Wiki Posts
Search

What really kills an engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What really kills an engine

I was just thinking after reading losi's claim about the new 8t2.0 body helping the engine run cooler, doe the temperature kill the enigne or is it the lack of lubrication, i know they go hand in hand in a way, but when you say that just allowing more air to run over the engine head will cool it, meaning you can lean it out more, will it not just wear out faster, because of the lack of lubrication?
just something i was thinking???
Old 01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Personally, I think there are two ways to kill an engine. One is not running it hot enough and eating the pinch. The other is running it too hot and not letting it have enough lubrication. I think there is an optimal temp to run these engines that lets the pinch open up and still gives it lube.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think dirt is the primary engine killer in off-road.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mracer
Personally, I think there are two ways to kill an engine. One is not running it hot enough and eating the pinch. The other is running it too hot and not letting it have enough lubrication. I think there is an optimal temp to run these engines that lets the pinch open up and still gives it lube.
+1 and not maintaining it. by maintaining I mean changing bearings and rod when needed as well as after-run/storage maintinance.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by windellmc
That can also be a factor but if you use a good air filter and clean it dirt shouldn't be a problem. I have had 2 engines blow up(not just wear out) and that was because of bearings. one of those things I learned from and now put ceramics in all my engines right after break-in.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I know dirt is the primary engine killer in off-road.
+100
Old 01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

there are so many variables that kill an engine thats why it is very important to keep your engine in tip top shape , keep a very clean and well sealed air filter system , do not run too cool or too hot and use a high quality fuel such as byrons with at least 11% oil for regular everyday running and lowest of 9% for those "i gotta go faster!" race days
happy motorin',
monty
Old 01-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

When you say bearings are you refering to the clutch bearings. How often should you replace the bearings for maintaining wise??????
Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

+101

Dirt is probably the number 1 engine killer.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

when he says bearings he is referring to the bearings in the motor... such as the front bearing and the rear bearing..
Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
When you say bearings are you refering to the clutch bearings. How often should you replace the bearings for maintaining wise??????
Dont worry about it with the Macstar Dish, that engine will be shot long before the bearings need replacement
Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shipwama
I was just thinking after reading losi's claim about the new 8t2.0 body helping the engine run cooler, doe the temperature kill the enigne or is it the lack of lubrication, i know they go hand in hand in a way, but when you say that just allowing more air to run over the engine head will cool it, meaning you can lean it out more, will it not just wear out faster, because of the lack of lubrication?
just something i was thinking???
like everyone has said to this point... a number of different things can shorten an engine's life. Running an engine too cold or too lean during initial break-in will both put excess strain on the rod and pin. Engines with cast rods sometimes shatter the rod because of this. And you're correct that over time, too lean of a needle will cause excess wear on the sleeve and potentially cause the piston to seize in the sleeve.

The way you should read Losi's claim on the body is you can run a leaner needle provided you run a fuel with high oil content (12%-15%) OR you can run a higher nitro percentage on a regular setting -if compression & oil % are constant the higher nitro will make the engine run hotter
Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Improper or no break-in and running too lean are the most common causes for engine failure I see.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Improper tuning, and dirt................oh, and fire
Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Dirt, Dirt, too hot and lean, mostly what most people have said but mainly dirt. I run my motors an average temp 220-250 deg. usually an 11 % oil content fuel. My son runs his motors for max power and fuel mileage and less oil content fuel for better runtime. (yeah he's much faster than me) Doesn't matter what brand motor we are running, his shows more sign of wear than mine. If you want your motors to last you can't push them, and keep up on the filter maint. I have seen a few rear bearings go out and the pieces of bearings go through the motor and scratch the sleeve. If I run a double sealed front bearing I like to pull it out every gallon or so and pull the seals and clean it and regrease it. They do not flush clean like a one seal bearing but the dirt doesn't go into the motor either.
Or you could just get a body that looks like a Catfish and your motors will last longer too.

Rex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.