Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Nitro Pitting / Shortage of HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
It's the 1/10th scale guys allways trying to mess up nitro fun in my experience.

I think they're jealous.
Yeah, they're jealous because their equipment is a good 6 inches shorter than ours!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I'm starting to drift that way myself.

The 3 day events with camping are too much fun. Way better than club racing. But going to a few big events will mean that I'll have to do less club racing to make up for lost "family time" etc. etc. I love the camping, the racer comraderie and seeing new tracks. Noone wants to travel to these events alon, so the racer comraderie (sp?) is really alot of fun. Banding together your "clique" for a road trip.

It's not just the trophy. But big events bring out the fast racers, so i know I'm going to get plenty of racers to compete against. And apparently the charity races are getting huge. Unfortunately the club level dwindles, because when you hit all these traveling events, you need time away from RC to recharge. And regular events start to seem "weak".

I usually save my nitrobuggy just for big events now and run E the rest of the time.
I understand your reasonings, but there is one issue I see with it. How do you expect a local track to survive without a core group of club racers? Why would anyone want to take the risk of investing in a outdoor track which might be lucky to see 5-10 races a year at the most in a snowbelt region?

In michigan and most of the great lakes region every single outdoor track is in some dudes backyard in the middle of BFE. The tracks are done out of love. which I respect and I'm very happy they stick thru the BS and low turn outs. But for the most part those types of tracks are usually ran at 60-70% of their potential.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Actually the non-traveling racers make up the majority of the racers in my area. So the track survives just fine, as long as someone stays behind and runs it. But that core group of racers are 99% E buggy and SCT, not nitro.

But for me, the big events are more fun, that's the last refuge for nitro.

And now gasoline 1/5th scale is growing. Sad thing about 5th.....no pits. Even real gasoline F1 racing ain't got the guts to do pits stops anymore, too many fires.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow, there is alot of "whining" going on in this thread from both sides of the fence.

Currently I don't run nitro. I only own one nitro rig and it is sitting on the shelf. I have been running ELECTRIC short course trucks for the past month and a half. Yes, I charge up a load of batteries and go out to the track and have some fun. I don't have to worry about flame outs or stalling if I flip. However, just like the nitro rigs, I have to keep a close eye on temps and whatnot. I spend time with a laptop hooked up adjusting ESC parameters just like the nitro rigs getting the carbs adjusted.

However, on my last trip out to the track I went to watch only. I left the radios at home and brought the lawn chairs instead. I saw alot of racing. I didn't notice any "young" drivers in the nitro class. However, I did notice that there were SEVEN junior stocks running 2wd sc trucks. I can only imagine that these drivers would not be in the sport if they had to tinker with carbs and brake bias. The charge a battery, turn it on and toss it on the track.

I was asked to pit for a nitro buggy driver. I didn't know him at all. I agreed and guess what...I HAD A BLAST! I never really paid the racing much attention in the nitro buggy classes. I was usually getting ready for my run or getting my equipment ready to go. I am glad that I did get this experience. I just picked up an E-Buggy to get my driving skills honed to the entirely different class than I am used to. However, I am also actively shopping for a nitro buggy to move up to. So maybe instead of constantly hating on the electric SC guys, you should show them what the buggy rides are all about.

Just wanted to give an "e-baby whiner's" perspective. Most people at the track are more than willing to help if you just ask them. And in my case you might just get another racer for your class.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by fulbore4x4
Wow, there is alot of "whining" going on in this thread from both sides of the fence.

Currently I don't run nitro. I only own one nitro rig and it is sitting on the shelf. I have been running ELECTRIC short course trucks for the past month and a half. Yes, I charge up a load of batteries and go out to the track and have some fun. I don't have to worry about flame outs or stalling if I flip. However, just like the nitro rigs, I have to keep a close eye on temps and whatnot. I spend time with a laptop hooked up adjusting ESC parameters just like the nitro rigs getting the carbs adjusted.

However, on my last trip out to the track I went to watch only. I left the radios at home and brought the lawn chairs instead. I saw alot of racing. I didn't notice any "young" drivers in the nitro class. However, I did notice that there were SEVEN junior stocks running 2wd sc trucks. I can only imagine that these drivers would not be in the sport if they had to tinker with carbs and brake bias. The charge a battery, turn it on and toss it on the track.

I was asked to pit for a nitro buggy driver. I didn't know him at all. I agreed and guess what...I HAD A BLAST! I never really paid the racing much attention in the nitro buggy classes. I was usually getting ready for my run or getting my equipment ready to go. I am glad that I did get this experience. I just picked up an E-Buggy to get my driving skills honed to the entirely different class than I am used to. However, I am also actively shopping for a nitro buggy to move up to. So maybe instead of constantly hating on the electric SC guys, you should show them what the buggy rides are all about.

Just wanted to give an "e-baby whiner's" perspective. Most people at the track are more than willing to help if you just ask them. And in my case you might just get another racer for your class.
Awesome comments !! thats what Im saying giving the nitro guys a helping hand you might like it as you did.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I really dislike the generalization that E guys are whiners and cant handle the sound/tuning/smoke etc..

but as of now I only have electrics and I'm shopping for my first nitro. I love the sound and smell! and long mains!

my biggest problem with e-buggy is the length of the mains. with my 1900 on a 4s I can get close to 25 mins on a single pack! I wish we could do 15-20 min mains but noooo because its another e class we are forced to do either 8 or 10 min mains instead. so im jumping onto the nitro bandwagon!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

good for you- you have seen the light!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ebasher219
my biggest problem with e-buggy is the length of the mains. with my 1900 on a 4s I can get close to 25 mins on a single pack! I wish we could do 15-20 min mains but noooo because its another e class we are forced to do either 8 or 10 min mains instead.
I always hear this too from some electric guys: "I can do 15+ minutes in my ___ with ____."

So the question is... why are 1/8th e-thing classes so short?

Because people show up with busted ass, old, dead, flat, puffed Gens Ace/Turnigy batteries and always cry, "I can't go more than 8 minutes with my batts!!!"?? Or have poorly geared cars?? Or have the wrong motor/ESC setup??
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

That's very true E mains should be 15mins if you can't make it then pit.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I do have a 2wd SC but for me no one can take the fun and strategy that 1/8 buggy has.A long main is very rewarding because it's like you have to commit yourself 110% just to finish.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
no one can take the fun and strategy that 1/8 buggy has.A long main is very rewarding because it's like you have to commit yourself 110% just to finish.

It's like a test of endurance and concentration.
The car has to last until the end, and the driver has to maintain his focus.
If you get aggrovated and angry, or you lose your concentration, you could crash the car and end your race.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I just got back into the hobby this past spring. Picked up a SCTE and a XXX-SCT on the recommendation of the hobby shop, "because that's what's big now". I hated the parachuting and didn't really care for either of the vehicles, especially the XXX-SCT so I traded the SCTE for a Dingo DNX408 that had been converted to electric. I loved the larger scale and especially loved the handling and speed. I met a fairly local guy who has been into Nitro for years and is a good driver. His suggestions to pick up a nitro buggy kept ringing in my memory.

Long story short, I only have Nitro cars right now. I will probably pick up an e-buggy this winter to be able to run an extra class if Truggies aren't running and to be able to run indoors easier but man do I love the Nitros. I love the challenge of tuning the engine and really love the long mains.

I have done one Nitro race and I did have a hard time finding a pit man. Someone always came through for me though and I had an absolute blast during the 30 minute mains. There is a much stronger feeling of accomplishment when you complete a Nitro main compared to an e-main. You made it, your car made it and you feel great about it.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McD44
I just got back into the hobby this past spring. Picked up a SCTE and a XXX-SCT on the recommendation of the hobby shop, "because that's what's big now". I hated the parachuting and didn't really care for either of the vehicles, especially the XXX-SCT so I traded the SCTE for a Dingo DNX408 that had been converted to electric. I loved the larger scale and especially loved the handling and speed. I met a fairly local guy who has been into Nitro for years and is a good driver. His suggestions to pick up a nitro buggy kept ringing in my memory.

Long story short, I only have Nitro cars right now. I will probably pick up an e-buggy this winter to be able to run an extra class if Truggies aren't running and to be able to run indoors easier but man do I love the Nitros. I love the challenge of tuning the engine and really love the long mains.

I have done one Nitro race and I did have a hard time finding a pit man. Someone always came through for me though and I had an absolute blast during the 30 minute mains. There is a much stronger feeling of accomplishment when you complete a Nitro main compaed to an e-main. You made it, your car made it and you feel great about it.
Awesome!

Thats just awesome , nitro is fun as hell and a big pita all at the same time

There are dirtbags in every class who for some reason dont think they should help out when in reality it takes a community effort to keep things going on a club/local level . Do your best to help out and everything usually works out , dont expect anything from anybody and be very grateful for anything or any help you get

Happy motorin',
Monty
Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

today i went to a smaller track that usually runs 6 min mains for all classes because they are usually evening races. today we had an 8 min main for ebuggy.

it felt so long! /end sarcasm

i cant wait to have my nitro for longer mains. I could have easily gone longer
Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

E-buggy looks so cool, but on the higher side of cost. 1200-1300 is a lot of money for a toy car all at one time. Wondering if stadium truck will be fun alternative as literally half the cost of e-buggy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.