Wiki Posts
Search

What Clutch Bearings Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

0.5mm is on the "slightly too much" end of the spectrum

End play is just there to offset any thermal dilatation and parasitic movement, really... 0.2mm (ie slightly less than 1/100th of a inch) is pretty much all you should need.

As said earlier, it's as much in the bearings as it's in the clutches themselves

Paul
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
0.5mm is on the "slightly too much" end of the spectrum

End play is just there to offset any thermal dilatation and parasitic movement, really... 0.2mm (ie slightly less than 1/100th of a inch) is pretty much all you should need.

As said earlier, it's as much in the bearings as it's in the clutches themselves

Paul
.4 is what avid recommends...i go usually .3
Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
.4 is what avid recommends...i go usually .3
And you are measuring this how?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I personally use a special, highly accurate, carefully calibrated tool to measure endplay. (I feel for a tiny bit of slop with my fingers.)
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

I just make sure the clutch bell is on the loose side. It's pretty hard to calculate how much the heat will make everything expand, and too tight will smoke bearings. I usually end up with about .5mm I would assume, maybe even a tad more. I was told to do the same thing by a couple pros who have been around the block too..
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I personally use a special, highly accurate, carefully calibrated tool to measure endplay. (I feel for a tiny bit of slop with my fingers.)
food for thought ; the looser(is that a word?) you leave your clutchbell (ie. .5mm is way too much) the more your bearings will walk out of the clutchbell . .1 - .2mm is perfect , i have had cheap as$ low budget .25$ a piece bearings last for a gallon of running and took them out cause i just didn't trust them . i always scuff in my clutch and break it in before actually running on the track also

sometimes the fast guys dont know everything guys
Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by houston

sometimes the fast guys dont know everything guys
Oh true true... But I usually take advise from someone who can make the A main at the ROAR nats almost every year for the last handfull..
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I don't really know how much endplay I am leaving I just leave the smallest amount if it's too tight then I take one shim out and run that. It is prob less than .5 because the shims I am useing are .1, .2, & .3. It's prob between .2 & .3
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by thuren
Oh true true... But I usually take advise from someone who can make the A main at the ROAR nats almost every year for the last handfull..
Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

Well I suppose I should have asked who actually measured their endplay and didn't just guess.

One guys .3 could actually be in reality .5mm or greater. I thought the "rule of thumb" was .4-.5 but I honestly haven't asked that many people.

I use 1 dollar avid bearings and just change them out before they go bad, simply because I've had them go out on me, and had them get stuck on the crank once or twice back in the day too.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by what_stanger?
Well I suppose I should have asked who actually measured their endplay and didn't just guess.

One guys .3 could actually be in reality .5mm or greater. I thought the "rule of thumb" was .4-.5 but I honestly haven't asked that many people.

I use 1 dollar avid bearings and just change them out before they go bad, simply because I've had them go out on me, and had them get stuck on the crank once or twice back in the day too.
shim until its just tight when you put the end cap screw on , then take out the shims that you know what sizes (.1, .2 .3 ) are which . (or just by feel )
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Addict

I run the tko special bearigs with no issues.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by houston
shim until its just tight when you put the end cap screw on , then take out the shims that you know what sizes (.1, .2 .3 ) are which . (or just by feel )
well I measure mine, I was just saying it won't help me out that much because it doesn't seem most people care to measure it.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

I ran Avid Bearings and have never had a prob with them at all. Avid all the way
Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Frank L

I use a .3 shim and make sure i can stuff it in between the shim stack and make sure it can walk up and down....you only need to get the corner of the shim in the stack to get a good idea of where your at......the Kyosho shims make the job almost too easy if you ask me....and its funny how many guys have invested lots of $$ in those Crappy ofna shim kits that come with an assortment of shim's...there's really only 3-4 clutch bell shims in there that you can actually use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.