Wiki Posts
Search

making you servo strongerr!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (95%+)
Default making you servo strongerr!

This is a rookie question, but if you get lets say a 7.4v lipo rx pack replacing the old 6.0v one, does this mean that since you went up 1.4v youll get more power out of your servos then descriibed as the OEM states?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Yes!
But the servo will be destroyed, since the electronics are only specified upto 6,7 volt. A newly charged LiPo reaches upto 7,8 volts; about 20% too much for the electronics of the servo and the electronics will crash and break...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Most servos arn't rated for 7.2v alot of guy's are running without voltage regulators though and say they're holding up fine .It's not the 7.2 that will kill em as much as the 8v it can be at after charging. Hitec's TG series have been tested to run on 7.2 a rep said they won't die any sooner. There are JR high voltage servos they cost. If you had to take out end point on steering or brake you might get away with moving one hole closer in the horn= more speed and power. With the right lipo and 6v regulator you will see more consistant longer lasting power.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan
Yes!
But the servo will be destroyed, since the electronics are only specified upto 6,7 volt. A newly charged LiPo reaches upto 7,8 volts; about 20% too much for the electronics of the servo and the electronics will crash and break...
It has nothing to do with the electronics as alot of the high end servo's today there electronics can handle up to 9V input.

We use the 24 bit Fr6461 microprocessor /amplifier ic in our cobra servo's which can handle 9V but its the motor that burns out eventually.

So conclusion is the motor is what burns out .You can get motor's that can handle higher than 6.6volt as thats the limit on most motors, but the motor and case become to big in size usually changes from a 38mm height to about 49mm height which is oversized for buggy or truggy applications.more suited to helicopters.

The way they do it these days is they build in a larger voltage regulator into the servo's for motor protection which is not really a HV servo.HV servos depend on motor design and application not electonics.

I hope this info helps.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (95%+)

thanks for the info
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I haven't tried applying more than 6v to my system, but i think it has more to do with epa being set to not overload the servos. I say this because i had the bec fail in my MMM once and sent full 3S 11.1v to my steering servo. It was FAST but did no damage. I didn't run it long but i did for a minute or two. After that i used the servo for a long time to come until i upgraded. It was a chaep servo and it survived 11.1V. Keep in mind I had my epa set properly. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan
Yes!

lipo's charge up to 8.4v Not 7.8v and most electronic Receiver's are rated for 6v not 6.7v

Originally Posted by brofroe
I haven't tried applying more than 6v to my system, but i think it has more to do with epa being set to not overload the servos. I say this because i had the bec fail in my MMM once and sent full 3S 11.1v to my steering servo. It was FAST but did no damage. I didn't run it long but i did for a minute or two. After that i used the servo for a long time to come until i upgraded. It was a chaep servo and it survived 11.1V. Keep in mind I had my epa set properly. Hope this helps.
the ESC regulates the servo voltage....Not the pack.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brofroe

I can't see what your saying happening from what i know and have tested is once your bec goes open circuit the esc will not power up your reciever let alone your servo's.Once it goes short circuit it will work for few seconds once the current ramps up and then will burn .

Your claim if running the servo's for 1 -2 minutes is a very long time at 11.1volt.The bec function is only for your receiver which inturn powers the servos it is not used for the motor .

At 11.1v at the receiver and servo your Epa would have been set at less than 30% which isn't to much steering as you know the more movement the servo does while a signal is applied the more voltage the more current is used as the servo motor ramps up the speed to make the movement.

If you had plugged in the 11.1volt direct it would have lasted maximum 3 secs before you would have had a BBQ.

i hope this information helps you to understand servo's
Old 12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MTclassPro
This is a rookie question, but if you get lets say a 7.4v lipo rx pack replacing the old 6.0v one, does this mean that since you went up 1.4v youll get more power out of your servos then descriibed as the OEM states?

Thanks

Remember there is no such thing as a rookie or a stupid question there is always an answer for everything and we are not all experts so please ask as many rookie questions as you like we all learn together .