Wiki Posts
Search

Novarossi P5xl discussions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Novarossi P5xl discussions

Hello. I'm a big p5 fan and the other thread got lost in the mix somewhere.
If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'm sure it will get answered by me or another die hard racer.
I just put the TKO ceramics in my p5 and wow what a difference. I also added a bit of caster oil to my gen 2 Byrons 25% fuel and it seemed to like the added compression and so on. I think fuel needs plenty of oil so it never hurts to listen to Novarossi's guidelines about fuel percentages.

My absolute favorite setup is 1.0 kyosho springs with Mugen hard alluminum shoes now this is for buggy so just to let you know. 7.5mm restrictor and the 9853ss pipe with the 41021 header. Save yourself the trouble and get Novarossi headers and pipes, they just work better and don't get bent up. Now the 9886 pipe only comes in the thinner configuration so the dynamite may be more durable with that high speed pipe, but honestly the 9853ss is perfect. No loss of top end and a bit more midrange oomph...Now for the glowplugs. I like the mccoy mc-8 medium plug because it works in every condition. The cold plugs can cause flames, and the hot plugs work fine, but burn out quickly so over the years I've found the mc-8 to work best.

One other point about the p5 is the front bearing, at around the 2-3 gallon mark it needs to be changed, I had never had this issue but they seem to be of less quality than older engines, however, the rear bearing is really nice and should last a long time.
Cleaning. At the same time you change the front bearing or both, while you have it apart clean everything, I use denatured alcohol and wd40, the top of the piston gets carbon buildup, I use that foam backed fine furniture sandpaper, I find a billion uses for that stuff. It bends around curves and works great on pipes and the clutch bearing area on the crankshaft too, and buff the crankshaft with a wire wheel on a dremel to remove rust or whatever. I live in a humid environment so rust is really tough to keep away. When reassembling the engine coat the parts with marvel mystery oil or whatever assembly oil you use, and your engine will thank you. I never believed that taking an engine apart would be worth the trouble, trust me it is, and I recommend doing this every three gallons just to inspect the con rod and bearings and so on.

On tuning. I have found that many racers lean the high speed needle and then fatten the low speed needle to compensate, then raise the idle, the top end needle likes to be flush or just sticking out 1-2mm to have plenty of fuel during the high speed burn. And to keep the engine running it needs to idle smoothly with a properly adjusted low speed needle. Don't be afraid to turn that one in until it will idle and not die for some time. If the idle goes up then open up the idle screw to slow the idle until your engine just purrs along without the wheels spinning. It should idle without engaging the clutch. Then readjust the low speed needle and then go drive it on the track. If it seems a bit slow o the top give it 5 laps to warm up then top it off with fuel and drive it hard like in race conditions and if then it's not quite topping out lean the high speed only 1 hour at a time or less. Tak it easy on tuning your engine. It doesn't have to go into orbit every time you pull the trigger. Then when it seems to top out on the strait come in and check the idle again. If it's gurgly on acceleration lean it a bit, and if when you pull in it idles fast fatten the low speed needle just barely, that needle is sensitive to adjustments. It's amazing what a tiny change can have on the idle and the acceleration.....
Now go try it out......

Just some tips for more fun at the track I hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have an old p5xs I think is really good, i like that I can hold it wide open everywhere and it doesn't explode lol.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Tech Adept

Merideth Roach are you the one that posts reviews on a main for products you dont own or have even tried?

Last edited by J.Whiting; 05-25-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inertia
Merideth Roach are you the one that posts reviews on a main for products you dont own or have even tried? Cause his name is similar to your user name and he too just bought tko bearings and reviewed it. If it is piss off and stop spamming a main with your speculations on products that you have not even owned
I think

Last edited by RC-ZOMBIE; 05-25-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I read the A-Main review on the bearing and it seems to be on par. I have a
P5xs, which I'm about to have pinched. I plan to replace the bearings with TKO ceramics. I was told to remove the inside seal on the front bearing for lubrication. I also plan to have the crank silicone filled. I use the same pipe, header and plug combo as you do. This is going to be my back-up buggy motor. Great that you are sharing info.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know Merdith. He's been in this hobby a LONG time and he can wheel it with the best of them. I don't always agree with what he writes but I respect his opinions AND his right to have them. Some of you ought to try that on for size instead of flaming.

Back to topic. I'm pretty well committed to OS engines right now, but I think the P5 is a great mill for the money and at some point I will definitely own one.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LabRat99
I know Merdith. He's been in this hobby a LONG time and he can wheel it with the best of them. I don't always agree with what he writes but I respect his opinions AND his right to have them. Some of you ought to try that on for size instead of flaming.

Back to topic. I'm pretty well committed to OS engines right now, but I think the P5 is a great mill for the money and at some point I will definitely own one.
Ya I thought it was pretty sh*tty that the guy makes a thread about an engine and then someone has to make a post against him. It actually embarrassed me to have a message inbetween them. I wish people would get banned on this site for purposely trying to make someone look bad. Look at vitalmx for mx talk someone started talking crap over mike Alessi and he got banned. People need to have a little respect for one another and especially for me because I like the engine for practice n maybe other people like it and they try to ruin the thread because they don't like the guy, it's called private messaging for a reason dickfaces and it only takes a click of a button. Instead the 2 idiots made themself look like fools and punkasses with no respect. Should be banned or put on a week break IMO for turning this thread into what it is now.

Also a 2013 pipe is my personal pipe I like.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

if there is any more negative comments thread will be closed and infractions will be given out... please stay on topic.... your moderator
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default Any questions about p5's

If anyone needs help with engines please feel free to ask. I'm an easy going guy who loves to help others. Thanks for the compliment LabRat...
Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Im just in the process of breaking in a XLT P5.. this has some wicked bottom end.. I like it! also running a 053 pipe, it seems to like it!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Suspended

Just bought a Nova P5 XLT, and now i'm looking for the best pipe, ( performance vs runtime), i will run the engine in a buggy.

Best regards!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default 21

Originally Posted by RoosterXp
Im just in the process of breaking in a XLT P5.. this has some wicked bottom end.. I like it! also running a 053 pipe, it seems to like it!
SWEET TAKE YOUR TIME MR
Old 05-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pdpower
Just bought a Nova P5 XLT, and now i'm looking for the best pipe, ( performance vs runtime), i will run the engine in a buggy.

Best regards!
Depends how muchpower you want , best compromise power/runtime goes to the 9901ss , if you want a little smoother use 41005 if you want more punch use 41021 . If you want crazy power use a 9886/41021 or dynamite 086hs . The new 2084ss works great but iwould recommend that more for truggy
Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I got mine broke in, going to track test it sat. I will give u guys an update.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Default Cool

The engine has plenty of torque so if it feels like it's topping out a bit early you might go up one tooth on the clutch bell, it can handle it.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.