Community
Wiki Posts
Search

vspec unbeatable?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Having run RB's, Nova's, Sirio's, and OS motors I've come to the conclusion that most of these brands all have great motors. Each track and driver is a little different so what's best for one, might not be the best for another. Bottom line is if you do decide to spend money on a motor, buying one from a well known company usually helps with consistancy from one motor to another. Every company has lemons, but for the most part if you buy a motor from any of the above companies you should be fine. Unless you're top level performer, I don't think you'll fully use your motor to it's potential. I know I'm not, but for alot of racers I see buying all these high end motors, it doesn't make them faster.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Ive got to tell you guy's, ive had nothing but good luck on both my v-specs, just rebuilt one of them, and man the power is so liniar. V-spec is the way to go.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Frank L
I have been trying out different engines in my 8T 2.0 and I must say that the OS speed that I am running now is a real nice engine. It tunes easy and runs and runs and runs. I only have about a gallon through it but so far I like it best from GRP .21, tuned, non tuned, modded and a GRP .28. If I need to try a different engine my next choice will either be a ninja or a nova toro. But so far the vspec is perfect.
Have to agree as used to be an O.S hater as had 1x a few yrs ago and it didnt last 5x minutes
The newer ones are fantastic and have just put a Dynamite 053 with mine in buggy and it has really to much bottom end and mad top end..very similar feel when I ran it with the 2060 pipe.
Best to change bearings early on with ceramics and do the rod and they will go and go.Fuel economy is fantastic once you get a few litres under them and I typically have half a tank left in buggy after a 5x minute qualifier
cant go wrong with them.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Tech Regular

The OS V spec is unbeatable no doubt. There have been many engine manufactures in past and currently developing 3 port engines non so far have come close, NR put out a 3 port to compete so did Siro and other brands. The other 3 port offer great if not better bottom end but lack top end.

The V spec on the other hand has all the advantages great bottom end, great mid and excellent top end and awesome carb + great fuel millage.
The Vspec is also the only engine that you don't need to purchase multiple pipe and glow plugs.

OS P3 Plugs
OS WC 2060 pipe
Fuel of choice

That's it, ready to run on any track with excellent fuel millage.

The NR engines on the other need 4XXX header and XXXX pipes to make fuel millage and power and Different plugs. Some folks have stated that the NR Plus 4 range of engines offer better bottom end then Vspec but still lack the top end that they need.

I was speaking to a fellow racer who owns a hobby shop, he has sold hundreds of Vspec he stated that what he found from Gen 1 to Gen 5 Vspec is that they all like to have some castor in the fuel and don't really like to run past 125 degree Celsius/257 degree Fahrenheit.

Vspec Nuff Respect.

Last edited by Jesussaves; 06-10-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Get a stock V-spec and get it EB MODDED than you have increased horsepower and even longer runtime.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I will start by first saying I have been trying different motors for the past year and a half. Prior to this 18 month stretch I had been running vspec's. Well many motors later and after many gallons of fuel I am back with OS motors. They are just hard to beat as far as power output, mileage, simple tuning, and reliability. I also like the fact that a vspec runs great in a truck or buggy and only one pipe is required. Bottom line a great motor and you cant go wrong.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

OS has historically made engines with great power delivery for offroad. Really the only Vspec issue I have heard of or seen is the occasional bad bearing or cracked crankcase.

It is hard to beat for having a lot of controllable power. The Plus4 feels weaker to me than a Vspec. The Jammin Picco is more wild on the power delivery with worse fuel mileage, but it is the only engine I would run other than an OS. The new O'Donnell engine may be worth looking into also when it becomes available.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Rookie

well thanks for all the feedback guys after reading all the comments im pretty sure im just gonna bite the bullet and be like every one else and get a OS lol nahh i know that they are good engines but i just wanted too see if anything could compete but is seems os got it right with this one ill be gettn the vspec very soon
thanks again
JOHN
Old 06-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If you want to save a few $ but still have excellent mills for buggy Go Tech 3 or 7 port race, 3 port with 086 and the 7 with an 053. For truggy the .21 5 port race w/086, or if you want huge power the .25 6 port race/086. Now if you want to spend a few more $ for buggy EBM5FM and for truggy EBM5RP both with Dynamite 086.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malcnz
Have to agree as used to be an O.S hater as had 1x a few yrs ago and it didnt last 5x minutes
The newer ones are fantastic and have just put a Dynamite 053 with mine in buggy and it has really to much bottom end and mad top end..very similar feel when I ran it with the 2060 pipe.
Best to change bearings early on with ceramics and do the rod and they will go and go.Fuel economy is fantastic once you get a few litres under them and I typically have half a tank left in buggy after a 5x minute qualifier
cant go wrong with them.
Put the 053 on the shelf and install a Mugen 2042 pipe (this is an OS 2060 copy) a Mugen L shaped header and installed an EB mods head button and you will never want for more power or torque again. All I can say is wow this engine with this combo puts all engines I have seen to shame. It has tons or torque, smooth controllable power and gobs of horsepower. I recently tried out a modded GRP .28 and that engine was insane but really ate through the gas. The speed with this pipe, header and head button combo comes very close to a .28. I think my search for the magic combo in my 8T 2.0 is over the OS as described above is perfect. I dont need or want any more engine. Ohh yea I'm using a 6.5 restrictor and getting an easy 10 mins.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Strange as I had a 2060 pipe on my vspec in buggy and was amazing and thats now on the speed in truggy .
Put a 2050 pipe on vspec and was ok but not fantastic so put an 053 Dynamite on vspec and its back to feeling like the origional 2060...loads of top and bottom end and great fuel economy.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

a vspec is completely beatable by lots of engines. they are very good but ive noticed they sound alot faster then they really are. lots are as fast, they just dont make you think you are doing as much. even my rb s5 keeps up with vspec's all day and my driving is nothing special. if you can keep certain engines in there powerband ( like a werks b7) you will have no problem pulling a vspec. there are alot of good choices vspec included, thats all im saying.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

I have run Nova, RB, Vspec, EB Vspec, Max power, and GRP engines...they are all good...it just depends on what you are looking for in an engine. The Vspec does have great bottom end, with a good mid and top, they tune easy (the easiest imo), and get great mileage. I do think they are the standard by which other engines are judged (espcially now with the trend to 10 minute run times) They are Hard to beat, especially at the current prices. Longevity his an issue imo (but at the current prices, I am alright with 4-5 gallons on a vspec and then get another one) - they will not last as long as a Nova/RB engine.....(OS Speed's with the coated crank and the current OS based Ninja seem to far outlast a regular vspec). I ran a EB Modded Vpec with 2050 pipe in my truggy last year and it worked very well on our medium sized tracks. I am back to Nova now, but am picking up a Speed or Ninja this week. Go with what you can get easily and what you feel comfortable with tuning wise (nova's do tune different to me then OS based motors). Run the correct pipe with whatever mill you choose, as that will make or break a motor (IMO vspec = 2050 or 2060 pipe..)
Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dandrat
a vspec is completely beatable by lots of engines. they are very good but ive noticed they sound alot faster then they really are. lots are as fast, they just dont make you think you are doing as much. even my rb s5 keeps up with vspec's all day and my driving is nothing special. if you can keep certain engines in there powerband ( like a werks b7) you will have no problem pulling a vspec. there are alot of good choices vspec included, thats all im saying.
I guess there were no B7's at the track today, because on the heads up start from an elevated berm all cars side by side. My OS speed easily out pulled all the GRP's, NOVA's, Trinity's and whatever else was in the bunch. I mean after the quad jump and the huge front straight I was easily 2-3 lengths ahead. This happened at both qualifiers and in the main. They were all run heads up style like this. Now if I could just keep all 4 wheels on the ground maybe I could win. I will take the 3rd place I got today any day, smile and be proud.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtsum
I have run Nova, RB, Vspec, EB Vspec, Max power, and GRP engines...they are all good...it just depends on what you are looking for in an engine. The Vspec does have great bottom end, with a good mid and top, they tune easy (the easiest imo), and get great mileage. I do think they are the standard by which other engines are judged (espcially now with the trend to 10 minute run times) They are Hard to beat, especially at the current prices. Longevity his an issue imo (but at the current prices, I am alright with 4-5 gallons on a vspec and then get another one) - they will not last as long as a Nova/RB engine.....(OS Speed's with the coated crank and the current OS based Ninja seem to far outlast a regular vspec). I ran a EB Modded Vpec with 2050 pipe in my truggy last year and it worked very well on our medium sized tracks. I am back to Nova now, but am picking up a Speed or Ninja this week. Go with what you can get easily and what you feel comfortable with tuning wise (nova's do tune different to me then OS based motors). Run the correct pipe with whatever mill you choose, as that will make or break a motor (IMO vspec = 2050 or 2060 pipe..)
If you can only get 4-5 gallons out of a standard v-spec you are definately doing something wrong. Mine has 9 gallons on it running strong. Only changed the bearings and rod. To me that is excellent life. I have also seen several go 12+ gallons running perfectly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.