Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default Xray owners

I am in the process of getting a truggy. I am dealing with 2 different guys that both have XT8's. One of them is an '08 model & one is the '09 spec. What are the differences between these two models? I can't find much info on the older one?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

longer chassis, big bore shocks standard, chassis layout slightly different, front upper a-arm eliminated and replaced with a tie rod. Carbon fiber shock towers and radio tray, +5mm hub extenders so you can run 0 offset rims.
That's about it, trust me the 09 spec is worth the small differences. The truck absorbs bumps like no other truggy. I've loaned mine out to people for a day, and that's the main comment they have to say, it runs through rough sections of a track that would give most truck problems, the XT8 does it with ease. you can concentrate on getting faster when you don't have to worry about the little stuff.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

get the 09, or sooner or later you'll want be looking to buy the parts for the 09.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
longer chassis, big bore shocks standard, chassis layout slightly different, front upper a-arm eliminated and replaced with a tie rod. Carbon fiber shock towers and radio tray, +5mm hub extenders so you can run 0 offset rims.
That's about it, trust me the 09 spec is worth the small differences. The truck absorbs bumps like no other truggy. I've loaned mine out to people for a day, and that's the main comment they have to say, it runs through rough sections of a track that would give most truck problems, the XT8 does it with ease. you can concentrate on getting faster when you don't have to worry about the little stuff.
+ some lightened drivetrain parts, and a different engine mount.

The 08 is a good solid platform. The 09 is a GREAT platform. Get the 09... the overall cost to upgrade from the 08 to the 09 would almost be the cost of the truck.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Heres another catch, I will be running this truck as an electric.

The '09 is a stock nitro roller w/o tires & wheels with an unpainted Bulldog body - $325 shipped

The '08 has a few mods, extra parts included, includes 2 sets of tires & wheels, RC Monster motor mount, Mamba Monster esc, and a painted, but unrun Bulldog body - no cash / equal trade for stuff I already have.

I'm leaning towards the '08, only because of no out of pocket cash & I'm a broke b1tch that is currently trying to close on my 1st home & pay for my wedding in less than 2 months!

The '08 already has the motor mount, but if I got either truck, I will be purchasing the RCM complete chassis conversion ($190) which will extend the 8 to 9 specs. Then all I need is the motor for the 8 ($100), or I'd have to drop $300 on a motor / ESC combo for the 9?

Trust me, Id rather go for the 9 if money wasn't an issue, but it is, so I dont know what to do?

I know I am getting off topic with all this elec. stuff, but you nitro guys know these truck & I dont!

Basically, minus packs to get either going:

'08 spec $290
'09 spec $815

So would you still go for the '09?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

The 08 sounds like a better deal to me, unless you NEED the 09 spec upgrades that is. The graphite is a bit lighter and such, but on an electric rig...who cares they will pull your house down anyway! lol I think the biggest 09 upgrade is the extended chassis, but if you do the conversion...you will get a comparable chassis anyway.

I still race an 08 as Nitro and have 0 issues with it...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by MotoGod
The 08 sounds like a better deal to me, unless you NEED the 09 spec upgrades that is. The graphite is a bit lighter and such, but on an electric rig...who cares they will pull your house down anyway! lol I think the biggest 09 upgrade is the extended chassis, but if you do the conversion...you will get a comparable chassis anyway.

I still race an 08 as Nitro and have 0 issues with it...
I also race the 08 as a nitro with zero issues. Mine however has the front camberlink mod, captured hingpins with the adjustable holders, and big bore shocks (modified 808 shocks.) Eventually I'll get the longer chassis/rear-center cvd. I DO actually like having the (admittedly heavier) aluminum shock towers, front top plate, center diff mount top plate, and servo tray.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

The decision has been made for me, the '09 has been sold! So, I'm assuming the '08 is still a good truck? Do any of you guys have a chassis shot of an '08? The deal with the '08 guy is pretty much done, the only thing holding me up is I am waiting for him to send pics? I have been searching for pics of this thing, but everything seems to be '09?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Here are some pics of an XT8 08 Roller that I sold a few weeks ago: http://picasaweb.google.com/spouliot/XRayXT8ForSale#

Here are some pics of my 08 Spec:

Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Thats a sweet looking truck! Wish I could stay with nitro, but nitro's are all but gone where I race
Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

I run the XT8 as Nitro and I have an 808 Buggy (09 Spec) That I converted to a flashlight ;-)

http://picasaweb.google.com/spouliot/Xray808E#

Your XT8 will look sorta like this when converted, but I used a Slash Radio box, and made a custom ESC Mount out of an old on road chassis plate. I used an RC-Monster motor mount, and a Tekno Battery Tray/Straps. It's pretty solid!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

the 08 Xt8 is still a good truck no doubt, BUT back to back the 09 is alot better.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, the 08 is still a good truck.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

BTW If I were going to convert an XT8 to electric I'd use THIS:

http://www.casterracingusa.com/produ...2&cat=3&page=5

Here is the buggy one (equivilant parts... note that it includes the chassis in both kits...) it shows a pic of the parts included that you can expand.

http://www.casterracingusa.com/product.php?productid=426&cat=3&page=4

I've seen a Mugen buggy done. I've also seen a guy who had a Mugen MBX5 with XRAY front end... the bolt holes for the bulkheads are the same. Not sure about the steering posts (i.e. servo saver and other side) or the chassis braces in both ends... nor am I sure about CVD lengths. You might have to use some Caster parts there also.

I might consider doing the same thing (IF I were thining about an electric conversion... I am absolutely NOT!) but with the "pro" parts instead of just the kit ones... a few things are different. Either should work though...

Just food for thought.