Wiki Posts
Search

2 Questions & a plateful of sorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 2 Questions & a plateful of sorrow

**Originally posted in Losi forums but no replies**

So I finally got my Ten running- took it very easy for a gallon and a half after her maiden run of 5mins about a month ago (thanks to ROSS issues). I modded the tank & put in the M2C clutch and quickmounts so far. I ran it very slow for break in- then I got curious and wanted to see how this new clutch performed--hit the throttle for what I thought was a quick burst-
then the Ten literally took off-- faster than a fat kid on a twinkie. My reflexes aren't as quick as this Ten so a curb decided to help me stop the rocket- head on.

Now I have a loosely hanging front end (no pun intended). The 4 screws at the bumper/bottom area are gone and the shaft popped out at the front brake pad.

I saw my happiness fly by in an instant, then sadly took my Ten back to her perch on my workbench...

Do you think this will be a fairly easy/ inexpensive repair? I looked at the parts explosion doc, I guess I'm in remorse for killing my Ten because the pics are unbearable to view.

Another question- can this engine fit on the Ten: Axial .21RR-1 Engine (Black)?
Maybe I should learn to drive her before I give her more speed, huh? ...just sayin...
Old 06-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama
**Originally posted in Losi forums but no replies**

So I finally got my Ten running- took it very easy for a gallon and a half after her maiden run of 5mins about a month ago (thanks to ROSS issues). I modded the tank & put in the M2C clutch and quickmounts so far. I ran it very slow for break in- then I got curious and wanted to see how this new clutch performed--hit the throttle for what I thought was a quick burst-
then the Ten literally took off-- faster than a fat kid on a twinkie. My reflexes aren't as quick as this Ten so a curb decided to help me stop the rocket- head on.

Now I have a loosely hanging front end (no pun intended). The 4 screws at the bumper/bottom area are gone and the shaft popped out at the front brake pad.

I saw my happiness fly by in an instant, then sadly took my Ten back to her perch on my workbench...

Do you think this will be a fairly easy/ inexpensive repair? I looked at the parts explosion doc, I guess I'm in remorse for killing my Ten because the pics are unbearable to view.

Maybe I should learn to drive her before I give her more speed, huh? ...just sayin...
What sort of car is a Ten? Post some pictures.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ratjayfala
What sort of car is a Ten? Post some pictures.
Losi Ten-T, sorry, it was cut/pasted from original thread
Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Losi Ten-T, sorry, it was cut/pasted from original thread
Mate you really need to strip the car down and check each part. There's not really any other way.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yup. A impact like that will spread throughout the whole car, even places you would no think. Chassis, driveshafts, bearings, fuel tank come to mind, as well as striped screws in bulkheads and such.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

A answer to this; if tuned properly the stock .20 that is in your ten t is more than enough engine. the only thing i would recomend is getting rid of the ross system and using a starter box.
the ross is cool but it seems like it never works when you need or want it to.the one way bearing in the system constantly needs cleening.
good luck with your repair/rebuild
Mark
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you all for the advice!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

As far as the motor goes, the stock motor is plenty fast (as mentioned above) when it's tuned right....I have yet to see one that is tuned properly.

Also as mentioned above, take the car completly apart and inspect all of the other parts. If you don't it can cause other issues and more broken parts.

As for the cost, cut the part numbers from the exploded view and paste them in your favorite online hobby store, I.e. amain, rc planet, tower, etc... thenlook at you cart and that will give you your cost.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

OUCH..
after you have fixed it up and run it again be sure to be in a wide open space a dead end street just wont cut it...
and work on your reflexes you almost need catlike reflexes to be able to handle an RC..
Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Trugsta
OUCH..
after you have fixed it up and run it again be sure to be in a wide open space a dead end street just wont cut it...
and work on your reflexes you almost need catlike reflexes to be able to handle an RC..
Agreed!

Originally Posted by mHOUPS
As far as the motor goes, the stock motor is plenty fast (as mentioned above) when it's tuned right....I have yet to see one that is tuned properly.
Is it really that hard to tune that you have yet to see one tuned right? If so, is it Losi's carb, engine, or ???
Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Agreed!

Is it really that hard to tune that you have yet to see one tuned right? If so, is it Losi's carb, engine, or ???
In general (myself included) the majority of people who buy a rtr are relativly new to rc or at least new to nitro. the factory needle settings that the mfg provide are usually on the safe side. to us inexperienced people if its fast and trouble free most of the time we think our tune is good. but if you meet someone with years of experience with theese engines the difference is huge.
it takes time to learn to tune correctly, if possible try to find someone to give you a hand. a proper tune will extend engine life and make your rc time more enjoyable.
good luck... Mark
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by markkris
In general (myself included) the majority of people who buy a rtr are relativly new to rc or at least new to nitro. the factory needle settings that the mfg provide are usually on the safe side. to us inexperienced people if its fast and trouble free most of the time we think our tune is good. but if you meet someone with years of experience with theese engines the difference is huge.
it takes time to learn to tune correctly, if possible try to find someone to give you a hand. a proper tune will extend engine life and make your rc time more enjoyable.
good luck... Mark
Well put, advice taken. Thanks Mark!