Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Scale Buggy Setup ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 1/8th Scale Buggy Setup ???

Ok, So I am fairly new to trying to get my buggy setup.

I have been concentrating mostly on not injuring marshals/spectators.

I had been using an rpm camber gauge and it seemed to be functioning as prescribed. I recently picked up a Fioroni Setup station. I looked in the Hudy manual for a reference as to proper usage. It states that I need to place the 30mm droop blocks underneath chassis and make sure that the buggy sits on the block as I check camber. Wouldn't this assume a 30 mm ride height and throw off my actual ride height camber?

What is the general "in the field" usage?

If this is the case, why hasn't someone come up with an adjustable droop block that would adjust between say 24mm - 30mm with an adj screw or something?

Another thing I noticed while checking camber with the Fioroni as opposed to the rpm camber gauge is that there was app 3 deg diff between the two tools? Any explanation why?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Camber changes
Through out the cycle of the suspension ride height set first on flat board then with radio and car on drop from 10" few times then withoit touching vehicle check camber adjust go through process un til right also adjust epa pf steering at ride height not while on standsame with toe
Old 10-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jewn_beef
Camber changes
Through out the cycle of the suspension ride height set first on flat board then with radio and car on drop from 10" few times then withoit touching vehicle check camber adjust go through process un til right also adjust epa pf steering at ride height not while on standsame with toe
I appreciate the response, but I don't think it answers any of my questions. I can drop using the rpm gauge. But dropping the Fioroni won't have the results I think I would desire.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sorru if i am no help i know alot of people do not use seup stations for 1/8th buggy cause variances always changing
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

No prob at all. From what I have read/know, some people just use them for camber and toe. This is what I am after as I have no reliable method whatsoever for toe. As far as camber it seems that dropping from rec height and measuring/adjusting camber and then going to the next tire is very time consuming and the results are all over the board. I was looking at the setup station as a way to limit the variances. Which I think is the intention with the droop blocks. If I had a way to have a 27mm droop block just to press the buggy down onto that would take a large amount of those variances out. I understand that it will change throughout the suspension range. But there has to be a way to have a baseline.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

The droop blocks are how it eliminates variances. Always measure using the 30mm droop blocks and you always have the same reference point. I promise that your camber won't change much when you lower the car a couple mm.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You dont really need to pick up and drop the car each time. Set your desired ride height with the tires on. Then put on ur setup station. Push the car down to bottom out a few times so you get the static ride height then read and adjust ur camber as such. But i find the rpm or simple camber guages are much easier.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Get a Losi ride height gauge, drop car from a few inches with full fuel load, set camber at proper ride height.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

oops, tried to edit but erased my post by accident. oh well

Last edited by skye b.; 10-16-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Limywidget
If this is the case, why hasn't someone come up with an adjustable droop block that would adjust between say 24mm - 30mm with an adj screw or something?
There is soon
This is adjustable between 20-30mm in 1mm click steps.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th Scale Buggy Setup ???-ghea-ride-height-tool-001-copy-2.png   1/8th Scale Buggy Setup ???-ghea-ride-height-tool-002-copy-3.png  
Old 10-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

NICE!!, That is what I am talking about. How much? Need a Beta Tester?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

GHEA: Make those where we can screw them onto a setup board