Wiki Posts
Search

need some basic help with first nitro

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? need some basic help with first nitro

Hi all,
I've been in electric rc for a while now but am completely new to nitro. I found a HPI trophy truggy roller at a great price and couldn't resist. I then found a sportwerks .26 with header and pipe. There is no pull start on the engine so I know I'll have to acquire a starter box to get this thing fired up. But, now I'm at the point of searching for a flywheel/clutch and am running into some problems in my research. So, first question. I can't even find the stock flywheel size that is run on the trophy truggy. All the links and websites that have it don't have a size, they just say 2 or 3 shoe. Does anybody know the stock size? Second, does it even really matter what the stock size is? Will I need to use a larger size flywheel to hit the bump start? I've come along this far on my own but now I need a little help in understanding the nitro drive train. Electric is so easy, basically plug and play... haha. Anyway, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

really people. Nothing at all?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm not framilar w/ that engine but if nobody on here could/will help I would buy the cheapest flywheel I could or borrow one. I'm not sure but most clutches seem to work you just need to get one/2 bells, some bearings , and shoes,and springs. Try to borrow some stuff at the track, experienced guys can put the flywheel and clutch on in less than half an hour so that shouldn't be too much to ask. If your hobby shop has knowledge of nitro surface rc vehicles they could help as well. It looks like online there is a phone number you can call for support, I just did a quick search.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Lord

The height of te motormounts is a pretty indication of what the flywheel must be. That is on the center of the crankshaft
Old 07-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

is this your truggy? you may be able to find info here:

http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=101705

i see there is a parts list for standard and option parts.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

That truck is same as lightning stadium pro. It uses 34mm flywheel and 3 shoe clutch. You can buy the complete set off ebay. Hot bodies d8t clutch is exactly the same. I had the lightning stadium pro for 10 years. I can assemble that car with my eyes closed lol. Great truggy.