Wiki Posts
Search

OS .28 X-Dyno tested stock Vs Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default OS .28 X-Dyno tested stock Vs Mod

This test was done on 30% Losi Nitrotane fuel with a OS P3 plug. A 86 pipeset was used for both tests. This is a stock OS .28 layed over an AB Mods Drag Modified OS .28.

I would like to give alot of props to my AB Mods Team Member/Driver "Michel Goulet" better known on the forums as "Over-Revo" for doin SO much in field/car testing! With his feedback and testing of this engine to insure that it can be bashed HARD and all day long at this power level... yet still be a reliable engine thats easy to tune and operate was very valuable!! The AB Mods team greatly appreciates his hard work, feedback and in car testing!

This engine is not for heat/track racing. This engine is geared twards the drag racer or the basher that wants an all out powerful mill that will be reliable and keep a tune! For heat racing I suggest a stage 2 modification on this mill.

Here are the results from the dyno testing today on the OS .28XZ.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wholy Sh** that thing could push around my REAL car! anyone know fuel economy on this BEAST?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Looks like some good numbers. Brian at Pro Twister Mods just did my buds 28...and it is absolutely insane!!! Funny thing was it still got 10 min. of run time in a truggy. Gotta Love the Dyno now, real numbers is good.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

I ran one on my rc8 Holy shik that thing was fun.I could almost make a 15 min. main with 1 pit I was thinking for club racing ... qualify with the .28xz and once you tq switch it out to the .21 grp i mean you will be starting in pole spot right.... its all down hill from there.Mine was not moded and the power was insane.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

those are some big numbers
Old 12-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Awesome as usual from AB Mods
Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

Thx Adam!

The engine really put out on the dyno what it felt in the car
More linear powerband with unreal power!

The runtime was not that bad considering the power you have on the trigger

But as Adam said, its more for basher or drag racing
...or to impress your friends lol

Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

I'd be interested in your qualifications as someone who offers engine modifications for a price. How long have you been racing? How long have you been working on nitro engines with your business? What are the SPECIFIC mods you do to a particular engine? I don't necessarily trust the results from that dyno - I think it's very inaccurate, but that's another topic. Just curoius to know what you bring to the table before sending you an engine and cash to grind on it.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Heres a video of that engine when tested in the Ofna DM1 1/7 pro

You can see it stock versus the drag mod.

http://www.abmods.com/videos/abmodsdragmodOS28_0001.wmv
Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I got the bug to get a truggy and start racing again. I have this motor and read this thread. What mod would you do to this motor.

I mean it's stated that the drag mod may not be the best way to go. Why?

I think that I am going to end up getting a vz-b have to figure out aluminum or magnesium.

for the time being I am running a stock AE pipe and header, would an os 2060 make a big difference?

If this post doesn't receive an answer I'll ask it in it's own thread.

Any help would be great, I am a new to the nitro thing and it's been 14 years since I was racing electric trucks. Things have changed!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Addict

A drag mod is not for heat racing as its not going to get the best fuel milage. The timing profiles on this engine are very aggressive.... it makes alot of power that way... Too much power for racing on a dirt track thats for sure. For heat racing I would suggest a good .21 such as the VZB you mentioned and throw one of my stage 2 mods on it. That way you geta nice performance increase to have that edge over the competition and keep your fuel milage while doing so.

The 2060 pipe is a great match for the Vspec. It gets good milage and makes a nice smooth powerband.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Maybe I'm getting lucky but I'm getting close to 15 min run times. I know that I am going to have to get a .21 at some point, but why don't you think that it wlll be good in heat races?

Is it possible to send it to ABmods(is this you) and get some increased fuel efficiency and power?

I am going to change my clutch bell to a 15 tooth and run the 54 spur that came with my RC8t.

right now I think it's topping at around 45mph but it gets there really fast.

Since you know motors what about the os vzb II world 08/09 motor. Can that motor be sent out and improved, or is it already built to top efficiency?

or are there cheaper motors out there that can be modified to run better. I guess the big question in your opinion what's the best engine + mod out there.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DrRobert
Maybe I'm getting lucky but I'm getting close to 15 min run times. I know that I am going to have to get a .21 at some point, but why don't you think that it wlll be good in heat races?

Is it possible to send it to ABmods(is this you) and get some increased fuel efficiency and power?

I am going to change my clutch bell to a 15 tooth and run the 54 spur that came with my RC8t.

right now I think it's topping at around 45mph but it gets there really fast.

Since you know motors what about the os vzb II world 08/09 motor. Can that motor be sent out and improved, or is it already built to top efficiency?

or are there cheaper motors out there that can be modified to run better. I guess the big question in your opinion what's the best engine + mod out there.
Yes this is me, Adam Blevins from AB Mods. This particular modification "Drag Mod" on the OS .28 is not for heat racing. You can send the engine in and get a Stage 2 Race mod and get exactly what your looking for. Increased power and efficiency! But a drag mod is for those that want an all out bashing engine or an engine for the 132Ft drags.... And these engines don't get as good as fuel mileage on the track for heat racing.

The new Speed VZBs can without a doubt be sent in for improvement! I do A LOT of Vspecs and have alot of R&D wrapped up in these engines.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcg33k
I'd be interested in your qualifications as someone who offers engine modifications for a price. How long have you been racing? How long have you been working on nitro engines with your business? What are the SPECIFIC mods you do to a particular engine? I don't necessarily trust the results from that dyno - I think it's very inaccurate, but that's another topic. Just curoius to know what you bring to the table before sending you an engine and cash to grind on it.
LOL srsly?