Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Newbie question: What are the highest quality manufacturers? >

Newbie question: What are the highest quality manufacturers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie question: What are the highest quality manufacturers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie question: What are the highest quality manufacturers?

Guys - I am new to this sport. I am looking to buy a high quality 1/8 scale nitro off-road vehicle for my 10-year old son for Christmas. I am trying to quickly sort through the manufacturers in order to determine the pros and cons of each. I want a fast, high-quality, durable vehicle. Ideally, I would like to get something that can scream around the neighborhood on the street, as well as fly around on grass and moderate off-road terrain.

I welcome all of your opinions and suggestions! If you recommend a brand, please state WHY.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Well, are you looking for a 1/8 monster truck, truggy, or buggy? That's a difference right there.

Also, I would say that there is a difference between "high-quality" and "durable". A high-quality vehicle to me is an XRAY or Kyosho that has very good parts fitment and uses very good materials. That being said, I don't think you want to drop $600-1000 on a 1/8 buggy for a 10-year-old. I would tend to think you really mean durable, which is a different sort of ballgame.

For a 10-year old who just wants to have fun, I would look into the monster trucks made by Traxxas or HPI. Both are well-known, respectable companies that make good, durable cars. Also, parts support at any hobby shop is going to be excellent, especially with the Traxxas cars. Both companies have a good reputation and have been making cars for a long time. Specifically, look at the HPI Savage series and the Traxxas T-Maxx or Revos.

The trucks listed above are bulletproof, easy to find parts for, and ideal for beginners getting into the hobby. Plus they will be loud, big, and super fun for a 10-year old. All those trucks can break the 40+ mph mark as well, which is plenty fast for your son.

Hope that answers your question!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbossert
Guys - I am new to this sport. I am looking to buy a high quality 1/8 scale nitro off-road vehicle for my 10-year old son for Christmas. I am trying to quickly sort through the manufacturers in order to determine the pros and cons of each. I want a fast, high-quality, durable vehicle. Ideally, I would like to get something that can scream around the neighborhood on the street, as well as fly around on grass and moderate off-road terrain.

I welcome all of your opinions and suggestions! If you recommend a brand, please state WHY.
Sounds like the Traxxas Jato will work perfect for you and your son. No experience necessary. Has a Push button starter. Works great in the street, Ok in the grass, not so great, but still fun in the dirt. Cheep, can hit 60+ MPH, parts available everywhere. Quality and durability is OK, but at 60 MPH, nothing will be indestructible
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Pauly has great advice there. You REALLY have to ask yourself what is this going to be used for. If you have Racing in mind, then you will want to look at the race quality kits. They are a bit spendy, but if thats what your looking to do, ya gunna have to spend the money.

If your lookiing to bash around, then the recommendations Pauly suggest are fine choices.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Rookie

WOW. Thank you. This is exactly the kind of information that I was hoping for. You are correct, durability is really what I am looking for. "Bulletproof" as you describe it sounds fantastic. Of course, I realize that things will break. Fortunately, we have a hobby shop very close that sells Traxxas. I am not sure if they sell HPI.

Big, loud, super-fun and durable are all what I am looking for. Thank you for the tips!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Lord

PS, Its for your son!!! Let him play with it
Old 11-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

I'd say that if your looking for an offroad racing buggy go with the 8ight 2.0 for Losi, it's an awesome buggy and really easy to drive

if your looking for a backyard basher go with a Traxxas Jato or something fast and easy as a ready to run

All I have to say, don't waste the money on something that's not gonna be used to the fullest

I've been racing since I was 7 or 8 and now I'm 16, it'll keep the kids out of trouble
Old 11-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Jato's are only 1/10 scale though, and he is looking for a 1/8 scale nitro. Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with any of the Traxxas lineup.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

The LOSI LST2 is also a great monster truck, the savage is a real PITA to work on and the T-MAXX is a great starter truck as said above. I do not think you are wanting a 1/8 buggy (8ight-rc8-xray808) as they are more for racing then terrorizing the neighbors. keep it fun and enjoy the hobby together. my father was into this so it came natural for me and my brothers we even got my grandfather into I have been in this sport for over 17 yrs. and I am only 22, my son is 2 yrs old and he tinkers along my side in the hobby room on his own truck (no he dont know exactly what he is doing but he does work on it in his mind)
Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Lord

I also didn't think a buggy will be what he wants. I would limit him to Monster truck, or stadium truck for overall enjoyment both on and off road. I still think for a 10 year old, and his dad, new to the hobby, mostly playing in the street. The jato would be the most fun, and easy to start and operate. If he plans more grass, off road stuff, he has to go Monster truck
Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

for around the house monster trucking ...it would be hard to beat a savage by hpi ....i mean i dont know of anything more durable bash after bash ...but someone said an lst 2 ...they are pretty bulletproof as well .....if you ever wanna run it on a track ...look at a losi muggy or a traxxass revo....imho
Old 11-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blktransam
The LOSI LST2 is also a great monster truck, the savage is a real PITA to work on and the T-MAXX is a great starter truck as said above. I do not think you are wanting a 1/8 buggy (8ight-rc8-xray808) as they are more for racing then terrorizing the neighbors. keep it fun and enjoy the hobby together. my father was into this so it came natural for me and my brothers we even got my grandfather into I have been in this sport for over 17 yrs. and I am only 22, my son is 2 yrs old and he tinkers along my side in the hobby room on his own truck (no he dont know exactly what he is doing but he does work on it in his mind)
Obivously you haven't worked on a Savage recently, It's like working on a 1/8 scale truggy, you can get to the diffs by removing 4 screws, to get to the tranny it's 6 screws and you dont have to take the tranny out of the truck either.It's a lot easier than working on a LST or a T-Maxx or Revo..Out of all the MT's the Savage is NOW the easiest to work on..period..I would get the Savage XL..it's a beast..
Old 11-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would look at the Team associated Monster GT 4.6 or if you really want to go crazy the 8.0 model. The 4.6 you start with a cordless drill and the 8.0 cmes with its own hand held starter. And if you ever wanted to race it you can do a few modifications to it and it will be track ready. I owned the 4.6 model and raced it and it is by far durable and you can get parts on ebay for super cheap.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

If its a 1/8 buggy he has his heart set on Id go with this " http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9754 " as a starter. If he were to race although it would require some changes. You can always upgrade it as you go if he actually starts having fun and showing some serious, real interest in the hobby. This buggy will get him going and parts are everywhere. These cars do take a bit of mechanical knowledge fortunately for me when I was ten I raced go karts and my dad was a knowledgeable man so when I started racing RC cars I had some mechanical experience. I'm sure if you have some mechanical experience you too can tune, repair and setup the car with your son too. Hopefully you and your son can experience the same fun we had. Start him early he may be a pro by 15.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would recommend either a Savage, or an SC8 for bashing. They are both going to be durable and easy to get parts for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.