Wiki Posts
Search

engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default engine rebuild

just wanna see whats the easiest way to replace the piston,sleeve,rod.what tools,and how ?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

If you are doing all that then you better replace the front and rear engine bearings. TKO ceramics work the best and you will need a bearing puller tool like the one from GRP, thats easiest. Or you can heat the block up in the oven to 250 or so and tap the bearings out, but you will have one hot potato. As for the piston and sleeve, all you need is a med size zip tie and run it through the exhaust port on the back then turn the fly wheel and the sleeve will pop up enough to get it out. take the piston back down enough to get the zip tie out and then take the sleeve out. slide the rod off of the crank and thats it.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Also make sure that before you take off the backplate, verify that the piston is up. Part of the piston sits down in the backplate on most motors and if you pull it with the piston inside it will break off the back of the piston.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what if the rod broke and you cant use that method ?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Mike, pm me any questions you might have and if you want since I am local to you I will take a look at it and try to get you up and running again.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by matrixmike28
Also make sure that before you take off the backplate, verify that the piston is up. Part of the piston sits down in the backplate on most motors and if you pull it with the piston inside it will break off the back of the piston.
Eh?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dadsvtechonda
what if the rod broke and you cant use that method ?
Blowtorch>>>
Old 10-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

send it out !!

chances are that with the rod breaking the sleeve is now out of round , this will make the sleeve very very difficult to get out of the block . it requires cutting out the oblonged part of the sleeve and then removing the sleeve from the block or else you will score the block and it will be unuseable .

or send it out
Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Wouldn't be cheaper to pick up a new motor?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Question about beaings too?

Hello, I was wondering why tko is the main bearing out there. there are tons of bearings like bocca, and so on, and even novarossi bearings with double shields. I don't remember bearings going bad in my motors, but I'm sure it can happen. If I do replace with tko's will I need to replace them more often than the stock nova bearings that are steel? How do you know when they go bad? Any help will be nice, and oh yeah how the heak do you get the little wrist pins out of the piston, those little clips irritate me.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

TKO are not the main bearings out there. Boca Bearings are some of the best and have been around longer than most of the other bearing companies.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

The reason the TKO's are so popular is because of their high quality. They were also the first to bring ceramic bearing technology to R/C engines especially at a reasonable price.

If you don't do normal maintenance on your engines you won't know you have a bad bearing until it's too late. At that point there is an unmistakable noise that comes from your engine, it starts to run hot, won't hold a good idle, fuel mileage goes away and it starts to wear out cranks and rods with undue vibration.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
The reason the TKO's are so popular is because of their high quality. They were also the first to bring ceramic bearing technology to R/C engines especially at a reasonable price.

If you don't do normal maintenance on your engines you won't know you have a bad bearing until it's too late. At that point there is an unmistakable noise that comes from your engine, it starts to run hot, won't hold a good idle, fuel mileage goes away and it starts to wear out cranks and rods with undue vibration.
you're the man jimmy !!!

what he said

hope to have some new things on the horizon at H.E.S.