Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
been out for awhile. best nitro motors???? >

been out for awhile. best nitro motors????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

been out for awhile. best nitro motors????

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by awdcameolsx
Ahh OK makes since now. You are trying to sell them so you over-rate them. Got it.

The Speed is a fuel economy racing engine like the NR +4, its not a no holds barred powerhouse like the Piccos, NR Fms, RB WS9.

If your track and main lengths don't require a complex fuel strategy, then the Piccos will shred the Speeds. They rip, I can't imagine what a modded one will do.

Some Piccos seem to get decent mileage anyway.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ahh OK makes since now. You are trying to sell them so you over-rate them. Got it.

Other then mileage the modified Picco will rip all over the Speed... Seriously this is no exaggeration whatsoever... I modify many OS engines and own a few myself..the V-Spec's are awesome race engines in all aspects...However the modified Picco's have a huge power and RPM advantage over the stock OS, even the Speed....We use the OS engines for Buggy and the Picco engines for truggy....

Here is a 10 gallon old stage 1 modified Picco .21 in a basher Turmoil Buggy.... This isn't even a fresh engine, nor is it aggressively modified. It absolutely stomps all over the Ninja JX we run, even the modified JX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qi_ImnmgI
Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

No offence to engine modders or modding engines for power.

Though the current trend is for fuel mileage. What mods can you accomplish for mileage?

Current engines on the market with no mods that can go 10+ that I have experienced are the STD OS V-Spec, Speed, NR+4 and both of the Alpha Plus engines.

I've yet to see a Picco go more than 8:45 and this was an Adrien Bertin tuned Orion CRF.

Those engines by the way are my top picks for $$ to performance ratio.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

Though the current trend is for fuel mileage. What mods can you accomplish for mileage?

Current engines on the market with no mods that can go 10+ that I have experienced are the STD OS V-Spec, Speed, NR+4 and both of the Alpha Plus engines.

I've yet to see a Picco go more than 8:45 and this was an Adrien Bertin tuned Orion CRF.

plus4

hi Jimmy , there are some things that can be done for mileage

and btw , nice track there maximo sounded like a typical picco (jpx) on/off switch with little or no powerband . they do make aaaallllooootttt of power no doubt about that .
Old 10-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
a Modded picco wont let you down in truggy....Way more power then a Speed and 1/2 the price.
There is NO WAY a picco is better then a Speed. Nor can it reach the reliability of one.

But back to the question you asked. The V-spec is still a GREAT motor. The Ninja JX .21 and Speed are now just higher power/more fuel efficient versions of the good ole v-spec. If you like raw power the JX is great. If you like sooth power the speed is amazing. I know nova's and RB's last a long time but neither seems as nice to drive as an OS. I have heard a ton of good things about the Werks B5 especially in the smooth power and run time department. For $200 it looks awesome.
The OS speed line of engines are expensive for a reason, they are the best all around engine with only the finest components installed. The .21 speed engine is a 4 port engine, you cant compare it to 5 and 7 port engines and expect the field to be level. I run speed engines in both my buggy and truggy and there are few cars on the track that can touch them. The rest is up to me, the driver to keep the car on its wheels. The speed engine is in a class all itself, The Ninja is a good knock-off that uses some speed parts but its just that a counterfeit speed engine. The Ninja is one hell of an engine it always pulls hard at my local tracks, but just the sound of a speed engine winding up will turn heads. They rev way up there and sound like they are going to blow but they keep going. I have seen a lot of novas have flameout issues and stock vspecs are great but dont last long. I have one speed engine that has almost 6 gallons on it and all I have one is replace the bearings at about 5.5 gallons. The pinch is very good and power is like it was right after it broke in. I love these engines. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Frank L
The OS speed line of engines are expensive for a reason, they are the best all around engine with only the finest components installed. The .21 speed engine is a 4 port engine, you cant compare it to 5 and 7 port engines and expect the field to be level. I run speed engines in both my buggy and truggy and there are few cars on the track that can touch them. The rest is up to me, the driver to keep the car on its wheels. The speed engine is in a class all itself, The Ninja is a good knock-off that uses some speed parts but its just that a counterfeit speed engine. The Ninja is one hell of an engine it always pulls hard at my local tracks, but just the sound of a speed engine winding up will turn heads. They rev way up there and sound like they are going to blow but they keep going. I have seen a lot of novas have flameout issues and stock vspecs are great but dont last long. I have one speed engine that has almost 6 gallons on it and all I have one is replace the bearings at about 5.5 gallons. The pinch is very good and power is like it was right after it broke in. I love these engines. Just my 2 cents.
improper tuning always causes flame outs . tuning includes plugs , clutch , pipe , etc. .
Old 10-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Max has messaged my motor's for the last 3 or so year's.....i cant ask for any thing more....Top notch service along with motor's that run like his name....Clockwork.
Wow, does he message them via cell text or windows msn!!! thats pretty cool modding them via text message!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

If you are new to nitro motors I would stay away from the Picco's they are a tuning nightmare for the uninitiated, I would also avoid the Go Techs they go hard but not for long, Sirio make a good mill but again for a newb I would not recommend one.

Best motors at the moment imho are the Nova +4, Speed, Ninja and the RB R9 or if you want something cheap the Reedy is a good mill but does not have the top end of the other 3.

What people don’t realize is a quick motor does not necessarily make a good race motor, I have seen too many people go backwards because they buy the fastest, badest and modded mill out there but cannot handle the power.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by FactoryTeam08
If you are new to nitro motors I would stay away from the Picco's they are a tuning nightmare for the uninitiated, I would also avoid the Go Techs they go hard but not for long, Sirio make a good mill but again for a newb I would not recommend one.

Best motors at the moment imho are the Nova +4, Speed, Ninja and the RB R9 or if you want something cheap the Reedy is a good mill but does not have the top end of the other 3.

What people don’t realize is a quick motor does not necessarily make a good race motor, I have seen too many people go backwards because they buy the fastest, badest and modded mill out there but cannot handle the power.
my point exactly

there is something called useable power
Old 10-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have a buddy that started with a modded vspec. The engine was very fast but a little hard to drive. He then tried a speed engine because the guys atte track all like em and want one. The speed is one of the smoothest engines out there my buddy was shocked at how much easier th car handled just becuase he had useable power. No more doughnuts for him. Since he has switched all his engines to the speed engines and he cars are easier to drive. A light switch is only good on one spot on the track and that's on the straight. The other 90% of the track you usually only pull the trigger 50% and this means a smooth engine will make you a better driver. Like in the old electric days of mechanical speed controlls when the low and mid range would blow out and all you had was off or top speed, fun for speed runs but not good on the track. And very very hard to control.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow, does he message them via cell text or windows msn!!! thats pretty cool modding them via text message!!!

thx for the spelling correction.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Dont let this turn into an argument with stupid comments and personal attacks on each other or I will delete it. Just play nice people. Give your opinions and experiences/facts in respectful posts or refrain from posting
Old 10-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Dont let this turn into an argument with stupid comments and personal attacks on each other or I will delete it. Just play nice people. Give your opinions and experiences/facts in respectful posts or refrain from posting
exactly my point , new mod ?? it is a public forum
Old 10-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

My modified engines always make better runtimes then their stock counterparts... How much better really depends on the end user and how they tune it....

Originally Posted by houston
plus4

hi Jimmy , there are some things that can be done for mileage

and btw , nice track there maximo sounded like a typical picco (jpx) on/off switch with little or no powerband . they do make aaaallllooootttt of power no doubt about that .
IMO the Picco has a huge powerband, it makes power earlier then most motors and carries its power higher in the RPM range as well, giving it a big broad powerband.... However it does make alot of power and because of that its not the smoothest engine on the block.... To some the modified Picco will seem brutal, however to me many of these other highly regarded engines seem absolutely gutless...... Its all about perspective....If your used to a OS Speed the Picco will feel like a brute, but if your used to the Picco the OS Speed will seem like a gutless wonder...... In the end I have drivers doing well and winning races with all different engines, Picco included.... Once you learn to adapt to the engines characteristics it all balances out...I myself like engines with balls, and I make that very clear to any customers looking for one of my Picco's...

When I modify a Picco I alter several things with the carburetors that make the engine tune much easier... None of my modified Picco's tune hard at all...... I can't speak for a stock Picco, but I know my engines don't have the common tuning issues people associate with Picco

Originally Posted by houston
my point exactly

there is something called useable power
Its all relative to what your used to.... We win plenty of races with the Picco engines, however we do run on a very different surface then the tracks your used to.... Many times up here the softer motors don't have the balls to push a Truggy properly out of the corners, The Picco's do... I have run pretty much every .21 available today and most of them lack the bottom end needed in our conditions......... I could see on a slick hardpack the modded Picco's being too strong, but in any sort of loose loamy surface they work awesome...

All in all anyone looking at one of my modified Picco's is looking for a big gun engine and that is exactly what they are going to get...They are good on fuel, they make awesome power and RPM and are very durable...If your looking for a soft mild motor then look elsewhere at a Nova ,Speed or Sirio , if you want big balls with a attitude then look at these Picco's... I modify plenty of brands with great results, each engine has its own characteristics that I enhance...My OS engines are smooth and rev like crazy on top end, my Go are smoother with a wicked top end, My Sirio is smooth with Wicked top end, My Picco is insane and easilly the most powerful of the bunch..My RBC6 is smooth down low but takes of like Jet in the midrange and has a top end I have not seen from any other offroad .21......
Old 10-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

I would say the last post by Maximo is key PERSPECTIVE is key in everything in life.

I like the Picco power that is what I compare all other motors to. As long as you know what you want then all is good. Every body thinks their motor is best but they almost never phrase it best for me. I usually tell people if they can to watch cars at the track to back up what I say then they can be the judge.

I have motors that will kill my Piccos at top rpm but thats not how I drive.I drive out of corners hard & usually pull almost every body I run with & thats where I make up my time on them as the faster the car is going(top speed) the worse I drive & this I why I like Picco.

As far as Piccos being a tuning nightmare that also is perspective.I can tune my Piccos with no problems & can pre tune in the pits for day to night changes with almost zero problems. When I tried a different brand recently it was a tuning nightmare FOR ME & that motor let me down in a big way.

My perspective is Picco = great price,long life,power where & how I want it & 2 pits in a 20 min main. Thats what I expect,what I get. I do like some of my other brand motors just not as much as what I'm used to,relative to my Piccos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.