CARBON FIBER PARTS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CARBON FIBER PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

Carbon chassis did not work in rc off road for a reason that no one gave you yet, it is called "heat dissipation ", carbon as well as titanium has a very poor heat conductivity, meaning that once heated it cools down very fast and does not conduct the heat very much further than the spot heated. So in fact engines do overheat on a carbon chassis as well as titanium chassis as the chassis in a 1/8 buggy participates to the cooling of the engines, that's also why you could see a part of aluminium in that chassis on a picture someone posted on your thread.
Plus carbon takes heat but not the epoxy holding the sheets together,and that is also another reason why once cooked by the heat generated by the engine it tends to delaminate.
Hopes this helps you.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by J-milz
The on road 1/8 GT class is becoming very popular at local tracks. Companies like team C, Serpent and Kyosho have dominated the segment. If you we're to make a xray xb9, associated RC8 or hotbodies conversion with a carbon chassis and lowered shock mounts I can see a little niche for you. What ever you decide. Good luck.
+100000000000000000000000
If u could make an onroad conversion for mugen, ae, hotbodies buggies that would be sweet. I've got a mbx6r that I'd love to turn into an onroad racer.
Hit me up if do decide to make one.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jeromerc
If he wants to make it and if people buy it who cares. I do see some advice on here about making shock towers and other small parts. What about side guards, chassis braces, radio trays, top plates, diff housings? Losi 8ight T 2.0 has problems with flex in the rear diff housing causing the gears to skip and constant re shimming. Maybe a rear diff housing and shock towers.

If I were going to make carbon fiber parts, I would probably start with other things than the chassis as most people think it isn't that good of an idea, in Asia they do love 1/8 buggy on road so the chassis in the Asia market might take hold. But as for what to build, I think you have your answer start with shock towers and top plates center diff covers, if you can refine the process enough to make contoured surfaces that are very accurate then try to make diff housings as well. These areas flex and if they were stronger people would probably buy them. I know I would buy a 8T rear diff housing, also a top plate or shock tower or two for my mills.

Good luck with your venture, and if you are set in chassis design, I would suggest trying to weave in or layer a thin piece of aluminum into the chassis for added support, maybe 1 mil in the middle of your chassis. Mainly because everyone seems to think the chassis will snap on the back half
Thanks man, I really apretiate it.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiPRRACER
Dont bother with 1/8 carbon fibre chassis... you will be removing the lowest weight part of the car... nevermind the stupid amount of flex it would have, along with a high wear rate and the whole thing snapping at the rear.
Plus the aluminum chassis acts as a heat sink for the engine. I have found that carbon fiber chassis causes my engines to run hot. This goes back years to when I ran on-road.

Lee
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
This may sound weird but I'm gonna give my idea and you take it for what it's worth. I think you would have a better chance at making carbon fiber bodies. I know this sounds stupid and for racing it most likely is, but for bashing i think a carbon body would be kick ass.
It would look cool, sure until u roll it once and see your $200+ take a crap in your wallet. You'd be better hiring a painter to paint a carbon fiber body theme.

Carbon+bashing is like throwing water on a grease fire! A disaster