Wiki Posts
Search

Locking one way in MTX-4 with JB weld

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Locking one way in MTX-4 with JB weld

If I fill the inside of my one way bearing / shaft with JB weld and insert the outdrives will that be enough to lock the front making a spool or will it slip?

Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGTACO
If I fill the inside of my one way bearing / shaft with JB weld and insert the outdrives will that be enough to lock the front making a spool or will it slip?

it will look but it will be heavier , i did it a few years ago to my FW-05R. I ran it once and took it off,it made a weird vibration
Old 10-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default one way

ya'll crazy! These cars a designed a certain way, because lot's of time and money goes into them before they hit the shelves.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BIGTACO
I highly doubt it would work and besides, it's not necessary. If you want to make a spool for an MTX-4, there is a small plastic piece that comes with the kit to turn a front diff into a spool properly. You'll have to buy a few parts not included. Let's see, I think you get the diff housings, pulley gear, the spool piece (looks like a plus sign), and that's it. What you need to pick up are:

(2) Front diff outdrive cups
(2) 2mm diff pins
(4) 2x6mm FH screws
(4) 2.6mm FH screws
(2) .1mm shims
(2) 5mm o-rings

Mugen, if you are reading this, step up to the plate and start making diff/spool kits. Piecing all of this stuff together is a total pain. I have played this game with the MTX-2, MTX-3, and MTX-4 and it's not fun. If there isn't going to be diffs in the kit, make all of the parts accessible. Currently, getting the diff screws is a total nightmare for many annd I have had to make my own

EDIT CLARIFICATION: I built an "extra" set of diffs for my MTX-2. It came with 2 from the factory. Another mark for my case. It is really nice to have multiple diffs for quick changes at the track.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Nevermind, I decided against it. On second thought, its best not rig such a fine piece of engineering. Instead I ordered the parts to make a proper front spool. Thanks everyone for the input

Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

BIGTACO, just for the record, the oneway/JB job is possible. A buddy and I used to experiment with spare oneways during our old local club races about 4 or so years ago. This was when racers would make spools out of front diffs with Serpent clay or hot glue. Our oneway spools were actually 10g lighter than the common clay methods and had a more centralized/lower rotating mass. It was very balanced and is still holding strong in my old V-one RR/RRR EVO.

But now, I'd buy the Kawahara front oneway locker. Then you can switch hit on your setup changes between a oneway, rigid, or coaxial oneway. It's pretty bad ass!

It's fun when you can make stuff you can't buy, but when you can buy it, save yourself some aggrivation.
Attached Thumbnails Locking one way in MTX-4 with JB weld-kidd_spool2.gif  
Old 10-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks kidDynomite. My track actually had the Kawahara front oneway locker. Should work out good.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kidDynomite
It's fun when you can make stuff you can't buy, but when you can buy it, save yourself some aggrivation.
Agreed. Nice illustration and steps. I'd put set screws on both sides for sure. Spools take an incredible amount of stress to the drivetrain and I've seen a bunch of what I thould were well manufactured ones, break.