Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX6 pinion gear scraping the diff case

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default MBX6 pinion gear scraping the diff case

Anyone else had a problem with the pinion gear scraping the diff housing? The diff is shimmed properly, so I can't figure out why this is happening. (Both front and rear).

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Diff housing or diff cup? If its the cup did you squeeze the pinion & CV joint together when you tightened the set screw? The pinion should not be able to move back & forth in the bearings but not so tight it puts a constant side load on the bearings. If its the diff housing also called bulkhead then I have no idea.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default check screws

Originally Posted by glolar
Anyone else had a problem with the pinion gear scraping the diff housing? The diff is shimmed properly, so I can't figure out why this is happening. (Both front and rear).

Thanks in advance!
hi mate, building my front diff i and then covering the bulk head. i broke the car in but failed to notice the screw in the bulkhead/ diff housing came slightly loose.

when i checked the front diff, there was some scratch as u described.

when the diff housing is loose , i think that will happen
Old 06-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this was one problem i did have. No matter how much i shimmed or tighted the bevel and joint cup together the teeth of the bevel would dig in the diff cup. Actually that's not true. I did not have it shimmed right, then finally got the right shimming but the plastic pieces were still stuck in the conical gear. So i had to dremmel off that part of the diff cup. And at first i had the problem of the conical hitting the housing too.

The best answer??? Sand the shit out of all diff cups and housing's before assembly. THis will save you mucho headaches

oh this only happened on my front diff BTW.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

The black diff housing, not the diff cup. The bevel (pinion?) gear should not be touching the diff housing. Anyone else had this problem, and have a fix, other than dremeling two grooves all the way around the diff housing???

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I just put together my mbx6t diffs and put them in the bulkheads and both front and rear are rubbing inside the bulkhead I'm not sure where they are rubbing I haven't had time to work on them again
Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The ring gear only fits one way in the housings :they are notched for clearance. They WILL rub if you have the ring gear on the wrong side.