Wiki Posts
Search

removing glued tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Arrow removing glued tires?

is there anything to use to remove glued tires from wheels without damage?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

acetone works good. So does boiling them. Yes, boil a large pot of water and stick them in there. Takes about 15 minutes to get them to loosen up. Acetone will ruin the foams but works better at getting the old glue off the wheels where the boiling water trick doesn't.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i use the boiling method with good results. u may need to boil them longer then 15 min. just keep boiling them til they come loose. by boiling them u can save everything and reuse. just make sure u use a junk pot. i got a large pot at wal mart for like $10. also u will have to boil one side at a time. the side that is in the water will loosen up, take it out and press the tire off the rim. be caeful it will b hot. i run them under cold water b4 i mess with it. no the glue will not reset in the cold water. then throw the tire back in with the other side in the water and repeat the process.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
i use the boiling method with good results. u may need to boil them longer then 15 min. just keep boiling them til they come loose. by boiling them u can save everything and reuse. just make sure u use a junk pot. i got a large pot at wal mart for like $10. also u will have to boil one side at a time. the side that is in the water will loosen up, take it out and press the tire off the rim. be caeful it will b hot. i run them under cold water b4 i mess with it. no the glue will not reset in the cold water. then throw the tire back in with the other side in the water and repeat the process.
Can I reuse the tire after boiling? I have a new tire on a cracked rim I need to replace the rim. What's the best method to replace a rim and salvage the tire?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
Can I reuse the tire after boiling? I have a new tire on a cracked rim I need to replace the rim. What's the best method to replace a rim and salvage the tire?
Just what he said. I forgot to mention you need to flip the tire. It floats so.....

Boil them and once their off the wheel, clean them up some and your ready to glue them on a different wheel.

When I started racing, I use to try and remove the tires off the wheels. It got to be a major PITA and I would just buy new wheels and tires. Now I have about 100 sets of tires, some still like new, others bald as a babies bottom.

By the way, I don't race anymore so I have all these tires piled in a box. I'll probably toss them in the garbage.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 AM
dja
Tech Initiate

I boiled tires also with good success. Thier were a few spots were the glue didn't quite release from the wheel. It seems to me that the glue releases at 300 degrees and water boils at 230. I was going to use a pressure cooker for my next attempt. This way I could get the wheel and tire closer to 300 degrees. I also reused the foam to get me out of a bind. Worked good enough last season I didn't replace it.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I bake my tires off.
Heat oven to 350. When burner/element shuts off put tires in oven. After about 15 minutes pull them out. Using gloves seperate the tire from the rim. If some areas are still bonded repete procces. Don't know if some of the newer molded foams can handle that much heat but the older cut foams actually come out good as new.

NOTE: If your wing or another plastic part is deformed, you can also place it in the oven and it will return to it's original shape. Boiling them also works.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I use acetone. Works great for me. Cut the tire off the rim, remove foam. Pour a gallon of acetone from the local hardware store into a 5 gallon kitty litter bucket (they have a snap on lid to keep the fumes contained), throw the wheels in (I usually do around 4-6 wheels at a time). Let sit overnight. Pull off "rubber bands" the next day. Wipe wheels clean and be sure to wear gloves unless you like dry hands.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Schafer
I bake my tires off.
Heat oven to 350. When burner/element shuts off put tires in oven. After about 15 minutes pull them out. Using gloves seperate the tire from the rim. If some areas are still bonded repete procces. Don't know if some of the newer molded foams can handle that much heat but the older cut foams actually come out good as new.

NOTE: If your wing or another plastic part is deformed, you can also place it in the oven and it will return to it's original shape. Boiling them also works.
This is what I did with my tires. Line a pan with foil, put the tires in the oven at 350 for 15 min. The side that is up will pop right off. flip the tires and do it again. It will smell up the house for a little while but the tires and wheels will be fine.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

did try the baking method and ended up with ruined foams. so far boiling works for me the best.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Frank L
yes u can reuse the tires, rims and foams. whatever u r trying to save u can reuse then all.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

baking makes your house smells like burned rubber. i like using acetone, just kills the foams.

but i would just buy new ones anways.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Do all of you soak in acetone? Do you buy it in bulk? 1 gallon at Lowes is like $16.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Do all of you soak in acetone? Do you buy it in bulk? 1 gallon at Lowes is like $16.
i don't use acetone. takes too long
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Schafer
I bake my tires off.

+1 I use welding gloves, put them in the freezer when you put the tires in the oven (cool hands). If the tire does not pop of easily just put it back in the oven for a few more min.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.