Wiki Posts
Search

air filter oiling rules?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default air filter oiling rules?

I have been oiling all my filters pretty good. Maybe too much. Is there any "general rules" when it comes to oiling your filter? For dusy tracks, hummid air etc. How much can oil saturation effect performance? I would guess don't put to much oil? Do you want as little or as much as possible?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The more protection your engine has the better, however that does not mean saturate your filter, yu dont want oil getting in your engine. best way is to make sure your inner and outer filter are clean and dry good, then liberally spread oil on them and work it in good, then squeeze them good inside a paper towel to get all the excess oil off/out..If its really dusty you can wrap it in Vet-wrap which is a sticky self adhesive ace bandage, that will give you 3 layers of protection, so you can feel fresh and lively all day
Old 06-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

i already do all of that. I put 5 filters in a ziplock and put some oil (not much) and sqeeze it into a ball pretty much as hard as i can. And they look like brand new pre oiled filters. I just thought there might be something majic about track conditions. Guess not I change them every time i refuel.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by dreaux
I change them every time i refuel.
That's way overkill. If you change them every 8-10 minutes of runtime, you are wasting about 50 minutes of good filter use. Every hour is all thats needed, and if you do a real good job of oiling and wrapping you can go 2 hours. if its covered in mud, then you should change it..Keep an eye on the outer filter thats a good indication of when you need to swap em
Old 06-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
That's way overkill. If you change them every 8-10 minutes of runtime, you are wasting about 50 minutes of good filter use. Every hour is all thats needed, and if you do a real good job of oiling and wrapping you can go 2 hours. if its covered in mud, then you should change it..Keep an eye on the outer filter thats a good indication of when you need to swap em
yeah it's waaaayyyyy dusty today, so they were basically covered. Couldn/'t you just change the outer filter. THe inner one is always clean. Probably not a good idea
Old 06-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Lord

sure you can, but your better off using the vet-wrap, then you can just change that. the fact that its a little tacky also stops allot of dust from even getting to the outer filter
Old 06-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

I buy filters in a 24 pack & change the outer filter only evry time my car comes off the track.That does not mean every 5 min it means about every 15 of run time during practice & after every heat. If you can go 2 hours without clogging a filter you need to take your car off the parking lot & put it on the dirt. Changing the outer oiled filter often means you dont change the inner as often & that means less chance of dropping dirt down the carb. Air filter oil does not work on the princable of high volume of oil it works on the oil thickening up & becoming sticky as the carrier evaporates so saturating the foam & getting all the excess out with a paper towle works fine.Some track are dusty as hell & some drivers tend to end up in the fluff built up in the corners & floor it to get out causing a big dust storm inside the body. Look at your outer filter as a judge,if you cant see the filter just the dirt caked to it you waited too long.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

I have been oiling all my filters pretty good. Maybe too much. Is there any "general rules" when it comes to oiling your filter? For dusy tracks, hummid air etc. How much can oil saturation effect performance? I would guess don't put to much oil? Do you want as little or as much as possible?
Man it seems like I post this same thing about every week.... Here we go again!

Ok, so you should defiantly oil both layers of your filter with oil, dont listen to anyone who tells you differently.

If you have problems with dirt getting in at the ends of the filter, or you have dirt sticking to the oiled outer filter causing caking, run one of these. They are thin cheap dry layer covers you can get on ebay for about $6.00. They are washable/re-usable. Also if you do a search you will fin many topics here discussing filter preparation and proper use.

Here is the link where you can find them, or search Nitro Filter Cover. They are kind of hard to find but worth every penny.

Filter Covers

Here is a pic of how they go together:

Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I change my filter after every race day or practice day. I always use a new inner and outer filter and I re-oil the pre-oiled filter by adding oil to the filter and squeezing it out then put it in a paper towel and squeeze it again. If you change your filter before the main your engine tune will change and that can throw off your main. I have never had a problem with this technique and I see no need to reuse filters, they never come all the way clean back to white and that means there is dirt inside the filter. Why take a chance on a $300-$500 engine on a $2 reused filter. Consistency is the key.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I change my filter after evey race day....Some days there not bad and I can wash and resuse them.(I use kyosho filters there pricey I would reuse other brands filters) If there real bad I throw them away..One thing I do NOT do is change my air filter at the track.....I don`t agreew ith chaning my air filter in the pits .With all the dust flying around thats not a good idea..If it does get bad and I need to change my filter at the track I will clean my engine/car and go into my truck or the shop and change it there.....some where other than a dusty area.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I thought I would throw this in here. I learned this from a friend to take gasket sealer on the ends of the filter to help make a better seal also from all my years of riding dirt bike I uses Honda lube on the filter and it works great no dirt in the motor and can run the filter a little longer than norm.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Gasket sealer sounds a little extreame for the filter ends,most people use grease there.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

i change mine when its dirty. an ofna bottle of oil does about 25 losi inner and outer applications onto a dry&clean filter
Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm now also using the filter covers talked about earlier, and it makes my filters last way longer now. I used replace my filters after every race day as well, but now that they stay so much cleaner I can wash them and they look just as good as new. Now I replace them after every 3 race days.