Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is a really cool tool
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...lywheel-Pliers
Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

+ 1 what token said but I use the OS piston lock and it works great. I wouldn't use anything else but to remove the flywheel from any engine. It's cheap, SAFE and very easy to do, just remove the back plate slide in the tool and remove the flywheel nut and you done.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
+1 to the crescent wrench. And if the crankshaft slips and the engine turns over, insert a large zip tie folded in half into the exhaust of the engine. Basically making your own piston locker, but without the damage they do.
I use to do this, until I was at the track at a big race here and one of the Team AE Factory Drivers saw what I was dont and yelled WTF are you doing Token. He took the engine from me took it to his pit and use the locking tool i mentioned, I told him well my enging dude said not to use this, and he and a couple other Team AE guys walked over to him and he said no no no - do use the piston locking tool that goes in teh glow plug hole. but these are what you should use

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Tool-12-21
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pliers and a rag is all you need to remove the flywheel. All the other stuff is marketing hipe. Its a simple procedure to say the least.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by token
I use to do this, until I was at the track at a big race here and one of the Team AE Factory Drivers saw what I was dont and yelled WTF are you doing Token. He took the engine from me took it to his pit and use the locking tool i mentioned, I told him well my enging dude said not to use this, and he and a couple other Team AE guys walked over to him and he said no no no - do use the piston locking tool that goes in teh glow plug hole. but these are what you should use

If you want to lock the piston, you can use oil. Just put in the glow plug hole and screw the plug in. That way it distributs the pressure evenly. I don't like using the rod and wrist pin to lock a crank, but it can be done. Wait until you break a piston skirt or puch a hole through the top of a piston. You wont do that again...
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

From my engine Modder -

The best tool to use is the dynimte piston lock, its like 10 bucks - take off the back plate and insert the locking tool.you have no chance of stripping the fly wheel or breaking the piston......

And this does not put stress on the conrod, this comes from pro factory team drivers.

Now thats a nice tool. I'm getting one of those...
Old 07-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
+1 to the crescent wrench. And if the crankshaft slips and the engine turns over, insert a large zip tie folded in half into the exhaust of the engine. Basically making your own piston locker, but without the damage they do.
no no

take out the carb and stick something not metal( i use the end of a toothbrush ) in the intake of the crank

that tool should work great , i just dont like to put any undue stress on any of the components that rotate and play a vital role to the engine running properly
Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Channell locks and a deep socket seem to work fine for me to get the nut off on my 8ight flywheel. But to actually get the flywheel off I put it in the vice with a rag and gently wiggle it off. After reading this thread I'm thinking I need a flywheel puller tool though. Do you guys think the way I'm doing it could damage something?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

channel locks with a peice of cardboard to protect the flywheel works fine for me too. I just tap the back of the flywheel with a screwdriver that has a plastic handle and it pops right off.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i take the cooling headoff and buttom and use 3 small clean fuel tubing and put the buttom head back on

it works 4 me
Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
no no

take out the carb and stick something not metal( i use the end of a toothbrush ) in the intake of the crank

that tool should work great , i just dont like to put any undue stress on any of the components that rotate and play a vital role to the engine running properly
That is the point of using a zip tie. It will break before it puts too much stress on the engine. I only use it to get the nut tight enough to where the flywheel won't rotate on the collet. Then I hold the flywheel with channel locks(if a losi flywheel a creascent wrench) to get it tight. And when removing the nut, I will only use a zip tie after I get it slightly loose(again with the channel locks or wrench). I have never damaged an engine doing it this way for several years.

I like the looks of that tool, but it would be a pain to have to remove the backplate every time you want to change a flywheel out. Especially if you use carb sealant on the backplate. I would not have a problem using one of those tools, but STAY AWAY from the piston lockers that thread into the glow plug hole. They WILL hurt your engine.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Pliers and a rag or cardboard only work when the flywheel is locked on the collet. If the nut has loctite on it or it is just tight and the flywheel comes of the collet the pliers and rag won't work.