Search

Exhaust Gas Coolers? Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
run a 30 min with one and you can ...
Just another source for air leaks. CJ has run plenty of 30 minute mains with his. They don't do a damn thing. And even if they did it isn't worth it. If you think about it, the fuel gets pretty hot sitting right next to the pipe. Even with heat shield tape on the tank its still getting hot. I'd rather just run an engine that gets good fuel mileage and not deal with the headaches the gas coolers create. I saw another scenario last weekend where the pressure line broke from the way it had to be routed to use the cooler. The guy was leading in the A-main at a cash race when it happened. Didn't help his fuel mileage any to begin with. Just another gimmick that has the potential to make a very slight difference but in more cases than not just creates more problems than its worth.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I am running the B6 with the 2057.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not sure they should have named it an exhaust gas cooler . I haven't noticed cooler fuel (haven't temped it though ) or better run times but as maxey said it seems to keep the tune more consistent throughout the tank .
Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

I am all for a consistent tune.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JoeC
I am all for a consistent tune.
Buy an OS.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Buy an OS.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Buy an OS.
to be honest his is 100%+ correct jammin ur spot on there
Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

I already have 2.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

I already have 2.
The why are we even talking about gas coolers???
Old 07-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I already have 2.
i see in ur sig Werks B5 rocks hey good to see i was thinking of one of these a clockworks one soon
Neal is and has great customer service skills he is the irst one ill be trying soon and i hear his handy works makes it even more of a animal
Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just another source for air leaks. CJ has run plenty of 30 minute mains with his. They don't do a damn thing. And even if they did it isn't worth it. If you think about it, the fuel gets pretty hot sitting right next to the pipe. Even with heat shield tape on the tank its still getting hot. I'd rather just run an engine that gets good fuel mileage and not deal with the headaches the gas coolers create. I saw another scenario last weekend where the pressure line broke from the way it had to be routed to use the cooler. The guy was leading in the A-main at a cash race when it happened. Didn't help his fuel mileage any to begin with. Just another gimmick that has the potential to make a very slight difference but in more cases than not just creates more problems than its worth.
i got a little less run time , my engine gets 11+ min the last time i checked it. (Alpha orange head). i just like how when im running dry on fuel it doesnt change the performance, i pushed it on my last pit so i didnt have to come in for a splash and i couldnt tell that i was that low on fuel. it does help alot. but everyone is entitled to their opinion i guess.

even OS engines, you have to tune, i just liked the fact that i ran a tank in practice to tune it for a new plug and never touched it all day and into the night. ran flawless. i just rather buy a cheaper engine instead of a 500 OS SPEED, aint worth the money to me when my 200 dollar engine gets the same run, if not more! just saying
Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i got a little less run time , my engine gets 11+ min the last time i checked it. (Alpha orange head). i just like how when im running dry on fuel it doesnt change the performance, i pushed it on my last pit so i didnt have to come in for a splash and i couldnt tell that i was that low on fuel. it does help alot. but everyone is entitled to their opinion i guess.

even OS engines, you have to tune, i just liked the fact that i ran a tank in practice to tune it for a new plug and never touched it all day and into the night. ran flawless. i just rather buy a cheaper engine instead of a 500 OS SPEED, aint worth the money to me when my 200 dollar engine gets the same run, if not more! just saying
Yeah you have to tune them, but they don't change during a race... Without a gas cooler. It would take a lot to make the tune on an OS change during a race.

If the gas coolers help with tune consistency, that is another reason to use one, but still not enough for me. If I wasn't running OS engines that might not be the case. I'm a big fan of the "keep it simple stupid" philosophy. One of my biggest pet peevs is fuel system issues and air leaks. They're such a pain to deal with. They are hard to find, and can completely ruin a race weekend. I just like to keep it as simple as possible with the fuel system. Same reason I will NEVER run an inline fuel filter again. That's just me.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Yeah you have to tune them, but they don't change during a race... Without a gas cooler. It would take a lot to make the tune on an OS change during a race.

If the gas coolers help with tune consistency, that is another reason to use one, but still not enough for me. If I wasn't running OS engines that might not be the case. I'm a big fan of the "keep it simple stupid" philosophy. One of my biggest pet peevs is fuel system issues and air leaks. They're such a pain to deal with. They are hard to find, and can completely ruin a race weekend. I just like to keep it as simple as possible with the fuel system. Same reason I will NEVER run an inline fuel filter again. That's just me.

ha well all i know is that rb engines, cant keep a tune when its gets about 4 degress hotter. at least when there new like my is
Old 07-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I saw another scenario last weekend where the pressure line broke from the way it had to be routed to use the cooler. The guy was leading in the A-main at a cash race when it happened. Didn't help his fuel mileage any to begin with. Just another gimmick that has the potential to make a very slight difference but in more cases than not just creates more problems than its worth.
Im sure he's got it on there for a reason
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default reply

I run the gas cooler and the tape on the fuel tank and have found that with the two in place i get 45 seconds a tank more run time in a truggy and the fuel is 9 degrees cooler at the carby, so read into it what you will i have swapped the tank and return line three times for the same results, 41 seconds, 43 seconds, 45 seconds and 8, 9 , 9 degrees cooler fuel which adding these all up in the end you get a fraction more run time, or need less fuel at each stop and the engine runs that little bit cooler due to colder fuel which means you could even lean the engine a little more and maybe grab 1 minute extra run time ifyour looking for the fine line......

Leaks are about the only issue you can run into but then again the standard set up can fail all the same....sometimes stuff just happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.