Search

Locking the flywheel so I can remove the clutch nut on Losi 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Locking the flywheel so I can remove the clutch nut on Losi 2.0

Hello all,

I am slowly working through my disassembly of the Losi 2.0 8ight RTR buggy. I am learning a lot as I go and having fun doing it.

I am now trying to remove the clutch nut so I can remove the flywheel. I bought a flywheel wrench a few days ago expecting to see 4 flywheel posts that I could use with the wrench to restrict the flywheel movement so I could unlock the nut.

Of course the Losi flywheel doesn't have posts so the wrench is useless. I could use a pair of pliers or a lock wrench on the serrated edge of the flywheel, but will undoubtedly damage it if I do.

Are there other things I can use or do to restrict the flywheel movement so I can remove the clutch nut?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just use a regular size tounge and groove pliers. (channel locks)

if you hold it tight and dont let it slip it wont mess up the flywheel. besides the flywheel is going to get messed up on its own. dont worry about a couple little scratches you might put in it
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

the best thing to do is get a Slip-Joint Adjustable Pliers. clamp down on the flywheel, just dont let it slip, it wont damage it at all
Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

they make s piston stop tha threads into the glow plug hole and stops the movent of the piston.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
they make s piston stop tha threads into the glow plug hole and stops the movent of the piston.
Is this the GRP engine tooling kit or something else?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
Hello all,

I am slowly working through my disassembly of the Losi 2.0 8ight RTR buggy. I am learning a lot as I go and having fun doing it.

I am now trying to remove the clutch nut so I can remove the flywheel. I bought a flywheel wrench a few days ago expecting to see 4 flywheel posts that I could use with the wrench to restrict the flywheel movement so I could unlock the nut.

Of course the Losi flywheel doesn't have posts so the wrench is useless. I could use a pair of pliers or a lock wrench on the serrated edge of the flywheel, but will undoubtedly damage it if I do.

Are there other things I can use or do to restrict the flywheel movement so I can remove the clutch nut?

Thanks a lot.
If the flywheel is the same as the pro kit...Use a small Crescent wrench to hold where the square part of the flywheel is and use a 9mm glow plug wrench to remove the nut. Hold the end of the crankshaft against a hard surface. Take the handle of the glowplug wrench and smack the back of the flywheel and it will pop right off. (if you hit it right).
Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

NEVER EVER use a piston locking tool for any reason! They put ALOT of stress on the con rod. Use Channel locks to hold the flywheel while you loosen the nut and a cheap gear puller from Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc. to pull the flywheel off the collet
Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stanton
If the flywheel is the same as the pro kit...Use a small Crescent wrench to hold where the square part of the flywheel is and use a 9mm glow plug wrench to remove the nut. Hold the end of the crankshaft against a hard surface. Take the handle of the glowplug wrench and smack the back of the flywheel and it will pop right off. (if you hit it right).
It sounds like it is the same flywheel as what is on the pro kit. Although it is not perfectly square there may be enough material to get some bite with a crescent wrench.

Okay sounds like I might have a few options.

In terms of the smacking of it using the glowplug wrench, I tend not to have those things work for me very easily. Instead I bought a battery terminal puller to help me remove the flywheel.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

From my engine Modder -

The best tool to use is the dynimte piston lock, its like 10 bucks - take off the back plate and insert the locking tool.you have no chance of stripping the fly wheel or breaking the piston......

And this does not put stress on the conrod, this comes from pro factory team drivers.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Tool-12-21
Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wrap a shop rag around the flywheel, hold it with channel locks, and use a deep socket & ratchet for the clutch nut. I bought a "brake parts puller" from Auto Zone that makes a perfect flywheel puller. It was about 20 bucks and makes pulling the flywheel a breeze.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
From my engine Modder -

The best tool to use is the dynimte piston lock, its like 10 bucks - take off the back plate and insert the locking tool.you have no chance of stripping the fly wheel or breaking the piston......

And this does not put stress on the conrod, this comes from pro factory team drivers.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Tool-12-21

I hade to use this tool a few times but only when needed like when the flywheel itself is loose.Otherwise to remove the nut just use channel locks like mentioned prior
Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stanton
crescent wrench , you can even leave the shoes on
Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

+1 to the crescent wrench. And if the crankshaft slips and the engine turns over, insert a large zip tie folded in half into the exhaust of the engine. Basically making your own piston locker, but without the damage they do.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

I would recomend use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the fly wheel so that it will come off the collet much easier. some times they stick and no matter how hard you smack the fly wheel it wont budge.
good luck, and what motor are you replacing the stock RTR with.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I use channel locks with the wheel wrapped in foam rubber or I use these channel locks from Tamiya with the non-scratch surface on them. They work great but they are pricey.

CLICK HERE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.