Wiki Posts
Search

$900 kyosho?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny t
And yet that is the issue, the new kyosho doesn't even come with the important options. Like hard coated shocks, or chassis. I mean really, how much does a hard anodize really cost extra wise, as opposed to keeping separate SKU's for the lessor and better options. I bought the SE version and was pretty shocked how fast the brown coating wore through and subsequent chassis wear. and my shock oil immediately turning into aluminum paste. yay.

Plastic is kinda junky, and after the rear toe blocks warped (huh?!) I gave up on the car. $600 can get you way better. I doubt there is an extra $300 worth in the Tki2.
Originally Posted by Danny Teh
at 900 bucks with lots of options parts on the car is not that expensive.

Other cars as I am running a Losi now is not that far off when you purchase options too.

All cars have it's plus and minus.
But generally comes within the same price with frequent replacement of parts in some cars...............and so.

i see where ur coming from i didnt look into the kyosho that much but it does make since if for example u buy a lose then u want the quick change mount, hinge pin aluminum, casterblocks and hubs aluminum basically option parts it will add up to 900 without noticing
Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809

also same with ur ferrari and porche deal basically look at it this way a rock star aka rich person will buy a ferrari to show it off not race it, normally a person will buy the porche which is cheaper than a ferrari and just as fast thats like comparing the prices and cars for example kyosho is ferrari and porche is mugen the mugen can be just as fast but the rock star want to be flashy not fast... thats my opinion but hey what does a 16 year old kid know
Other than where's my period.

Like when you buy a Ferrari you are paying for the privilege of funding thier Formula 1 team. With Kyosho your paying for the privilege of paying Tebo's salary. Which I am sure got a huge bonus this year.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by johnny t
Other than where's my period.

Like when you buy a Ferrari you are paying for the privilege of funding thier Formula 1 team. With Kyosho your paying for the privilege of paying Tebo's salary. Which I am sure got a huge bonus this year.
haha not just Tebo u know Cody King is livin it toman i seen cody run jbrl at green flag hes fast but sure seemed inpatient he was leading and died on fuel in the pits pitman fired him and seemed to lean bog and he thought he flammed again so he started to hit the rail and didnt notice the buggy was in the cow straws kickin dirt i think he finished second
Old 07-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Just a bit funny to me

Many years ago people were paying 700+ for one of two buggies to race with. Mugen or Kyosho. Mugen has changed some while the Big K has stayed about the same in price. Top dollar. I talked to one of the Kyosho USA guys about that very thing a few years ago. It is something that they know is turning away racers from buy the Kyosho product. I would suspect that there may be a cheaper kit with out most of the option parts that may be closer in line to cost of what is out on the market. It probably won't be that much is savings though. You have to give Kyosho some credit here, they have always gotten top dollar for their products. Like it or not they are consistent in that manner. I do think the exchange rate has some to do with the cost. It wasn't all that long ago when fuel prices went sky high and some motor Mfg.'s did raise their prices to reflect the exchange rate. Just saying. The bottom line is that some will buy the car and some won't. I wonder how well Kyosho's prices are fair with other Mfg.'s out side the U.S. Might be a little different story in some areas of the world.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Just a bit funny to me

Many years ago people were paying 700+ for one of two buggies to race with. Mugen or Kyosho. Mugen has changed some while the Big K has stayed about the same in price. Top dollar. I talked to one of the Kyosho USA guys about that very thing a few years ago. It is something that they know is turning away racers from buy the Kyosho product. I would suspect that there may be a cheaper kit with out most of the option parts that may be closer in line to cost of what is out on the market. It probably won't be that much is savings though. You have to give Kyosho some credit here, they have always gotten top dollar for their products. Like it or not they are consistent in that manner. I do think the exchange rate has some to do with the cost. It wasn't all that long ago when fuel prices went sky high and some motor Mfg.'s did raise their prices to reflect the exchange rate. Just saying. The bottom line is that some will buy the car and some won't. I wonder how well Kyosho's prices are fair with other Mfg.'s out side the U.S. Might be a little different story in some areas of the world.
very true kyosho has great products and the price is that high for a reason, but y dont they do like most others for example losi can produce a 2.0 with all option parts installed because losi does make almost every part for a losi better but offered as hop up why can't kyosho do the same sell the kit and offer the hop ups seperatly?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think thats what they did before the TKI2,

The TKI2 is their flagship kit and you are going to pay for it. I do like knowing that every option part is in the kit. The way a Team kit should be. Like I said, I'd be looking for a cheaper kit to be offered without the option parts in the future. I think that's how it went down with the MP9. Still probably going to be a 700 dollar kit, but would be closer to what the market would deem as reasonable in price. I bet you will find a lot of MP9's nicely loaded going cheap to fund the new car on the flea bay and other sites.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dandrat
xray puts kyosho quality to shame, as does mugen. I see mp9's break all the time. they are one of the more delicate buggies out there. Not sayin there not good, but not even close to $900 good. This is one of the reasons kyosho handed losi the 1/8 buggy market they once ruled on a silver platter.
good point. i would pick a xray over kyosho. we race at a track dominated by kyosho(im the only "other brand driver" everyone else uses kyoshos. as an example. last month. 16 buggys started. 14 kyosho mp9s with new option parts, one lrp z car, and my 808.4 kyoshos made it without braking. rest all broke.

the car is good to drive... if you don't crash... when they went light weight. they went too light. and just gave the mp9 a bad name. i would pick mp777WC before the mp9.

something i have also noticed. i barly maintain my buggy(xray 808) i own two of them. one i keep as a backup(never been used.) my other still has dirt on it etc etc. mines always the dirtest to start BUT i have never had to replace anything. other then one bearing which was my fult when changing diff oils.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What's even scarier, is the price if you are on the Kyosho "Team".

Have a couple of friends who are, and they prices for their MP9s was over the $700 mark lol

IMO, most durable platform, is the Z01 (O'donnell)
Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

YAWN....Here we go again

You blokes have to remember, that EVERY part of this car is manufactured in Japan, not China like most other brands, I mean they could outsource to some copycat factory in China, and produce half as good kits (component quality wise) for half the price. Just coz the US economy is knackered, and your once mighty US dollar is coming back to the pack, you think Kyosho is just trying to line their pockets.

If it's too expensive for you, then just dream about owning one
Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As a Manufacturing Engineer, I do pricing and quoting for parts and components, and irregardless of where it is made, it is made to a print. That is the controlling document as far as the materials used and the tolerances of manufacturing, not the country it was manufactured in.

To be quite honest, China has some of the highest tech manufacturing resources in the world, because their resources are the newest. Especially in steel and metals. Their foundrys and steel mills are all 10 years old or newer, where as in the US they are 100+ years old.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have driven Kyosho and Mugen for the past 10 years, D8 only - 2 races..........and damn it's dial for that price.

But LOSI !!!! You know in Asia we dreaded the inch size screws........cause it is not easily available here........but eventually I had to try one...........3X ROAR National Champion car...............is fantastic to drive.

And Kyosho - 7 times World Champion - You ought to drive one in your lifetime regardless of PRICE ! Just like a Ferrari though I can't afford one !

Old 07-30-2010, 04:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

To be quite honest, China has some of the highest tech manufacturing resources in the world, because their resources are the newest. Especially in steel and metals. Their foundrys and steel mills are all 10 years old or newer, where as in the US they are 100+ years old.
Most agree. But the standard and QC in manufacturing standards are still tops in those 100+ year old foundry not just in the US or Europe compare to those in China as they cut corners after the first pretty decent batch. That the killing point in most engineering delivery.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FLHX1550
As a Manufacturing Engineer, I do pricing and quoting for parts and components, and irregardless? of where it is made, it is made to a print. That is the controlling document as far as the materials used and the tolerances of manufacturing, not the country it was manufactured in.

You're right, but to produce the same part to the same quality can be a lot cheaper in China based purely on what the workers will get paid. There is no denying that manufacturing in China is cheaper that anywhere else in the world, otherwise, why would companies manufacture there?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
for those who rely on a truly quality product , price is no option
High five!!!

If i was not such a losi fanboy, this would be my ride
Old 07-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

+1 this crying about prices is getting old if your not willing to buy one for that price then dont, the kyosho is an excellent product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.