Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TIRE GLUEING TECHNIQUES

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JonnyW
I think I remember reading that the little slave girls in China doing the premounts used a toothpick dipped in a jar of CA. I flyfish and ty flys and have jar that has a metal pick in the cap. I thought about trying to use that next time. Its strong enough to push between the bead and you can put the cap on to keep it fresh. I have also tried the slow set with kicker spray. But it seems like I had more beads come loose.
what company makes girls in china glue the tires??
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

has anyone had problems with aka premounts coming unglued too fast??
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i used to sand the wheel until i talked with billy fisher, he told me all he does is spray motor spray on a rag and wipe the wheel and the tire then mounts them and glues away. I decided to try it but i use electronic cleaner from walmart(same thing as motor spray but cheaper) and i can glue tires faster and i never have had a tire come off, i dont even bring my tire glue from home any more im that confident in how they hold with the technique im using
Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have glued several sets of tires and all have come out great and none have come apart. I have used jc concepts, aka and proline wheels with their respective rubber.

The process I use is rather simple.

First, I boil my rims for 10 minutes and let dry and cool.

While the tires are drying/cooling, I place the foam inserts into the tire, then using denatured alcohol, I moisten a lint free cloth and then wipe down the bead of the tire. I usually put on a pair of latex gloves while I do this to prevent my sweaty fingers from contaminating any of the surfaces that are to be glued.

Once the rims have cooled and are dry, I then wipe the sections where the tire will sit with a cloth moistened with denatured alcohol.

I then ensure that I have some AKA glue with the application tubing ready and cut to length.

With gloves on, I mount the tires to the rims, and massage the tires to ensure that the foam and tires are seated properly. You will be able to feel if the foam is buckled or pinched. It important to ensure that the tire is properly contoured and seated. I double check the edges of the tires to ensure they are in the groves and that there is no lint/hair/fuzzies between the rim and the tire.

Once all the tires are mounted, and everything looks good I set the tires on the table on a piece of wax paper, front side up.

I then open my glue, check the hole and remove any crud or dried glue from the tip, then insert my applicator tube. Ensure there is a snug fit and that the glue will flow through the tube. (For those that are unfamiliar with this applicator tube, it is a plastic tube that is about the same diameter as syringe needle, that can be cut to length. This allows the glue to be put precisely between the rim and the tire bead with flow control of the glue.)

Once the glue is ready, I grab my first tire, and with one hand I GENTLY pry the tire from the rim with my finger and thumb enough so that the tube on the glue bottle will fit in the gap. I gently squeeze the bottle so that a small amount of glue will flow, but no too much that when I let the tire free, it ooozes all over the rim and sidewall of the tire. I work my way around the tire until its completely glued. Once complete I set the tire aside from the others, glue side up, and grab the next tire and repeat. Once the front side of the tires are done, I grab the first tire and repeat for the back side of the tire. When its done, I set it aside from the others, freshly glued side up. Repeat this for the other tires. It only takes a few minutes for the glue to set, but I usually give them an hour to sit before mounting them and running on them. Before I run on the tires I inspect them to ensure they are fully secured and that there are no spots that didn't adhere to the rim.

I glue the whole tire bead to the rim, I always have, and never had any problems with the tires coming off the rim. I always have problems removing the tires from the rim when doing this glue method, boiling and acetone don't work. I usually have to use a sharp utility knife to cut the tires from the rims when the tires need to be changed.

For those that are wondering why I boil the rims, its for two reasons:
1. It softens the plastic and makes it more flexible and less prone to cracking.
2. It cleans the rim and removes any residue/oils from the rim. The boiling allows the glue to adhere to the rims MUCH better.

When boiling I have never had a rim deform or become too soft.

Anyhow, that is the method I have been doing, hope it helps some people out. I know its not the best way, but it works for me.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
i used to sand the wheel until i talked with billy fisher, he told me all he does is spray motor spray on a rag and wipe the wheel and the tire then mounts them and glues away. I decided to try it but i use electronic cleaner from walmart(same thing as motor spray but cheaper) and i can glue tires faster and i never have had a tire come off, i dont even bring my tire glue from home any more im that confident in how they hold with the technique im using
the keys to having great success are pretty simple but can be a bit hard to perfect .
motor spray or denatured alcohol on a rag is probably THE best way to clean all the mold release off of the tire bead itself , then wipe the rim bead area so both surfaces to be bonded are clean clean clean

your tire/foam/rim prep is more important than the actual gluing

proper positioning and seating of the tire/foam/rim is very very very important , once you have everything seated/positioned lock it all in place with the jconcepts rubber bands or similar . put the bands on as evenly as possible the first time for best results . two rubberbands is preferable for me

onto the gluing , no matter what glue you use , make sure it is fresh!!! this is where most glue jobs fail

get your losi red thin or aka glue ( my personal fav is a 50/50 mix of the two ) setup with only about 1/8th to 3/16th " of the teflon tube sticking out . only peel back just enough of the tire to reveal an area to glue while not losing the placement that you so carefully positioned and locked in place earlier and only glue about 1/2" to 3/4" of the bead at a time . work your wqy around the tire and remember too much glue is worse than not enough in most cases, if you do use too much glue and it comes out of the bead , dab it off with a clean towel (preferably one that doesnt leave too much lint) quickly , do not use a wiping motion , dabbing is better .

i usually only leave the bands on for about 5 min. at a time , this way the foam doesnt get too distorted and the glue wont get squished and seep onto the foam creating a hard spot which is no buenos!! LOL

by the time you get to the fourth tire you are able to pull the band off of the first glued and do the otherside

i have given gluing clinics to many

take it for what it is but i dont BS
Don't forget to punch holes on the outside of the tires with a leather punch

Last edited by houston; 03-11-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackstarlosi
yes but only on yellow wheels, sounds weird but we always race white wheels and never had a problem, the tire will be unusable before it gets unglued, once we ordered premounted on yellow because whites were out of stock and boom, not even 30 minutes and maybe 5 tires from 3 different sets were unglued.

cheers
Ali
Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WOW the details you guys put in to this is ---WOW.

Me I just clean the wheels with alcohol and glue my tires. I use Losi glue. Takes me about 20 mins a set from start to finish.. Never had problems.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Galeleo
I have glued several sets of tires and all have come out great and none have come apart. I have used jc concepts, aka and proline wheels with their respective rubber.

The process I use is rather simple.

First, I boil my rims for 10 minutes and let dry and cool.

While the tires are drying/cooling, I place the foam inserts into the tire, then using denatured alcohol, I moisten a lint free cloth and then wipe down the bead of the tire. I usually put on a pair of latex gloves while I do this to prevent my sweaty fingers from contaminating any of the surfaces that are to be glued.

Once the rims have cooled and are dry, I then wipe the sections where the tire will sit with a cloth moistened with denatured alcohol.

I then ensure that I have some AKA glue with the application tubing ready and cut to length.

With gloves on, I mount the tires to the rims, and massage the tires to ensure that the foam and tires are seated properly. You will be able to feel if the foam is buckled or pinched. It important to ensure that the tire is properly contoured and seated. I double check the edges of the tires to ensure they are in the groves and that there is no lint/hair/fuzzies between the rim and the tire.

Once all the tires are mounted, and everything looks good I set the tires on the table on a piece of wax paper, front side up.

I then open my glue, check the hole and remove any crud or dried glue from the tip, then insert my applicator tube. Ensure there is a snug fit and that the glue will flow through the tube. (For those that are unfamiliar with this applicator tube, it is a plastic tube that is about the same diameter as syringe needle, that can be cut to length. This allows the glue to be put precisely between the rim and the tire bead with flow control of the glue.)

Once the glue is ready, I grab my first tire, and with one hand I GENTLY pry the tire from the rim with my finger and thumb enough so that the tube on the glue bottle will fit in the gap. I gently squeeze the bottle so that a small amount of glue will flow, but no too much that when I let the tire free, it ooozes all over the rim and sidewall of the tire. I work my way around the tire until its completely glued. Once complete I set the tire aside from the others, glue side up, and grab the next tire and repeat. Once the front side of the tires are done, I grab the first tire and repeat for the back side of the tire. When its done, I set it aside from the others, freshly glued side up. Repeat this for the other tires. It only takes a few minutes for the glue to set, but I usually give them an hour to sit before mounting them and running on them. Before I run on the tires I inspect them to ensure they are fully secured and that there are no spots that didn't adhere to the rim.

I glue the whole tire bead to the rim, I always have, and never had any problems with the tires coming off the rim. I always have problems removing the tires from the rim when doing this glue method, boiling and acetone don't work. I usually have to use a sharp utility knife to cut the tires from the rims when the tires need to be changed.

For those that are wondering why I boil the rims, its for two reasons:
1. It softens the plastic and makes it more flexible and less prone to cracking.
2. It cleans the rim and removes any residue/oils from the rim. The boiling allows the glue to adhere to the rims MUCH better.

When boiling I have never had a rim deform or become too soft.

Anyhow, that is the method I have been doing, hope it helps some people out. I know its not the best way, but it works for me.
Wow, for those of us who don't want to spend a whole day gluing up a set of tires. AKA glue has been the best for me, make sure you have enough of it before you start. Mount foam and tire on wheel, apply glue @ 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock on outside bead. Let it dry, go back and complete the bead. Then I flip the tire inside out while on the wheel, remove the foam and run a bead on the inside of the tire. Let that dry, put foam back on flip tire right side out and finish w/ the inside bead. The inside bead might be overkill, but I have never had a set of tires come unglued on me.

If I had the choice, I would buy all premounted tires. My RC petpeeves are gluing tires and trimming bodies.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Dont Know

what company makes girls in china glue the tires??
I recently read that in either RCDRIVER or RC CAR ACTION. It was in a side note. I dont think they named the company. But they were talking about visiting the factory. I threw the "slave" term in there myself-just pictured the classic sweat shop. They refered to them as little china/japan girls.

I cant believe the guys at Nitro House didnt clean the beads after all that grinding & sanding.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

oh, how the mighty have fallen. what you say of your precious AKA's now?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fatdaddy
hahahahahaha
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

ive never had problems, just wondering if anyone has
Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

ive never had problems, just wondering if anyone has
uh huh. your secret is safe with us
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

uh huh. your secret is safe with us
yeah, and Todd you drive a minivan
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

yeah, and Todd you drive a minivan
at least i dont have to beg Kutitoff for a ride to the track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.