Wiki Posts
Search

Why is a buggy so heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mercedes 190 E
Being very realistic what parts will fail in 200 miles.

Mercedes 190 E Cosworth
Dreaux, is this one of your alternate logins?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Think I feel stupider for reading this whole thread. Yup. And I can't believe nobody said the hudy setup wheels. Fish and chips!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Wow - interesting thread. I thought April 1st was long gone for this year I say that, because if this dude is actually for real, he seriously needs to get a life.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Lord

funny stuff
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mercedes 190 E Cosworth
just about everything. I don't see why you would want to go fast though. If you were to go maybe 15mph and you have the hardest clutch shoes made with tko special clutch or ceramic bearings, medium/cold plug, hard tires, good servos and a but load of nitro. You could get alot but 200 miles is just mind bogling. Not saying it isn't possible, but if you think in terms of time instead of feet i think it would be alot more doable. 200 miles in a rc car going 15mph would take fffooorreeevvvvver. I think 5 or 6 hours if definitley within reach provided you get to change reciever batteries and tires.

if the motor stays on with good temps slightly on the rich side freshly broken in with a new rod and bearings i think you could burn 10 or 15 gallons straight maybe more provided you stay around 20k rpm. I personally think alot of the wear comes from repeat startups of the motor. I would use a O.S. or nova
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Where/what kind of surface and track will you be running?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Mercedes 190 E Cosworth
Your clutch would fail, your bearings in the car and the engine would fail, your air filter would fail, your glow plug would fail, engine, tires, chassis braces, screws would fall out and parts will fall off while your running. Receiver maybe batteries definately, drive pins and couplers, etc, etc. You would have to have routine stops for maintenance every 2-3 hours and those stops would have to be extremely long for you to thouroughly check everything to keep running. I know it's harsh that we are poking fun at you, but from any racers perspective what you are trying to accomplish will be extremely difficult if even possible, but YOU GO GUY!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Funny!!!!!!!

Everyone is answering his questions so seriously. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all of the support. I am now going to consider all that you have said and develop a plan. I do have a crew of about 5 men so maintenance will not take that long. Also what would be the best possible RC Car or Buggy for this mission. It's a smooth new parking lot. Thanks

Mercedes 190 E Cosworth
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks for all of the support. I am now going to consider all that you have said and develop a plan. I do have a crew of about 5 men so maintenance will not take that long. Also what would be the best possible RC Car or Buggy for this mission. It's a smooth new parking lot. Thanks

Mercedes 190 E Cosworth
Kyosho MP9. You pay for quality but if you plan on driving 200 miles straight then you're going to need it and not some cheap knock off brand.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Mercedes 190 E Cosworth
what is the minimum time you can spend in a pitstop? If you're going for a "world record" and you spend more time in the pits than you do on the track, it pretty much defeats the purpose. You might want to contact Guinness before going on this fool's errand. You also cant have a race with one vehicle. Otherwise it's the "longest distance driving an RC Car record." One car does not a race make.

Regarding this pit crew of 5 men: Do they know how to swap out a motor, clutchbell, clutch shoes, change diffs, replace spur gears, driveshafts, servos, a-arms, set suspension geometry, replace shock pins, replace shock towers, wing mounts, etc. Have you ever had 10 hands working on the same car? mechanically, it's impossible.

If you're going to insist on doing this, get an HPI baja. They acually do endurance races with these (with more than one vehicle!! yay!) Buggy or SC truck. Otherwise you're p*ssing in the wind.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

get you the ole mbx5 or 5r, I don't see suspension or arms/linkage ever being a concern, he is driving on smooth asphalt. You can CA and red locktite all your screws. bearings can last a very very long time, the reason they wear out so fast is because of off road dirt and jumping. Just install ceramics all around and you should be fine. Servo should not be a problem if you have 2 7955's. hard tires, and hard clutch shoes that wont have to engage that much because i don't see much breaking and excelerating, a big circle could fix that.

it would be really really expensive and no guarantees.

but it's not impossible.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Dreaux, is this one of your alternate logins?
haha! no way! although i might possibly have one
Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mercedes 190 E Cosworth
Well for that distance IMO I would choose the mercedes 190D for it's great reliability,economy and cheapness.On the other hand the 190E Cosworth it's a very special car and you could broke the record for good looks too.
If you haven't budget for any of the aforementioned cars may I suggest a Xmods Gen1?

Best luck on your endeavours!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

have you changed venues to some where smoother?

if i was doing it in a smooth new carpark i'd use a 1/8th onroad, quicker car, easier tyre changes and you can change the clutch parts without having to remove the engine... sweep any stones off first so the belts will last.