Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jammin X1 - so close yet so far

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
Crime Fighters work basically everywhere. If the track is hardpacked, some racers will look towards the Knuckles 2.0 tire.
Aaron,
Do you use the soft M2 compound or the harder XTR compound? This has always been a question in my mind. Which compound is better for which track conditions.

Your input is always welcome.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Harder compound tires will have more traction on a softer track, softer tires will get more grip on a harder-surfaced track.

I've been using XTR's at Hemet because the track is usually very loamy and fluffy.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

The compound differences for me have been more about wear and how fast it occurs. But it's also true that a softer surface, harder compound, usually.

Anyways, what is the hot set-up i'll need for my new X1 that will be here wednesday?................., Jim
Old 12-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Reading your posts on the amount of steering the new car had brought back some old memories I had while racing at the Ranch. Ron Rosetti and John Anderson raced there a lot and while talking to John one day he said, "you can never have to much steering." That statement has stuck with me ever since. For my driving style it couldnt be more accurate either.

I'm seriously considering this car now. I've never been a Kyosho fan (they just cant make a competitive 1/10th scale car), I used to love Mugen but being around the hobby for a while Jay Halsey is somewhat of an icon emblazed in my brain lol. Wish Losi would build a car but oh well, Ofna works for me

Last edited by madweazl; 12-26-2004 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Well, at least if they do, or are, it will be a while and the X1 will be ready for a freshie by then anyway, ..................Jim
Old 12-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

I think that it's VERY possible to have too much steering..haha.

The Jammin' car is dialed, and the people behind it are top-notch.

Jim - I'm running the stock setup with 5-7-2, the B block, 50 in the front for shock oil, 40 in the back. Dialed.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Aaron, cool, thanks!

Here is a quick story related to too much steering.

At the last TeamLosi championships at Minnreg, I bumped into the A main on taper pins with my XXX-NT(silver ft, red rear). For the 30 minute A, I didn't think they would last, so I threw on a set of last minute decision tires I had never tried on the super grooved Minnreg surface. Directional fronts(silver) and Lugnuts(M3)........During the 30 minute main I moved over for Ryan and Adam about 8 times, LOL, maybe more. I had to barely breathe on the steering wheel to do a hyper donut at any given time. It was ridiculous, felt like slicks on the back and step pins on the front would on a sandy loamy surface! The first turn during warm-up I felt it was too crazy, but we couldn't get them off in time for the start. After, I looked at my laps and realized i'd have been WAY faster using a lap or two to change them.....oh well.

Way too much steering, LOL........Jim
Old 12-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
I think that it's VERY possible to have too much steering..haha.

The Jammin' car is dialed, and the people behind it are top-notch.

Jim - I'm running the stock setup with 5-7-2, the B block, 50 in the front for shock oil, 40 in the back. Dialed.
I realize that setups change depending on track and driver's style. The tracks where I race are all technical with lots of turns, table tops, moguls, double jumps, triple jumps and such. Keeping that in mind, could you respond to the following?
1. What would be the difference between the stock diff oil at 3,5,1 and what you are running at 5,7,2?
2. What are you running for the front and rear sway bars? The kit includes a 2mm front and 2.5mm rear.
3. Are you running the stock rear toe-in of 3 deg?
4. It's not clear from the documentation included with the kit but the setup sheets imply there are different anti-squat blocks available. What are you running?
5. What about Akerman settings for the front?
6. Which upgrade parts would you recommend as "must haves"?
You also indicated that you were testing OFNA's anti-fad brakes. Have these been released and is there a part #?
Old 12-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

I just saw they have a one-peice engine mount out for the X1...anyone know where it's available?......Jim
Old 12-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

www.nitrohouse.com
Old 12-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks, $50 though....i'll wait and see if it is needed first for that much...........Jim
Old 12-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Jim - Are you crazy?! Lug Nuts? uh..haha

The one piece engine mount is easier to work with, and stiffens the chassis..but the stock ones work fine.

slrguy - 5-7-2 should give a little more drive out of the corner and make the car more stable. There's a whole complete explanation for diff oils somewhere on this forum..but I don't know it

I'm running the stock swaybars, ackerman, and toe-in. I'm using the B-block up front.

Necessary upgrades? Nothing really. I haven't had a chance to run the anti-fade brakes yet, and I know the stock ones really aren't that bad at all. The car is just super dope out of the box!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Perhaps my statement was a bit to general In the past there werent very many cars that had a neutral feel to them, either the front or rear was planted. I'll use my 10GT as an example, it naturally had good bite out back but not a whole lot of steering (on or off power, though off wasnt bad). In contrast my electric Losis had a lot more steering out of the box. I never could get as much steering as I wanted in the Associated, but I could always get the back planted enough for my liking in the Losi.

From what you had stated I was getting the same impression from this car. If you have gobs of steering its pretty easy to get rid of, but, if you dont its tough to gain.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Aaron, you know the worst part......I asked Adam what he was running, he's like Red King pins in back and silver Tapers up front.....I thought to myself, tapers up front, yikes, too much steering.

Moral, never second guess the "Drake Man"!...Way super dope!

Btw, I picked up my X1 tonight, From JR Hobbies in Kissimmee, tomorrow she gets worked over thouroughly! Got a freshie 421B for it too!.....heh heh, Jim
Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

weazl - It's all good.

Jim - You never second guess the Drake..he makes sure things get done right..haha.

The ONLY parts I've managed to break on the car are front bumpers and wing mounts..and you can guess how out of shape I was to break both of those!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.