Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it? >

Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Keep it on the topic of this thread you even had me off topic here LOL, start a new one to see what all other tracks run LOL but spell it right
Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JBURCH
Keep it on the topic of this thread you even had me off topic here LOL, start a new one to see what all other tracks run LOL but spell it right

yea whatever smart pants lol.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The industry has a lot of room for improvement, starting with putting a spelling checker on all message boards.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc5 man
why would tracks suck that dont run 1/2 mains please , people get tried from racing 20 mains or 25 the tracks. here in pa and nj are, pretty good tracks.
This is the best post ever. I love it :-)
Old 01-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5man
why would tracks suck that dont run 1/2 mains please , people get tried from racing 20 mains or 25 the tracks. here in pa and nj are, pretty good tracks.
Originally Posted by JQ
This is the best post ever. I love it :-)
his posts always make sense
Old 01-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

did i accidentally get on the jokes forum...LOL
Old 01-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Champion

[Ahrnold] "Sissy gurly mauns" [Ahrnold]

I used to say the same thing. But the 1/8th buggy nitro amain is the grande finally to a long day of raceing.

The intensity and strategy, not to mention the need to drive correctly and not like a maniac, make long mains so awesome to see. I'm dieing in the great white north. Wusses mix e and nitro so we are lucky if we even get 15 min mains. I've made it clear to the tracks, I'm going where the long mains are.

Nitros loseing ground up here quickly. If Novarossi/RB/Os don't come up with a powerplant like a four stroke that's easier to use, I can see them losing market share to Tekin and Castle.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
It is a good idea but would mean either going to a belt transmission or having a bevel gear to allow continued use of shaft drive. Which is so durable and easy to seal at the gear cases.

Vivid, Ti is not stronger than steel by volume(at least not decent steel), more must be used to provide equal strength, it's just lighter. It can be a good substitute for steel in low load areas but our experience with screws shows that good steel is stronger. Ti parts need to be designed around the properties of Ti from the start.

Piston Rods in Ti could work but making then stiff enough would be a trick. They'd either need to be of similar size to the aluminum ones (read- heavy) or hollowed (really expensive).
No you would just have to attach your flywheel and clutchbell mesh it to the
spur gear just like the current .21 engines.
http://www.osengines.com/history/osm640/osmg2020.jpg my bad

P/S Guys please give TC5 Man a break no personal attacks. He should be
able to post without being critiqued on spelling or grammar. We all
know what he's trying to say right? And that's the name of the game.

BTW here in the south most nitro mains are 20 minutes.

Last edited by topcat-lll; 01-11-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

20 min mains are fair enough.

Belt drive like a Nitro onroader would be interesting to see. Especially since E buggies won't have holes in the body letting rocks in.

Just another piece of rubber I have to treat with Tag body spray though. Stuffs allmost as pricey as nitro.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I couldn't imagine watching NASCAR, Supercross, NHRA, CORR, BAJA, etc. without the roar of the engines and the smell of the fuel, if they ever decided to go all electric.

I would think that it would take much longer to pull the car over and change the battery in a 45min - Hour main (such as the Nats, even though anything over 30 mins is rare for club racing) than to pull in for a few sec re-fuel every 10 mins. However, this is all personal opinion from someone who LOVES the smell of some Byrons (or O'Donnells, Trinity, etc) at 6AM before a race
Old 01-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Mike Wood 46
I couldn't imagine watching NASCAR, Supercross, NHRA, CORR, BAJA, etc. without the roar of the engines and the smell of the fuel, if they ever decided to go all electric.

I would think that it would take much longer to pull the car over and change the battery in a 45min - Hour main (such as the Nats, even though anything over 30 mins is rare for club racing) than to pull in for a few sec re-fuel every 10 mins. However, this is all personal opinion from someone who LOVES the smell of some Byrons (or O'Donnells, Trinity, etc) at 6AM before a race

yea no kidding ! nitro 1/8 buggy is gone,,, to be around a while .i think once electric 1/8 buggy, has its own class. than at all tracks maybe, we will all have longer mains, like we all nitro heads want.

yea watching nascar or corr offroad racing, with electric engines would make me fall asleep.

Last edited by tc5 man; 01-10-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I just thought of a reason belt drive wouldn't work on a 1/8th scale buggy, the chassis would need to be extremely rigid to keep the belt tension consistent, the TTR buggy proved that with the current state of suspension, rigid chassis don't work for offroad.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Spring loaded belt tensioner. The chassis deosn't flex that much unless its a banged up Rc8.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
No you would just have to attach your flywheel and clutchbell mesh it to the
spur gear just like the current .21 engines.
http://www.osengines.com/history/osm640/osmg2020.jp9

P/S Guys please give TC5 Man a break no personal attacks. He should be
able to post without being critiqued on spelling or grammar. We all
know what he's trying to say right? And that's the name of the game.

BTW here in the south most nitro mains are 20 minutes.
http://www.osengines.com/history/osm640/osmg2020.jpg <-- here's the link that works.

1. How about filling the shocks with non Newtonian fluid has anyone tried that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5SGiwS5L6I

2. Here's an easy one i'd retire the hexagonal screws and find some square head screws. Maintenance would be so easy w/o having to pull out the dremel and reverse bits.

p.s. tc5 man: Start using firefox it has a built in spellchecker
Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xjqkz
http://www.osengines.com/history/osm640/osmg2020.jpg <-- here's the link that works.

1. How about filling the shocks with non Newtonian fluid has anyone tried that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5SGiwS5L6I
OR if its inside the diffs, on power it will act like locked diff (like it has 100k silicon fl) and off power it will act like its grease filled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.