can find. With equal drivers an 8 scale is 1 1/2 to 2 secs faster per lap than a 10 scale. With out the INS box and tall gears an 8 scale can reach 75-80 mph easy down the back straight.

That's rubbish, if a 1/8 were shorter geared it should rev out on the straight, but it doesn't. Everybody sets up the gearbox so on the longest straight the engine is just about to run out of revs. First gear depends on how slow the corners are, and what kind of straight follows it, and if you can get good shifting points which doesn't upset the car while you about to make a turn or something.

The downforce/drag limits the top end of an 1/8 scale.
About half way down the straight they stop accelerating, while a 1/10 is still accelerating pretty hard because it has much less drag.
For an 1/8 scale to reach 75-80mph you will need a 1km straight.
It's the drag of the high downforce bodies which limits an 1/8 scales top end, not the gearing.
INS box doesn't influence the engine a lot, it only needs a slightly different tuning and a different exhaust header.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 08 & 2010 spec comparison

Hi All,

Please point out to me the difference between the 2008 and 2010 spec. Can 08 be converted to the new spec?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Full Conversion kit Parts list:

308305 XRAY Alu Shock Absorber-Set 4-Step x 2 Pcs
332110 Composite Suspension Arm Front Lower - V2 x 2 Pcs
332130 Composite Suspension Arm Front Upper - V2 x 2 Pcs
332210 Composite Steering Block Right - V2 x 1 Pc
332220 Composite Steering Block Left - V2 x 1 Pc
333070 Belt Tensioner Set - V2 x 1 Pc
333110 Composite Suspension Arm Rear Lower - V2 x 2 Pcs
333310 Composite Upright Rear - V2 x 2 Pcs
335205 CVD Drive Shaft - Front - Set - Hudy Spring Steel x 2 Pcs
335305 CVD Drive Shaft - Rear - Set - Hudy Spring Steel x 2 Pcs
335441 PUR Reinforced Drive Belt Side 4.4 X 390 mm - V2 x 1 Pc
335554 Composite 2-Speed Gear 54T (2nd) - V2 x 1 Pc
335581 Spring C=7.8 For Gear Box - Medium - Silver x 1 Pc
336120 Composite Steering Servo Holder - Set - V2 x 1 Pc
336230 Composite Radio Plate Mounts (L+R) - V2 x 1 Pc
338601 Fuel Tank 75Cc - Set - V2 x 1 Pc

Also included: instructions to modify 336110 - NT1 Graphite Radio Plate so it meets V2 Specs.

This is the parts list off of a reputable Online store to upgrade to '09 specs. I'm not sure whats changed again to the 2010. I put the CVDs and V2 plastics on my '08. I didn't run it much last year. Electric was pretty big where I raced. A local club in my area is going to promote Nitro, so I'm ready to get excited about Sedan again.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

08 Spec had V2 Composite suspension arm & upright !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.