Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ideas on getting stripped set screw in hub out of losi 8? >

Ideas on getting stripped set screw in hub out of losi 8?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas on getting stripped set screw in hub out of losi 8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default Ideas on getting stripped set screw in hub out of losi 8?

I was putting new hubs on last night, and the last one was so tight from the factory The head stripped out. Now I have 3 gold hubs and one blue.... Any ideas other than buying a new hub carrier?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Did you try heating it up with a micro torch? That may free the loctite enough for you to backout setscrew far enough for hub removal, if not you will need to purchase new hubs and hub carriers
Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

I was afraid of that. I tried heating with a lighter but not a mini torch. i can stil get good bite with one wrench, so I'll try a torch tonight.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Just heat the metal and you might still run the hub. The only other thing you can do is drill and try a very small easy out but that may run the assembly too. I have always wondered what to do when this happens. Make sure you use ugh quality tools. I purchased a new set of proline tools and they are not going t hold up the 1/16 already strips out the clutch shoe screws.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yeah, I heard that Frank, you NEED good tools in this hobby/sport. If you got coin, Hudy no doubt all the way........I however am using the TTR tools and love them, they are very good!!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You could also try to drive the pin out with a punch and hammer. Once it starts to come out then you can press it through with a pin that is slightly smaller in diameter using channel lock plyers.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by kevinmajor
You could also try to drive the pin out with a punch and hammer. Once it starts to come out then you can press it through with a pin that is slightly smaller in diameter using channel lock plyers.
If there is a decent amount of torque on the setscrew, and you add loctite onto the already tough variable he is dealing with......Its highly unlikely he will even get the pin to move without relieveing some pressure off the hex pin first.

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 04-09-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
If there is a decent amount of torque on the setscrew, and you add loctite onto the already tough variable he is dealing with......Its highly unlikely he will even get the pin to move with relieveing some pressure off the hex pin first.
Yeah it is tight guys.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would try two things..first I would go for the Punch out the pin method..you need to put the hub in a vise then use a smaller pin and whack it good with a hammer. I would think the force would break the grip that the set screw has on it..If that does not work I would take a dremel to it, and carefully cut off the hub..you should be able to save everything else
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Heat it up with a torch, then pour cold water on the screw. Works everytime.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

As mentioned above, you can knock it out with a hammer and punch even if the screw is tight. You have to have the hex resting on something solid like a large vice with a small gap for the pin. Also use a good punch, not another pin/screw/nail etc.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hammer n' punch to drive the pin out then drill out the grub screw....

has worked for me
Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

They make reverse drill bits. When you drill counter clock-wise the bits byte. These can be used to remove stripped screws. It is a tedious difficult task but it can be done. Also, like was mentioned, heat that baby up and burn off all the crud that is keeping that thing tight.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NitroAmmo
Heat it up with a torch, then pour cold water on the screw. Works everytime.
Sounds like a good tip. Not sure how you poor cold water on JUST the screw, but if you can that might work! Immediate problem is that aluminum hub will cool down way faster then that steel set screw =(
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

quality drift punch , a vice and some skill

i have seen this a few times around the pits , for the most part everybody just gets new cause it was probably time to replace anyway
i would definitely try micro torch(mini butane torch lighter) or something along those lines if it is worth it to save parts .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.