Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner Engine for Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default Beginner Engine for Truggy

Whats a good beginner engine for a RC8T truggy, this will be my first attempt at nitro. i have no idea how to tune engines to get the most power out of them. Any help would be great...
Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

os v-spec. Easy to tune & holds a tune well . But get ready for about a million different opinions . LOL
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Actually (here comes the first opinion... lol) I think the VSPEC is not a good choice for a beginner in a truggy.

Although it is easy to tune... it isn't a particularly durable engine, especially at the price point. There are other engines which will last longer at that price... or that will last as long for half the price.

The Werks B5 and the Alpha engines will both provide as good or better performance for less money and last longer.

I used to run VSPECS, I'm done with them. They make lots of power, they're easy to tune... but they don't live long in a truggy- you're working them too hard.

I'm currently running a modded Novarossi N21BF limited. Not quite as much power as the VSPEC, but half the cost, and I expect at least as much life out of it... probably twice as much. It isn't a great truggy engine, it isn't QUITE as powerful as I would like... but it would be plenty for a beginner.

However, it wouldn't be a good beginner engine because it is a SEVERE pain in the backside to tune. You have to tune it in increments of "a hair" instead of "an hour." What would be a mild change in tune on an OS is a big change on that one. I'm not sure why, but that's the way it is. lol

If you have someone tuning for you that knows Novarossi engines it would be good though.

My personal favorite "beginner truggy engine" is unfortunately discontinued- the Sportwerks 26 v2. Easy to tune, reliable, plenty of power, and was about $129. The Losi Mach 427 is basically the same engine. You have to remove the pull start and put on a different backplate, so that added another $12 to the cost.

What's your budget? Very cheap? ($150 or so?) Decent lower-tier? ($200-$225?) The sky is the limit?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Depending on your budget the Os vspec is an excellent beginner engine be ause itnis easy to tune. For $100 less a werks b5 will more than do the job and the nove 21bf mentioned above is a great little engine. If you get the nova modded that brings it near the 300 mark of the vspec. OS engines are very easy to tune and that makes them desireable by most drivers. No one likes a bad tuning day at the track. I use to have them all the time when I ran grp's too rich too lean too hot etc. I run os speed engines now (not a beginner engine) but still an os engine and very easy to tune.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Look me up , the 3 port is not hard to tune . Its needle thread pitch on the carb adjustments are finer than os carbs but not hard to tune . I can do a n21bf or r limited for 140$ if you want it tuned that's another 40$ and add a dynamite 086hs for 55$ or so and that's a total of 235$ minus the shipping of course but a very good deal on a complete package . Www.houstonsengineservice.com
Old 12-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with all of the above mentioned engines as they are great motors! I would have to second Domit on the Alpha plus line of engines availible from TrackStar. Great product at a great price!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

If you want no drama tuning a motor and you are not on a budget vspec is a good option. I would suggest replacing the stock bearings with ceramics. You should be good to go after that for 5-7 gallons depending on the type of track you run at and driving style.

The only downside to the vspec, is you could probably rebuild it once with a piston sleeve rod, after the first one wears out. In my experience (and also why DOMIT is stating durability is weak), two rebuilds is probably not a good idea as the stock vspec doesn't have a hardened crank and it will wear out of tolerance after the second piston sleeve. Now if you can get a speed or ninja crank, GAME ON!

Of course if you do not have good throttle control, it may be too much for a beginner So long as you are having fun ,who cares, right???
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Potoczak
Whats a good beginner engine for a RC8T truggy, this will be my first attempt at nitro. i have no idea how to tune engines to get the most power out of them. Any help would be great...

go with the houston mod tuned nova .21 bf its a good engine i run it in my buggy i have ran a guy truggy before with a mod nova .21 bf and i like it man it ran good and its not hard to tune but to me it can be a little finky to tune so go at little turns on the needle and u can get it broken in from him to,and always make sure the smoke coming out of the pipe and tune a rich to be safe
Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default For a beginner guys.

You really want an engine that holds atune and is reliable without wheel spinning wallet busting bearing changing rod busting and so on. Get a novarossi .21bf for 150 dollars. Then later when you get better you can get a faster engine. true the truggy needs torque and if 250 sounds ok then get the p5xls. It rips and lasts forever.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
You really want an engine that holds atune and is reliable without wheel spinning wallet busting bearing changing rod busting and so on. Get a novarossi .21bf for 150 dollars. Then later when you get better you can get a faster engine. true the truggy needs torque and if 250 sounds ok then get the p5xls. It rips and lasts forever.
oh , the 3 port is crazy in the torque dept.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

[quote=rfleck;6677211]If you want no drama tuning a motor and you are not on a budget vspec is a good option. I would suggest replacing the stock bearings with ceramics. You should be good to go after that for 5-7 gallons depending on the type of track you run at and driving style.
[quote]

This is exactly my point. Buy a relatively pricey engine to begin with, that has bearings that aren't as durable as I feel like they should be. Put in ceramic bearings and you are well over $300 for 5-7 gallons.

The only downside to the vspec, is you could probably rebuild it once with a piston sleeve rod, after the first one wears out. In my experience (and also why DOMIT is stating durability is weak), two rebuilds is probably not a good idea as the stock vspec doesn't have a hardened crank and it will wear out of tolerance after the second piston sleeve. Now if you can get a speed or ninja crank, GAME ON!
The other downside to the VSPEC for a beginner is how "snappy" they are. Gobs of power bottom to top. It is very linear, but it hits hard on the bottom... it would be easier to learn to drive with something not quite so powerful.

Of course if you do not have good throttle control, it may be too much for a beginner So long as you are having fun ,who cares, right???
Yup, exactly. I don't think what I'm running would be a bad beginner engine, except you know how finicky it is on tune. (I think I remember you saying "here, I'll fix it... just hold it wide open until it blows and you can get something that we can tune...")

It doesn't have overwhelming power anywhere... (trust me, this sounds wrong, but for a beginner less power is more effective!) but it is smooth and controllable... modded, WITH a pipe, it is less $$ than a stock VSPEC, and you don't need to change the bearings. You probably don't even need the modded one... it will be easier to learn with less power.

I'll also be shocked if it doesn't last at least as long. 2 gallons now, and been over 300 degrees due to a fuel tank failure... and I still can't turn it over by hand in the chassis.

The Werks and Alpha engines are a lot of bang for the buck too. ONE of those will be my next engine. Not sure which yet.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

RB Killer 9 with a dynamite 086 pipe. Nice smooth easy to control but enough power to be competitive at an intermediate level. Easy to tune, easy to break in, and will last a long time. Once you get a little more experience switch to an 053 with short headder or a 2045 pipe for more overall power once you think you need a little more. I learned 1/8 scale on a v-spec that is now about 10 gallons in and I have only changed the rod once and the rear bearing as well. Before that I had bashed a nitro T-maxx for years so I knew my way around nitro a little.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Prophet

get the nova 21 bf espially if your a beginner its good in a truggy and u
can always get it modded for more power and put the high speed pipe
on it it has prently of speed i u ask me espailly if u gear it up
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

since this will be his first nitro,i recommend a grenade rtr engine.
this will allow you to learn how to tune and learn nitro basics and most taiwan engines are very use to tune and run.
understanding and tuning a italian engine is a whole new ballgame its like putting a kid fresh out of high school under the hood of a ferrari.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

I'd have to say go for one of the inexpensive taiwan engines for a first. Dynamite has a couple of new mills out there. The 26 truggy is what I would go with. I think it's 129.99 plus the $12 backplate and learn with it and then once your confident with your tuning skills step up to one of purple head monster out there! Houston would be a great choice to buy one of these from!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.