Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with RC gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Flying with RC gear.

So I'm gonna fly to TX for RCP Int. Finals next week. I've done my homework as far as size/weight, carry-on vs. checked luggage, etc. I am likely going to take my gear on flight. Granted, I could ship it, but that's more $ I really don't want to spend. What I'm really interested in hearing about is for those that fly or have flown, have you done so with your RC gear on board, and if so, what did you use to store it? I did pick up a cardboard box from U.P.S, of the proper dimensions, but I'm not sure I'd trust it to hold up. Any thoughts, ideas, etc???
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

i wondered about this same issue and seen frank L do this a while back. i know of one guy in particular that will be driving from indiana where im from although if i were to go to tx for this event i would have to fly and actually kind of considered it. id have to say duct tape holding lids onto a couple large containers. might have to leave the t8 at home, or maybe not. either way gonna be some big heavy luggage
Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Just be sure it is under 50lbs. And use the contico boxes available at walmart . No aerosol cans no fuel residue put liquids in ziploc bags . I would definitely not trust a cardboard box to carry my stuff on the plane . Use a zip tie to lock the lid shut and put a few extra inside in plain sight in case they decide to inspect your box .
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

With what airline charge for bags, wouldnt it be cheaper to ship ?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

I've flown with nitro heli stuff and I'm sure they will treat you no different. I learned to have spare fuel tanks with me, twice an airline wouldn't let me take it on with fuel residue in the tank and made me take it out. So be ready for that.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Just use a couple of those contico boxes that Houston was talking about. They are perfect for flights. Make sure you have extra zipties taped to the inside of the box and make sure you write on them to replace the ziptie. I take my radio on with me aswell as my car in a backpack. That way if the airline looses your boxes you still have your stuff to race.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Can one of you please post a link to the Contico? I tried a search on Walmart web, too many pages, mostly of jewelry type boxes n such...Im lost,lol. Thx

I'm flying SWA. I can take 2 cargo packages, up to 50 Lb each, girth of 62" or smaller @ no extra charge. I can also have one carryon, 24x16x10 if I remember correct. And one "personal" bag which will likely hold my camera and maybe my batteries ( 6c NiMh for starter and a few LiPo for Rx). I havn't looked into it totally, but I would guess I can have my laptop and my Tx inside the carryon. Fuel Tank, I already have that covered...have one brand new, still sealed in plastic and won't be taking the one I've been using.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Can one of you please post a link to the Contico? I tried a search on Walmart web, too many pages, mostly of jewelry type boxes n such...Im lost,lol. Thx

I'm flying SWA. I can take 2 cargo packages, up to 50 Lb each, girth of 62" or smaller @ no extra charge. I can also have one carryon, 24x16x10 if I remember correct. And one "personal" bag which will likely hold my camera and maybe my batteries ( 6c NiMh for starter and a few LiPo for Rx). I havn't looked into it totally, but I would guess I can have my laptop and my Tx inside the carryon. Fuel Tank, I already have that covered...have one brand new, still sealed in plastic and won't be taking the one I've been using.
The laptop and radio can sit in your carry on without issue. Check this for the checked baggage.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

contico box http://www.walmart.com/Contico-Stora...ker/ip/2476189

try to get one without the wheels, because they usually break off. i dont think that one has them
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Thx MW, that's the page I had originally obtained my info from.

Thx Ben...site to store shipping is a minor problem though. Hopefully I can find something in stock :|
Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So CAN you fly with Lipo's....im reading BS on Larger Lithium Metal Batteries contain over two grams of lithium, and are forbidden in air travel.....the description's of which are allowed n what not isn't exactly clear.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
So CAN you fly with Lipo's....im reading BS on Larger Lithium Metal Batteries contain over two grams of lithium, and are forbidden in air travel.....the description's of which are allowed n what not isn't exactly clear.
I've flown with larger lipo's than what are use in 1/8th e-buggys, no problem.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

I can only reply as to SWA as that is what I am flying. You can not have LiPo batteries in cargo, but you can have them within a carryon. The philisophy is that, should an incident occur, it can by monitored and extinguished, if necessary...lemme find the link I read earlier.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/batteries.html
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Last edited by NitroOB4You; 10-27-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: link added...also corrected mistakes to original post :P
Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
I can only reply as to SWA as that is what I am flying. You can not have LiPo batteries in cargo, but you can have them within a carryon. The philisophy is that, should an incident occur, it can by monitored and extinguished, if necessary...lemme find the link I read earlier.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/batteries.html
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

that's what i was reading.....but does 74wh sound right for a big 5000 4S ? i mean what is 300wh out there ?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Im pretty sure if you check your luggage you will be fine. How do they ship lipos if they cant be on the plane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.