Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
CAR WASH!!! WOOHOO! haha >

CAR WASH!!! WOOHOO! haha

CAR WASH!!! WOOHOO! haha

Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default CAR WASH!!! WOOHOO! haha

Tips on how to clean your car?

I get tired of cleaning my car after everytime I take it out for a quick bash! I used to be okay with it but now its starting to get annoying Sometimes cleaning takes me over an hour! And yes I will sit there for over an hour cleaning my car... I just don't like to see it dirty. It's hard to get in to all the spots and corners to get out all the dirt. I just wish there was a fast and easy way to clean my buggy after a nice loose dirt bashing session.

PLEASE! Share your cleaning Methods & Tips greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

i just pull the engine and radio tray and hit it with the hose. get into the tight spots and then hit it with some wd40 and a compressor and im all done in about 10 mins
Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Tech Adept

Water won't hurt it?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah I must say that my cleaning method is very close to above :

1. pull the wheels, radio tray, engine and pipe
2. simple green the whole car and let it sit
3. clean the body, radio tray, wheels, engine and pipe with simple green and tooth brush
4. blow them off with the compressor and dry every thing
5. hi pressure clean with hot water the car and dry off with compressor
6. wd40 the bearing areas and spool the car with compressor to dry any moisture from the drive line and bearings
7. put every thing back in with new engine bearings, clean air filter and ready to go next weekend, I do this after every race meeting no matter how late I get home.

Cant beat clean cars at the ready at any moment.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

I use the 50/50 method.....half denatured alcohol and half simple green mix with a capful of wd40 in there too. Just spray on, light brush and blow off with compressed air. The wd40 will leave a slight coating of lube on everything. Just remove radio tray or dont spray on electrics for a quicker cleaning.
I got this method from Extreme RC mag awhile back and works well for me.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TLRNitroBasher View Post
Water won't hurt it?
not if the radio and engine is out. most people change the bearing in 3-5 race meets so any damage cause to bearings is replaced soon enough anyway.

i personally pull all the seals off my bearings from new and wash/pack them with my own high temp greese then put a tank thru the car to break them in.

i have washed mine with water for the last 3 months w/o a bearing change and they are still awesome.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Tech Adept

Wait Which bearings are you talking about?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Tech Adept

I think he is talking about all the bearings. Bearings don't mix well with water especially if you have removed the grease and lube them with oil.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My brother has been doing the following lately:

take out all electronics and engine, spray a mix of simple green and WD-40, let it sit, hit it with the hose and let it dry. His bearings seem to be okay still, he hasnt replaced any.

I tried it for the first time yesterday on my rear end, I just made sure to put extra wd-40 on the bearings after I was done, Id had to mess up my bearings with water.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Tech Adept

the bearings in the car.

like xristoz said, oil bearings dont like it and putting WD40 on them is also a bad idea. i repack mine with ABEC35 branded "red grease" and it repels the water nicely. and abit of wd40 every now and then doesnt hurt it. donot use degreeser tho cos it will eat all of the grease and let water into your bearings
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

if you are going to WD40 the bearings after a hose wash make sure you blow iot off with a compressor. WD40 will still eat the grease and oil. you cannot leave it on there.

like i said:
remove engine/radio
hose down
use WD40 on bearing areas to remove water
blow dry

simple and takes about 10 mins
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I usually bash for a couple packs then put the cars in the basement. After a day or so, I'll charge the batteries and bring the cars up, then bash for a couple packs. After that, I'll put them in the basement again.

Next day or so I'll charge up the batteries and bash again, then put the cars in the basement.

They only get cleaned if they're so caked with mud or grass that I don't want them in the basement, and then cleaning is a combination of stiff brush (like the Grunge Brush) and compressed air. If it takes 10 minutes that's 5 minutes too long.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Leave everything in the car, spray it on, blow it off. Doesn't leave a residue. Best least expensive thing I have ever used.

You guys are nuts for using water, IMO. And WD40 is the WORST thing you can put on a sealed bearing.

Ha... I keep re-reading this, checking to see if I'm in the monster truck forum...
Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I stopped using WD40 after the hose bath quite awhile ago. after it gets the hose, I blow it off with compressor and then use Super Lube, which is a silicone base lube with teflon in it. Very light spray, not heavy or gummy. Let it sit for a minute and then take the air hose to that to. I use it on the wheel bearings, hinge pins, steering etc. I've got wheel bearing with an entire season on them(Avid) and still roll free as a bird. WD40 is good for displacing water, but it strips the oil/grease from bearings also, which will ruin them faster than water! You wont find that junk in my house anywhere!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

I pack my bearings full with thick marine/ag grease. Water deson't do jack to them. I pull my engine and radio tray then hose down and wipe.

Keep the Simple Green away from bearings and especially electronics.

If you run stupid shock boots, get the water out of them before it rusts your shafts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.