Wiki Posts
Search

Any luck with after market clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
what is the pros and cons of a 4 shoe vs a 3 shoe? I run the dynamite shoes and they seem to last forever. They have plenty of bite with 1.0 springs and don't slip. but i have gotten a hanging shoe time to time.

Is a four shoe alot better?

It's a much better setup IMO. With my modded engines, my maintenance schedule was getting annoying...much, much less maintenance with the M2C.

Also, nearly zero-slip with the 4 shoe, unlike any 3 shoe combo that would just cake my clutchbell with slag, they just didn't have the grip for the power I have on tap...not the 4 shoe M2C, not even on pavement.

Another thing to note is that it's highly tuneable, with shoe types, spring thicknesses, and flywheel weight adjustment.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wfo
Turbo slider here (no twin turbo) black carbon w/ 2 hard springs they last forever you'll buy 8-10 losi clutch shoes before you buy another fioroni set...
Agreed, although I have had luck with the "twin 2007" setups too but those are discontinued now. Shoes literally last forever. We're talking like 10+ gallons easily on one set of shoes with no fade in performance from the day they were brand new. I run mine with carbon shoes, 3 regular springs in buggy and 2 regular 1 hard in truggy. I change the springs every couple of gallons. Other than that maintenance literally consists of cleaning the shoes and bell with some nitro spray after every race day. Not only that, but clutch bearings last longer with the fioroni too.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Agreed, although I have had luck with the "twin 2007" setups too but those are discontinued now. Shoes literally last forever. We're talking like 10+ gallons easily on one set of shoes with no fade in performance from the day they were brand new. I run mine with carbon shoes, 3 regular springs in buggy and 2 regular 1 hard in truggy. I change the springs every couple of gallons. Other than that maintenance literally consists of cleaning the shoes and bell with some nitro spray after every race day. Not only that, but clutch bearings last longer with the fioroni too.
When using Fioroni Carbon Turbo Sliding Clutch, 2 shoe style with 3 springs how much play do you have at the end of the clutch bell?

I found that I really had to shim tight so that the 2 springs that go in the back of the shoe facing the collet would not slip out and rub against the Fioroni flywheel. I have 1 flywheel with scouring from the springs rubbing against it.

I assume this not normal correct? This would indicate that the springs are past their used by date?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Whats the diameter of the M2C 4 Shoe Adjustable Weight setup?

Am I still able to use my stock RC8 Clutchbells?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
Hey Nick,

what's going on? do you run stock aluminum shoes with the losi clutch in your buggy?? did you try the M2C 6061 or the kingzhead shoes??

cheers
Ali
Ive ran em all at one point or another...but i normally end up with the N2C hards or the stock alum's.

Originally Posted by wfo
you'll buy 8-10 losi clutch shoes before you buy another fioroni set...

Does that Include the Mean Clutch bog that's impossible to get rid of as well ?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Aah, the peanut gallery is at it again. At our local track (Revelation), I have met several locals who have installed the Turbo Sliding clutch in their 2.0T's, RC8's, etc., and not a single complaint.

DavidR- The clutch you posted a link to will be in stock next week. Demand has been very high, higher than expected.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garen
Aah, the peanut gallery is at it again. At our local track (Revelation), I have met several locals who have installed the Turbo Sliding clutch in their 2.0T's, RC8's, etc., and not a single complaint.

DavidR- The clutch you posted a link to will be in stock next week. Demand has been very high, higher than expected.
Alright then... I'll go ahead and wait then.... I've been waiting almost a month. Whats another week! LOL..

I assume it will work with my stock RC8 Clutch Bells Correct? Or do I need to purchase matching ones from Fioroni?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

I have used the Answer-RC shoes, Stock RC8 Alum, Dynamite Hard and now the Ascendancy Racing Clutch system on my RC8B / T. Here are my observations:

1. Answer-RC: Great shoes, last forever and don't seem to leave alot of left over alum inside the bell. Also they are designed so you dont have to use the tefon shim or the washers. Another bonus, they come with all 3 sizes of springs (.9, 1.0, 1.1) (Currently run these on my RC8T with Reedy and Werks B5)

2. Ascendancy Racing Clutch: So far the wear has been very good, the engagement smooth, and also come with all 3 sets of springs. Verdict is still out as I am having a little bit of some clearance issues on the RC8B, but none on the T. (Motor sits alot closer to the center diff on the B, there is a post about it on there thread by me) (Run on my RC8B with Nova Plus 4C, a bit smoother feeling to me then the 3 shoe)

3. Stock AE Alum: Engagement was good until they started to wear a little, then I would get slippage in long mains. Wear was about average, but nothing to write home about. And you have to use either the teflon shim, or the washers to elevate the shoes off the flywheel

4. Dynamite: Same mounting as the AE ones, last a long time, but was having slippage and inconsistent engagement.

These are my observations and personal feel and opinions based on what I have run. Everyone feels or percieves the performance of a clutch differently. I know there have been many that have had great luck with the AE and Dynamite ones, but they just aren't for me.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidR
Whats the diameter of the M2C 4 Shoe Adjustable Weight setup?

Am I still able to use my stock RC8 Clutchbells?
You shouldn't have any issues, I run them in my RC8T.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Ron,

You clarified that perfectly for me.

Thank you.

I was on the fence, but leaning your way when I asked my questions.

Multiquote didn't work for me for some reason???? Mike

Last edited by hakmazter; 04-20-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: multiquote issues
Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Ive ran em all at one point or another...but i normally end up with the N2C hards or the stock alum's.

Does that Include the Mean Clutch bog that's impossible to get rid of as well ?
Never had a clutch bog problem w/ the fioroni must be your tuning....
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jesussaves
When using Fioroni Carbon Turbo Sliding Clutch, 2 shoe style with 3 springs how much play do you have at the end of the clutch bell?

I found that I really had to shim tight so that the 2 springs that go in the back of the shoe facing the collet would not slip out and rub against the Fioroni flywheel. I have 1 flywheel with scouring from the springs rubbing against it.

I assume this not normal correct? This would indicate that the springs are past their used by date?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
That's not normal. You have to be careful when installing the springs to slide them in and not "roll" them in. If they rotate or twist in a way when installing them they can pop out easily. I always make sure to slide them in nicely and have never had one work it's way out. I also use a large diff washer from a Mugen diff washer kit in place of the brass washer Fioroni gives you. They are stronger and don't oval out like the Fioroni one does.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Washer-Set-X5

Originally Posted by wfo
Never had a clutch bog problem w/ the fioroni must be your tuning....
Integra doesn't like Fioroni clutches. I'll leave it at that, and suggest you do as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 PM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
That's not normal. You have to be careful when installing the springs to slide them in and not "roll" them in. If they rotate or twist in a way when installing them they can pop out easily. I always make sure to slide them in nicely and have never had one work it's way out. I also use a large diff washer from a Mugen diff washer kit in place of the brass washer Fioroni gives you. They are stronger and don't oval out like the Fioroni one does.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Washer-Set-X5

Integra doesn't like Fioroni clutches. I'll leave it at that, and suggest you do as well.
Ive never heard of a bog caused by that clutch soft on the bottom yes.... but ,its so ajustable w/ the spings you can even run (1) black shoe and (1) white shoe on loose tracks...(REVs)
Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like I need to step it up in the advertising department!

Anyone running the Impulse-r/c AE setup?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wfo
Ive never heard of a bog caused by that clutch soft on the bottom yes.... but ,its so ajustable w/ the spings you can even run (1) black shoe and (1) white shoe on loose tracks...(REVs)
Yeah it's a mystery to me also. Even running one in my truggy, I have had absolutely zero clutch bog. They're very smooth, but never had a "bog". I only run one hard spring even in a truggy. If you needed more snap you could run 2 or even all 3 hard springs. If everything is set-up correctly I don't see how you could have any bog. I've heard people that have had a bog with the Fioroni clutch, but it was because they didn't have it set-up correctly or their springs were old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.