R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Can't get the batteries to charge! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/106235-cant-get-batteries-charge.html)

THE DOCTOR 03-17-2006 02:16 PM

Can't get the batteries to charge!

I was using my Novak on the NiMH setting at 1 amp. No matter what I set the peak setting at it would only charge for about 200 seconds. I then lowered the amp setting to .7 amps and it did the same thing.

Now I just bought the hobbico field charger made for charging the receiver and transmitter packs but it does the same thing. I thought that the battery was bad so I just got the Orion 1400 pack and it is doing the same thing.

Any thoughts???

GrandeGixxer 03-17-2006 02:23 PM

Is it possible that the pack is already charged? :eek: Not trying to be funny, just tryng to help.

THE DOCTOR 03-17-2006 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
Is it possible that the pack is already charged? :eek: Not trying to be funny, just tryng to help.

I wish that it was the case. I discharged it and let it cool but it does the same thing.

Chris West 03-17-2006 03:05 PM

if your charging off a car battery that could be flat, this happens to me when my car battery goes flat

Artificial-I 03-17-2006 03:27 PM

Packs can false peak sometimes.

Reset the charge a couple of times to get it to take it , it should then get past the funky start and will charge normal till its true peak.

False peaking occurs when you havent used pack in awhile or its a new pack.

When a pack starts to get warm this is when there charging correct and should soon peak. Be sure to not let a battery get over 120F or so just in case that charger is acting funny. Thats when it should stop if not its charging too much.

Also picking up and moving a battery around can also get the charger to false peak due to the spikes that happen when the connection is moved around.

Good luck. Let us know.

THE DOCTOR 03-17-2006 06:11 PM

I will give it a try off of a power supply. I have been racing rc for 20 years and this one has got me??

Artificial-I 03-17-2006 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
I will give it a try off of a power supply. I have been racing rc for 20 years and this one has got me??

What charger is it?

Rapid Roy 03-17-2006 09:36 PM

You can also try cycling the pack 4 or 5 times to wake it up.

THE DOCTOR 03-18-2006 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
What charger is it?

A Novak millenium and the Hobbico field charger. The Novak is not the Pro model. The Hobbico is brand new.

THE DOCTOR 03-18-2006 10:17 AM

What chargers are you guys using?

Artificial-I 03-18-2006 10:24 AM

Duratrax ice.

I think you just need to keep restarting the charger after a few times it should go.

Roger 03-18-2006 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
A Novak millenium and the Hobbico field charger. The Novak is not the Pro model. The Hobbico is brand new.

On the novak charger, change your voltage threshold to the lowest settings. The novak non-pro version is automatically set at 12mV which is usually used for Ni-Cd.

Rapid Roy 03-18-2006 01:28 PM

I just use a combo wall charger for both Tx and Rx, but I do cycle occasionally with my Tekin BC112c and DIS350 combo. I use 1 amp, although sometimes it keeps wanting to false peak, so I drop it to .7 amp.

THE DOCTOR 03-20-2006 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
I just use a combo wall charger for both Tx and Rx, but I do cycle occasionally with my Tekin BC112c and DIS350 combo. I use 1 amp, although sometimes it keeps wanting to false peak, so I drop it to .7 amp.

The wall charger I have is for Ni-cads 6 volts not NiMh, will it still work?

Artificial-I 03-20-2006 08:21 AM

NICAD is going to overcharge your NIMH battery.

Have you tried just restarting the charge process yet? I had an old battery just yesterday only take 200mah and it barely would go up in voltage....went up , then went immediatly flat , then started dropping.

I said watch this , restarted it just once and bam....it stayed flat then 5 minutes later started to slowly climb and I was about to get 1200mah into it. My pack was a 1400 mah pack. Worked perfect!

Id really like to hear your results , this is what most everyone does or suggests. Just try the recharge and it should take.