Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default New to RC vehicles

Hi all,
I live in the Southeast Florida area and am thinking of getting into Nitro off-road.
There are 3 facilities that are close to me. Coral Springs, Mills Pond park in Ft Lauderdale and Boca Raton at South County park.
I have looked at the Traxxas Nitro Rustler which is ready to run out of the box. Looks like fun and kind of an intermediate skill level.
I see that the tracks limit certain scale and classes they allow to run.
A couple of questions here.

1. Is this vehicle a good one for a beginner? I'm an old guy (57), so safety for a kid doesn't really apply when buying.
2. Which of these tracks are more friendly to a beginner?
3. Any other off road vehicles you might recommend?

Thanks, Rick
Old 06-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RickSlick
Hi all,
I live in the Southeast Florida area and am thinking of getting into Nitro off-road.
There are 3 facilities that are close to me. Coral Springs, Mills Pond park in Ft Lauderdale and Boca Raton at South County park.
I have looked at the Traxxas Nitro Rustler which is ready to run out of the box. Looks like fun and kind of an intermediate skill level.
I see that the tracks limit certain scale and classes they allow to run.
A couple of questions here.

1. Is this vehicle a good one for a beginner? I'm an old guy (57), so safety for a kid doesn't really apply when buying.
2. Which of these tracks are more friendly to a beginner?
3. Any other off road vehicles you might recommend?

Thanks, Rick
Normally all club tracks are real polite. But 2wd stadium truck isn't really raced no more. So a rustler wouldn't be a good choice to try racing. Also being new nitro is hard to get a hang of on your own but is possible. Go to the tracks, see what is going on and talk to some guys. No matter the age theres always real polite people at all tracks. Maybe a 1/8 truggy would be more on the lines of beginner trying to race.
Hope this helped

Look into the losi 8ith-t rtr. Also the best way to gain respect on the stand is to stay as clean as possible and if a person is lapping you simply move over out of there way.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default Dumb question

Hate to sound this new, but what is a 1/8 truggy?

Any models you might recommend. I'd be willing to go $500 for car and controller.

Rick
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Normally all club tracks are real polite. But 2wd stadium truck isn't really raced no more. So a rustler wouldn't be a good choice to try racing. Also being new nitro is hard to get a hang of on your own but is possible. Go to the tracks, see what is going on and talk to some guys. No matter the age theres always real polite people at all tracks. Maybe a 1/8 truggy would be more on the lines of beginner trying to race.
Hope this helped

Look into the losi 8ith-t rtr. Also the best way to gain respect on the stand is to stay as clean as possible and if a person is lapping you simply move over out of there way.
Iam not so sure on people being polite at the track... This year i just got into rc offroad and it has been a tough road.. i havent found much informative help at the track. (*on pratice or raceday*) i picked a brand just to pick a brand.. i run Losi..In december i Bought a losi 8t 2.0 rtr.. then after going to the track i bought a losi 82.0 buggy.. i enjoy the buggy more due to the fact that the comption is more intense and buggys seem more sensitive compared to truggy, and itt has been frustrating for me to figure out diffs and suspension on my own.. people that i know run driffrent brands so there setups i belive will not work for me. if i could go back i would of chose a brand that i am close with has also just due to the fact that they would be able to put me in the correct direction. i also never would of thought that the competion at the track was soooo intense.. its tough to watch sometimes.. its amazing how grown adults act..
Now all of that was just from my personal experiences soo do not take what i said to heart just take it as a consideration.
ALL in all it has been a good experince so far and i will contiune to persue this hobby but its lookiing like i will be doing it on my own.