Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Check out Rc Xtreme Kleen
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you guys are packing your bearings with grease you must hate a free drive train.

Get some SpeedX bearing lube. Before I install new bearings I pop off seals and blow all grease out and put a few drops of SpeedX in bearing and re-install seals.

Like Martin said try Extreme Kleen its good stuff.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Maxxed-out
If you guys are packing your bearings with grease you must hate a free drive train.

Get some SpeedX bearing lube. Before I install new bearings I pop off seals and blow all grease out and put a few drops of SpeedX in bearing and re-install seals.

Like Martin said try Extreme Kleen its good stuff.
Good luck with that.

2 warm up laps. Free as a bird.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Remove battery tray
Remove engine
Remove all driveline CVD's and Uni's (clean all bearings sepperately)
Put vehicle on top rack of dishwasher
Select Heavy Wash cycle
Put on Heat Dry

Drink 3 premium Belgian beers

Remove car and spray high quality Teflon spray to diff housing bearings and hing pins. Hit it with the air compressor.

Reinstall everything else and spray with KalGard Prep and Shine
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brendon.matt
if you are going to WD40 the bearings after a hose wash make sure you blow iot off with a compressor. WD40 will still eat the grease and oil. you cannot leave it on there.

like i said:
remove engine/radio
hose down
use WD40 on bearing areas to remove water
blow dry

simple and takes about 10 mins
+1
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just have a good selection of brushes. Doesn't take long. Silicone sprays will make it look clean if that's what you're going for.

If it was muddy and the cars are really dirty, I will remove all electronics, engine, diffs, all bearings and driveshafts and hose the plastic and aluminum. No water or WD near my bearings and steel parts.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Okay you guys over exaggerated the it only takes 10 mins part!! I did the method using a water hose and it worked well nice quick fast and easy the car was cleaner than its ever been!! felt good! but the only problem with that is I have to remove EVERY bearing in the car so they don't get wet. That takes a like 20 and those bearings are so messy! The objective was to get things clean. That's the down side to this method. And I learned this after the fact. I hosed my car down with the bearings and everything still inside. But i think i will be ok because because after I took the bearings out and dried them and put some lubricant on them. They still feel gritty tho? I don't have any grease but I do have "SPEED CREAM" its made by REDS bearings used by pro longboard downhill racers. So I hope I'm ok
Old 07-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

if your bearings are gritty you can try and clean them out but im in the habbit of just replaceing them at that point. i pay like 20$ for a car kit of abec35 bearing. granted they are not the best but if you pack them with red grease they are not too bad.our whole club uses this stuff and its amazballz.

when i hose the car down i leave the bearings in. for me the first bearings to go are the wheel bearings and when i check them all i do is pull an axel. if the bearins are free i put it back together if they are gritty i rebuild the car.

if you only pull the engine and electronics it really does only take 10 mins haha
Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have a large compressor that make life easy 110psi all day long Ill use the compressor and the hit the tough areas with a little cleaner from upgrade (purple) and or simple green and blow it off again. Pull the engine/ radio tray as needed.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

This is what I do.

Pull engine and radio tray. Blow button with compressor.
Spray bearings with some sort of lubrication wd40 etc.
Spray with diluted lemon simple green.
Use a tooth brush and hit areas that need help.
Hit with compressor.
Hit again with lemon simple green
Compressor
Then cover brakes and hit chassis and lid with orange pledge leave for awhile in the sun.
Then compressor and wipe.
Then I use synthetic oil on all the bearing. Spin a few times so the bearing balls are coated.

I never use liquid when cleaning my engines even if I have protective dust caps installed. If I plan to use liquid ( denatured alcohol) I break down the whole motor. I don't trust something can slip into caps. I learned the hard way with a os speed.

Takes about 45 minutes.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Has anyone thought about using a steam cleaner?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sometimes we focus on bearings so much while using water we often overlook other things: namely the hinge pins and CV joints.

The dust we get in the control arms/hinge pins will gum-up when it gets mixed with water, causing the suspension arms to not move so freely and control arms to develop slop quicker.

On CV's the surface rust that can develop is an abrasive, which increases the wear on the CV's substantially.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

air compressor after each run

A little bit of KalGard De-Greaser + the air compressor at the end of the day normally keeps the car damn clean.

I just use microfiber towels to clean the rest when I go through the car between race days.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Where can I buy a air compressor and how much do they cost? Silly question but Would the little air compressors that come in a small can that people usually use them to clean key boards with um do they work?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

walmart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.