Community
Wiki Posts
Search

clutch bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default clutch bearings

I am new to the nitro stuff and have a 3.0 Losi. I have gone through 4 or 5 sets of clutch bearings since the beginning of the season and probably average 100 laps per set. I have asked a few in this area (thanx Sean, Blaine). I know these bearings turn a lot of rpm and get a lot of heat so you have to change them often and they are fairly easy to change. Does anybody know of bearings that are a bit more durable or any tricks to keep them running longer?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

tko bearings last the longest, ive been running avid revolutions with the grease washed out a drop of oil and the metal shields facing each other inwards on the bell.
the best thing for long bearing life is proper shimming, i get half mm of play when cold and very little once everything is hot.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Proper shimming is by far the most important thing.

Tko bearings last longer but I prefer to run avids. For a dollar a piece you can't beat them
Old 08-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

I run J&T bearings. For the $2 cost, they have been the best bang for my buck!!
Old 08-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Lord

Even the expensive ones are going bad very quickly so why spend te money?
I have bought the 5x10x4 bearings for just €3.50 per 8 pcs.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by buster8787
I am new to the nitro stuff and have a 3.0 Losi. I have gone through 4 or 5 sets of clutch bearings since the beginning of the season and probably average 100 laps per set. I have asked a few in this area (thanx Sean, Blaine). I know these bearings turn a lot of rpm and get a lot of heat so you have to change them often and they are fairly easy to change. Does anybody know of bearings that are a bit more durable or any tricks to keep them running longer?
I know that there are different qualities of bearings out there.I wouldn't mind purchasing cheap low quality bearings or expensive high quality bearings.What I would be most afraid of is buying expensive low quality bearings.With so many brands coming out of very few factories this is what you will get eventually.I believe that if you want to go through the high quality durable route you should search who the manufacturer is.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tko make the best clutch bearings imo, you do however pay for them, so it depends on how you race i think. Its always good practice to change them out before a long main, so if you do those alot id go with say the $1 avids, however if you prefer to just put a ton of use on a set and replace them when they fail, tko will be better as they last longer
Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Proper shimming is definitely the key to keep the bearings rolling good for the entire race day. I highly recommend changing clutch bearings before every main. This way, you can rest assured that the clutch will not be an issue keeping you from a good finish. Then you can run those same bearings for practice, or through the qualifying rounds on the next race day. It is cheap insurance. Compare it to the air filter. You are not going to try and run the same air filter for half the summer, right? It is cheap insurance to change the filter out as soon as it looks dirty, if not sooner.

The best clutch bearings I have ever used are the Mugen NMB bearings. They probably would last half a season, or longer! But, you will pay more. I use those at the bigger events, but I use Avid for club racing. They are probably your best bet for the money, in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jkas10
Proper shimming is definitely the key to keep the bearings rolling good for the entire race day. I highly recommend changing clutch bearings before every main. This way, you can rest assured that the clutch will not be an issue keeping you from a good finish. Then you can run those same bearings for practice, or through the qualifying rounds on the next race day. It is cheap insurance. Compare it to the air filter. You are not going to try and run the same air filter for half the summer, right? It is cheap insurance to change the filter out as soon as it looks dirty, if not sooner.

The best clutch bearings I have ever used are the Mugen NMB bearings. They probably would last half a season, or longer! But, you will pay more. I use those at the bigger events, but I use Avid for club racing. They are probably your best bet for the money, in my opinion.
I agree, that's what I do. Put a new set for the main and use the same ones for practice and qualifiers. I use cheap ones since I'm going to replace them soon so not too much invested in them. Shimming is key for the bearings lasting, if you have the wrong shimming the bearings (no matter how expensive) will be destroyed quickly.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Most of my clutch bearings last over a gallon no problem.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used to blow through them also, then started using radial bearings I believe there called. A-main has them. Think their 8-12 bucks for 2. Got over a gallon on them.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 AM
am
Tech Master

I did use the expensive TKO ones. They are really really good. I take their seals of and blow out the grease, and relube them after half a gallon with a small drop of oil. They last a long time.

I now use Kyosho bearings. They are the best in the buisness. I relube them with a bit of oil and after oil has gone into the bearing i spin them up and blow out the oil. I also use the Kyosho cluthes now, and when using the big shim on the Kyoshocluth, i do not get oil/grease on the clutcshoes.

I see shimming is a point brought up sevral times. I am not very picky on my shimming. I can have 0,5-1mm of slack, and its not a problem. For me, the biggest problem is whe you get grease/oil on the clutchshoes from new bearings. This will give you a slipping clutch, building heat and then your bearing go out faster.

Either way you look at it, clutchbearings is one of the things that you need to change often. The coast of screwed up clutchbell or/and centerdif gear is way more than bearings.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

J T bearing or the TKO special clutch bearings are the way to go but at the same time make sure ur engine is mounted straight and the flywheel is parallel with the flywheel opening. If the flywheel is cocked on an angle either way it is putting a bind on the bearings and u will go through them pretty quickly regardless of which ones u are running. I have also had good luck with the answer rc red sealed bearings
Old 08-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

never thought about angle.....like I said, new...thanx