R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Starting Help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/307520-starting-help.html)

Cory Kerber 06-26-2009 10:43 AM

Starting Help

I can get my Novarossi to start first try, but when i go to give it throttle it just stalls. The engine runs at a high idle, then shuts off when i give it throttle. It won't start up again until i drain the fuel from the motor. So that means it's rich. But what should i go about doing to fix this? I know the basic tuning, but this is new to me. Adjusting the idle gap doesn't help. My fuel is a few months old, Could this be the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

pyromania 06-26-2009 10:47 AM

Are you heating up the engine?

Cory Kerber 06-26-2009 10:47 AM

No

pyromania 06-26-2009 10:50 AM

Wait, lets start over. Are you breaking in your engine?

Cory Kerber 06-26-2009 10:54 AM

No it's already been broken in. It hasn't been ran for a while.

losi_racer 06-26-2009 10:56 AM

sounds like a glow plug to me

Cory Kerber 06-26-2009 11:06 AM

I've replaced the plug. The pipe drains tons of fuel. Sometimes when i get it idling, it will just cut off. But then other times when i ease into the throttle it will cut off.

Cory Kerber 06-26-2009 11:23 AM

Could bad/old nitro be the problem?

Chris__RC 06-26-2009 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber (Post 5989033)
I've replaced the plug. The pipe drains tons of fuel. Sometimes when i get it idling, it will just cut off. But then other times when i ease into the throttle it will cut off.

You say it is rich, why don't you lean the LSN?

sickmojave 06-26-2009 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber (Post 5989084)
Could bad/old nitro be the problem?

Yes :nod:

Cory Kerber 06-26-2009 12:00 PM

The nitro i've got is probably 6 months old Byrons Gen 2. It sat in my shop over the winter. I guess i'm an idiot now :blush:

Also i think i've overtuned, because now i can't even get my engine to fire. I've got to find the stock needle settings and go from there.

Chris__RC 06-26-2009 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber (Post 5989184)
The nitro i've got is probably 6 months old Byrons Gen 2. It sat in my shop over the winter. I guess i'm an idiot now :blush:

Also i think i've overtuned, because now i can't even get my engine to fire. I've got to find the stock needle settings and go from there.

That fuel is still good. What nitro and oil percentage? Nitro can last a year or 2 sitting in a cool environment.

Heat the engine up to 200 degrees with a heat gun or hair dryer and it should start easily.

Cory Kerber 06-26-2009 12:05 PM

It's 30% Gen 2 You don't think the alernating temps in my shop could have harmed it? It was anywhere from 30-100 degress in there. It doesn't have the "carbenation" that it use too.

I've got to figure out factory settings, before i try starting it again.

token 06-26-2009 12:07 PM

Dude - go back to fqactory settings and start from there- it sounds like your are really fat on top and bottom. its idling high because its not enough fuel being burnt off and its shutting off because the top is dumping to much fuel in while the carb is open. "make sense"

Go back to factory (including the idle needle)

When you tune make sure you are only going in 1 hour increments

high idle should not be a glow plug issue - its all in the tune

When you lean the low end needle it increases the idle and richening lowers the idle and your right its nothing the idle will do.

Hope this helps!

Oh I keep my fuel in my shed over the winter and never had bad nitro it always come back to tuning

Cory Kerber 06-26-2009 12:39 PM

Token, Your suggestion was just a minute late! I didn't read you post, but I did exactly what you mentioned, and it worked! I'm so stoked right now. It's still running a little fat, but it's fast as hell!! This is my first 1/8 and i'm in love already. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but the problem is solved! Now to get some practice before the race tomorrow.

BTW I'm running at a rich 205 degrees. :D