Wiki Posts
Search

When to replace bearIngs??!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (67%+)
Default When to replace bearIngs??!

Is there any method to know when bearings need replaced? The ones I'm really curious to know is the wheel bearings, diff, steering post. It's got to be someway to tell rather then just changing them every few gallons.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

i clean and oil my bearings at every tear down, If i roll a bearing on my finger and its rough I replace or once a month, which ever comes first.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

this is one thing that gets me . In the past I would clean lube an
even remove the seals to clean them but think about it the bearing
cost a round $1.00ea to remove it do a good clean an lube reinstall
on one bearing 2min or more each one x 26=52mins Im not saying
every week get new ones but for me if it does not feel good I will
put in a new one come on all this work over a $1 part not to
mention that cleaning bearings sucks
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

replace when they do not spin free or you feel car binding up

tko has some great bearings
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

IMO I would not wait for my car to bind before I change them - I have seen many people say oh I can go one more and 5 minutes into the main - everything freeze
Old 06-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

i check my bearings every week and if they feel rough i replace them, regardless of how much time i have one them...
Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Every 2 hrs of run time I change my bearings (every half hour for clutch) as wekk as my diff and shock oils. If your not racing there's less need to be as anal. My clutch and outdrive bearings tend to wear faster than diff bearings. If your looking to change bearings on an "as needed" basis, I would simply check the clutch and outdrive bearings before you run. If they don't spin smooth as silk, replace.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Also check there isn't too much play between the inner and outer race, compare it to a new one. If there isn't excessive (any more then a new one) play and it rolls smooth and quiet it's fine.

if they spin really free but noisy the grease is gone and they will not last much longer regardless how smooth they feel.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

A total removal & visual inspection of all bearings on a normal schedual is a must if your a racer. When I get a new brand car I check bearings every 3 race days at the least & usually do many bearings more often than that when changing diff fluids & such. I cant even count the times I have seen some ones car or my own acting odd on the track & all the bearings feel good jsut a little dry when you spin the tires or diffs while in the car but upon bearing removal find the balls fall out or one of the races is stuck on or in the car part. When I say visual inspection I mean,bearing out of car & spin on your finger,not seals removed & cleaned. As time goes by you'll learn how often you need to check certian bearings & all cars are not the same. I have cars that bearings last for 4-5 month racing every weekend & one car that got inspected every couple races or it would dnf the next time out.

One last thought while we're talking bearings. The retard that decided the whole industry needed to move to 8X14 outer wheel bearings should be shot in the knee caps.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

i've noticed my bearings have needed less replacing than other 1/8th scales i've raced, i have an RC8T and it seems the dust shields and such keep the dirt out really well. only bearings that i've replaced(have 2.5gallons on the truck) were the clutchbell bearings, twice, all else is still reallly good/like new
Old 06-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

CLUTCH - I dont care how long they "suppose" to last but I use the Proteck dollar bearing for the qualifers and for mains I change to Losi HD bearings. Period.

Each and every Main - I dont check I dont care - I just know I will be damned if I DNS for clutch bearings again
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

how about ceramic bearings, do they last a lot longer? I know they are usually much smoother, and last reallly long in my carpet oval cars, but how about the clutchbell on a 1/8th scale?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by megasaxon
how about ceramic bearings, do they last a lot longer? I know they are usually much smoother, and last reallly long in my carpet oval cars, but how about the clutchbell on a 1/8th scale?
I don't know about others, but I have had no good luck with cermaic bearings, first of all they are pricey and I dont like the up keep and having to clean all the time. When I first got my Losi 8T the owner of the LHS told me to get these $30 bearings, he bragged on how they last for gallons at a time. DNF in my main. not go bro. the problems is between the friction of the gears and hitting almost 300 degrees, the elements are just to great for bearing to last long in a eiffffff scale

I would just stick with the dollar bearing and change them often
Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by token
I don't know about others, but I have had no good luck with cermaic bearings, first of all they are pricey and I dont like the up keep and having to clean all the time. When I first got my Losi 8T the owner of the LHS told me to get these $30 bearings, he bragged on how they last for gallons at a time. DNF in my main. not go bro. the problems is between the friction of the gears and hitting almost 300 degrees, the elements are just to great for bearing to last long in a eiffffff scale

I would just stick with the dollar bearing and change them often
well the cermaic balls in the bearings are supposed to handle heat much better than steel balls. I don't have exact figures atm, but seems it was like 100s of degrees more they could handle?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

LOL i will use protek as long as they make the right sizes for whatever i need ...ive been using their clutch bearings for over 2 seasons in 8th scale offroad and have been more then just impressed...for less then a buck man they rock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.